View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
346. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

277 80.06%
  • ★★★★

47 13.58%
  • ★★★

12 3.47%
  • ★★

4 1.16%
  • 6 1.73%
Page 66 of 69 FirstFirst ... 16566263646566676869 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ISnowNothin View Post
    I know it's already been floated by others, and dismissed by many, but there's something to the theory that the future of Powers of X is about Moira’s 9th life, with Apocalypse.
    The data page in Powers of X 1 on surviving Mutants, the notation, while clearly Moira X’s files, is referenced as [ML_09........(APOC_build)].

Attachment 85648

In House of X 2, [Moira_L_TwoA] and [Moira_L_TwoB] are pages that tell the story of Moira’s second life. [Moira_L_Two] being the long form of the same notation, potentially abbreviated as [ML_02] would make sense.

We also have it made clear on the timeline of Nine, Moira and Apocalypse founded the X-Men, began working with Sinister, and her lifetime extends off the page, far past the “present day.”

Her Apocalypse-extended lifespan explains how Moira X knows about Rasputin IV, Nimrod’s Tower & Cardinal. The two unidentified Mutants on Asteroid K could be the Old Man/Apocalypse & Moira IX.

If they know of her powers, it explains Cardinals’s “next life” comment too.

Apocalypse and Moira IX are even fighting the same form of Nimrod and Tri-Sentinels we've seen in the Powers of X future in our glimpse at their war "without end."

Attachment 85649
    yaaaaaaas this is what I’m here for! this is the good stuff! as weird and thorough as I can be but in a way totally outside my wheelhouse! (not saying anything I’ve contributed is this good... just weird and thorough ha ha). Only thing that keeps me from being all-in on this is, we know Krakoa was a thing in the past of POX’s future, and I’d taken that to be a life 10 innovation. Do we think maybe Moira IX and Apocalypse did it first? I could buy that.. since I’m still thinking one of the primary life 10 innovations will end up being Proteus and Legion. Although I had pegged that as the unfortunate genesis of POX’s whole eugenics saga... huh, lots to think about. amazing post, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    spoilers:
    Considering how often X-Men (and Marvel in general) characters die only to be revived later, I wouldn't be surprised if the Moira of one timeline was brought back in some manner (actual resurrection, recreated as a clone, etc) which in turn causes a second Moira or a "split." In turn adding philosophical questions of the nature of existence and consciousness to the story. Going back to countless theories like if a clone is really just you again, if using a teleporter transports your consciousness or you die and a recreation of your consciousness appears at the other end, etc.

This would also explain why Rosenberg killed so many characters. To prime readers for thinking about character death and resurrection when this event rolled around.
    end of spoilers
    and this! love it!! speculation that goes outside the text as presented so far but actually thematically motivated instead of random-fact-connecting motivated! I see someone saying this would have to be the 9th life but the meta commentary would honestly work great for any of them — Moira VIII was doomed to go out in what looks like a super basic Event Comic so maybe she spoilers:
    gets brought back in the next one
    end of spoilers (not a “spoiler” probably but keeping with the spirit of your consideration)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post
    yaaaaaaas this is what I’m here for! this is the good stuff! as weird and thorough as I can be but in a way totally outside my wheelhouse! (not saying anything I’ve contributed is this good... just weird and thorough ha ha). Only thing that keeps me from being all-in on this is, we know Krakoa was a thing in the past of POX’s future, and I’d taken that to be a life 10 innovation. Do we think maybe Moira IX and Apocalypse did it first? I could buy that.. since I’m still thinking one of the primary life 10 innovations will end up being Proteus and Legion. Although I had pegged that as the unfortunate genesis of POX’s whole eugenics saga... huh, lots to think about. amazing post, thank you!
    Thanks! Yeah, it would make sense for her and Apocalypse to use Krakoa as well.
    Since they created the X-Men in their timeline, and Krakoa would still exist because its origins predate Moira's birth, it's likely they'd still have encountered it in the various iterations, and she'd have had exposure/familiarity by life 9.

And I would think, with the direct implication that some culmination of Moira X and Charles's plan is HoX, centered all around Krakoa, that Moira would've had some experiences in a past life that involved trying it. Otherwise how would she know about it? How would her powers/foreknowledge allow for the Krakoa innovation if it's not something that's been attempted in either the blank life 6, or, as this notation indicates, in life 9, maybe after the timeline goes off the page.

