Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Exclamation Harry August author Claire North considering suing Marvel for plagiarism!

Uh oh, big trouble for Marvel and Hickman. Claire North, author of The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, has noticed the similarities between her book and House of X. She's wondering if she can sue for plagiarism. Hickman is on record as having read Harry August three years ago.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08...orth-spoilers/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Seems too much like a general concept to me (and not a particularly new one), there's no coincidence in the story or the characters, the case isn't particularly strong, if it was Disney suing an individual author I could see them winning, but the other way around I don't see North winning at all, the best case scenario she has is Disney making a deal out of court giving her some money, and that would be just to make the case go away fast (and that would only happen under a threat of the story going big on the press, the money they would give her would be less than the money they would have to spend on PR)

Uh.....

Are Eric Bress and J. Mackye Gruber gonna sue next or?

I need to get her number. I'm actually sueing her on