Note, the House of X part of timeline 10 doesn't say anything about Krakoa, so there's no precedent that indicates it wasn't ever established in a previous life as well.

Also worth noting, the references to the removal of the senior Mutant leadership and Sinister's takeover in PoX don't ever mention anyone specifically, like Magneto or Xavier, who we know are dead in Nine's TL. And this could also explain why who we think is "Magneto" is so apparently long-lived, and why they had a green style makeover. He could be a Chimera with Polaris as a genetic donor, maybe.
    Last edited by ISnowNothin; 08-11-2019 at 12:34 AM.

Incredible Member

This is an amazing run.

Thanks! Yeah, it would make sense for her and Apocalypse to use Krakoa as well.
    Since they created the X-Men in their timeline, and Krakoa would still exist because its origins predate Moira's birth, it's likely they'd still have encountered it in the various iterations, and she'd have had exposure/familiarity by life 9.

And I would think, with the direct implication that some culmination of Moira X and Charles's plan is HoX, centered all around Krakoa, that Moira would've had some experiences in a past life that involved trying it. Otherwise how would she know about it? How would her powers/foreknowledge allow for the Krakoa innovation if it's not something that's been attempted in either the blank life 6, or, as this notation indicates, in life 9, maybe after the timeline goes off the page.

Note, the House of X part of timeline 10 doesn't say anything about Krakoa, so there's no precedent that indicates it wasn't ever established in a previous life as well.
    Ah yes, because if 10 mentioned it then it would be cheating for 9 to have Krakoa and not mention it. All seems to check out... and a big part of ‘getting things right’ in 10 could be realizing that Krakoa would need Charles’... ah, we can call it ‘compassion’... at the helm instead of Apocalypse’s cold Darwinism.

Maybe Krakoa was easier to come by for Moira IX and Apocalypse because their X-Men didn’t have to make the island fly into space rescuing other X-Men, haha. I wonder if that incident will be addressed in the context of Moira X and Charles’ master plan. Hmmmm another thing if PoX is the life 9 future, I wonder if that was Moira’s first encounter with the Shi’ar, and what the circumstances of that were. And I wonder if Charles’ time off in space with Lilandra will be somewhat recontextualized as an attempt to foster a more favorable relationship. (Or maybe Lilandra’s mind-link with Charles that presages their meeting happens in every timeline in which Charles is alive, but goes very differently when he’s living happily with Moira)

Spectacular Member

Ah yes, because if 10 mentioned it then it would be cheating for 9 to have Krakoa and not mention it. All seems to check out... and a big part of ‘getting things right’ in 10 could be realizing that Krakoa would need Charles’... ah, we can call it ‘compassion’... at the helm instead of Apocalypse’s cold Darwinism.

Maybe Krakoa was easier to come by for Moira IX and Apocalypse because their X-Men didn’t have to make the island fly into space rescuing other X-Men, haha. I wonder if that incident will be addressed in the context of Moira X and Charles’ master plan. Hmmmm another thing if PoX is the life 9 future, I wonder if that was Moira’s first encounter with the Shi’ar, and what the circumstances of that were. And I wonder if Charles’ time off in space with Lilandra will be somewhat recontextualized as an attempt to foster a more favorable relationship. (Or maybe Lilandra’s mind-link with Charles that presages their meeting happens in every timeline in which Charles is alive, but goes very differently when he’s living happily with Moira)
    Maybe the Mutant Shi'ar connection will be expanded on with the Ninth timeline's mention about Moira and Apocalypse rescuing the first Horsemen and returning to Earth? And again, if it involves the first Horsemen's whereabouts, it would be the same across timelines, because their history FAR predate's Moira's birth, and perhaps the Shi'ar have much longer, deeper relationship to Mutants through Apocalypse.

Apocalypse IS shown in the 616 founding of SHIELD's ancient order in Egypt, fighting alongside its founder Imhotep (and the original Moon Knight) agains who? Longtime Shi-Ar foes, the Brood.
    And this SHIELD origin that connects Apocalypse and therefore Mutantkind to Shi'ar adjacent aliens, the Brood? Why, it was written by none other than one Jonathan Hickman.

Sounds convincing..!

And the mutants in Shi’ar space are being used as a buffer against Brood territory. And also as warrior “stock”, so definitely sounds like a subordinate relationship that they might want to better negotiate the next time around.

Another thought: this may have been obvious to others from the start but it only just occurred to me that maybe “Asteroid K” *is* the island launched into space in Giant Size #1, or maybe similar circumstances that Giant Size #1 as we know it was then used to recreate because Moira knew it would come in handy later... although I want to be careful about attributing too many familiar stories to heretofore unknown behind the scenes maneuvering, and I assume Hickman does too. He already sort of addressed that fear by showing how many familiar things happen across timelines no matter what Moira does.

BANNED

Also worth noting, the references to the removal of the senior Mutant leadership and Sinister's takeover in PoX don't ever mention anyone specifically, like Magneto or Xavier, who we know are dead in Nine's TL. And this could also explain why who we think is "Magneto" is so apparently long-lived, and why they had a green style makeover. He could be a Chimera with Polaris as a genetic donor, maybe.
    Yeah, on a side note I don't know who/what that is but I don't think the green is a coincidence any more than that Polaris doppelganger Hound is. (I assumed it was a clone/Chimera of Polaris)

BANNED

Another thought: this may have been obvious to others from the start but it only just occurred to me that maybe “Asteroid K” *is* the island launched into space in Giant Size #1, or maybe similar circumstances that Giant Size #1 as we know it was then used to recreate because Moira knew it would come in handy later... although I want to be careful about attributing too many familiar stories to heretofore unknown behind the scenes maneuvering, and I assume Hickman does too. He already sort of addressed that fear by showing how many familiar things happen across timelines no matter what Moira does.
    My impression was that "Asteroid K" was just the name for the remaining surviving Krakoan landmass still inhabitable and still on Earth - the 'black tumor' or whatever. I may be way off but I did not get the impression, based on the graphic shown, that it was actually off-world. It just looked like all that was left of Krakoa that hadn't been decimated.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyMcDonald View Post
    This is an amazing run.
    lol00
    Right???:All of both issues...

Apocalypse IS shown in the 616 founding of SHIELD's ancient order in Egypt, fighting alongside its founder Imhotep (and the original Moon Knight) agains who? Longtime Shi-Ar foes, the Brood.
    And this SHIELD origin that connects Apocalypse and therefore Mutantkind to Shi'ar adjacent aliens, the Brood? Why, it was written by none other than one Jonathan Hickman.
    That.
    Sounds.
    Horrible.
    I praay that's not The kinda lowbrow zhit to expect from Hickman. do
    did you mean to put SHIELD or Shiar? either way Apoc teaming up with Moon Knight...ugh
    This all happened a thousand years ago.. not muchbof a conect6 IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    My impression was that "Asteroid K" was just the name for the remaining surviving Krakoan landmass still inhabitable and still on Earth - the 'black tumor' or whatever. I may be way off but I did not get the impression, based on the graphic shown, that it was actually off-world. It just looked like all that was left of Krakoa that hadn't been decimated.
    Hmmm it’s described as being in the Sol system which isn’t mutually exclusive to being on Earth obviously, but I wonder if they wouldn’t have just said Earth if that’s where it was. Unless the wording was to just emphasize Shi’ar space as being beyond our solar system. But there’s also the fact that it’s *called* Asteroid. Then again Rictor’s surname is Richter like the scale and he has earthquake powers but calls himself Rictor so maybe mutants aren’t the best at naming things.

ANOTHER thought I had while skimming POX1 again: if the year 100-1000 stuff is life 9, the year 10 stuff would still seem to be life 10 definitively since Charles and Magneto are alive and well, and cutting between time periods in a way that obviously implies a direct chronal relationship when they’re actually also separate timelines would *kind of* feel like cheating. But I guess Hickman has the time and space to make it not feel like cheating, if that’s what he’s doing!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    lol00
    Right???:All of both issues...

That.
    Sounds.
    Horrible.
    I praay that's not The kinda lowbrow zhit to expect from Hickman. do
    did you mean to put SHIELD or Shiar? either way Apoc teaming up with Moon Knight...ugh
    This all happened a thousand years ago.. not muchbof a conect6 IMHO
    ? I wrote SHIELD, and Shi'ar, and meant each? The Brood are longtime Shi'ar foes, and they are the alien invaders that created the order of the Shield that is the beginning of what becomes SHIELD in Hickman's SHIELD series. In that first issue, in that sequence, what I described happened, Imhotep, along with a young Apocalypse, and the original Moon Knight, and an army of Egyptian warriors fought the Brood and stopped an invasion.

I'm suggesting that this story may connect to Apocalypse's First Horsemen being apparently off-world, because they are in need of rescuing and returning to Earth, as noted in the Ninth Moira timeline.

Because they're Apocalypse's original Horsemen, and we've seen several replacements from later eras that still predate Moira's birth in the 616, logically all the various timelines would have had the same fate for the First Horsemen. That's all.

Whatever happened to the First Horsemen to get rid of them happened thousands of years ago, and this book goes literally a thousand years into the future, and we know includes Moira and Apocalypse. Why would the scope be limited?

Hmmm it’s described as being in the Sol system which isn’t mutually exclusive to being on Earth obviously, but I wonder if they wouldn’t have just said Earth if that’s where it was. Unless the wording was to just emphasize Shi’ar space as being beyond our solar system. But there’s also the fact that it’s *called* Asteroid. Then again Rictor’s surname is Richter like the scale and he has earthquake powers but calls himself Rictor so maybe mutants aren’t the best at naming things.

ANOTHER thought I had while skimming POX1 again: if the year 100-1000 stuff is life 9, the year 10 stuff would still seem to be life 10 definitively since Charles and Magneto are alive and well, and cutting between time periods in a way that obviously implies a direct chronal relationship when they’re actually also separate timelines would *kind of* feel like cheating. But I guess Hickman has the time and space to make it not feel like cheating, if that’s what he’s doing!
    They specify the planet the other locations are, the Shi'ar Homeworld. It would feel weird to me to call it Asteroid K and be on Earth in the first place, the fact that they identify the planet for the other two and the solar system for Asteroid K makes me think it's for sure off-world. It's also distinct from the No-Place in the captions. The No-Place is referred to as "the Hub," and seems to be used to get to Krakoa, but is distinct from Asteroid K itself.

As for cheating, I know what you mean, but it wouldn't really be. Again, so far nothing has directly connected the later timelines. As has been pointed out by others from the beginning, the faces are only Xavier in the first two panels of that sequence. Maybe that's part of why it's shown "Xavier," "Xavier," Nimrod," "the Librarian," to signify and hint that "those last two aren't part of the same sequence." Because right from the start, they're not.
    Last edited by ISnowNothin; 08-11-2019 at 02:39 AM.

Sounds convincing..!

And the mutants in Shi’ar space are being used as a buffer against Brood territory. And also as warrior “stock”, so definitely sounds like a subordinate relationship that they might want to better negotiate the next time around.

Assuming we ever see any more than that, it might not be as cleanly cut as "Subordinate".

Some of them are clearly Guardians. I never really saw the Imperial Guard as strictly "Subordinate".

Spectacular Member

Also, I'm not fully convinced at all, I'm just starting to think it's fairly plausible. I'm hoping we'll have a better idea Wednesday!

I have a theory that we saw her beat Destiny decades ago and just didn’t know it at the time (I mean, it’ll be a retcon if it happens, but a plausible one that doesn’t necessarily contradict anything.) Though you would think she would have no reason to beat Destiny once she earnestly dedicated herself to the mutant cause in life 4..
    I suspect her plan is not quite so dedicated.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I know it's already been floated by others, and dismissed by many, but there's something to the theory that the future of Powers of X is about Moira’s 9th life, with Apocalypse.
    The data page in Powers of X 1 on surviving Mutants, the notation, while clearly Moira X’s files, is referenced as [ML_09........(APOC_build)].

Attachment 85648

In House of X 2, [Moira_L_TwoA] and [Moira_L_TwoB] are pages that tell the story of Moira’s second life. [Moira_L_Two] being the long form of the same notation, potentially abbreviated as [ML_02] would make sense.

We also have it made clear on the timeline of Nine, Moira and Apocalypse founded the X-Men, began working with Sinister, and her lifetime extends off the page, far past the “present day.”

Her Apocalypse-extended lifespan explains how Moira X knows about Rasputin IV, Nimrod’s Tower & Cardinal. The two unidentified Mutants on Asteroid K could be the Old Man/Apocalypse & Moira IX.

If they know of her powers, it explains Cardinals’s “next life” comment too.

Apocalypse and Moira IX are even fighting the same form of Nimrod and Tri-Sentinels we've seen in the Powers of X future in our glimpse at their war "without end."

Attachment 85649
    I don’t think any of this would contradict this being T10 or ML10 in that case. It does throw up the possibility that some of the data we are seeing is not data gathered from T10, however.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.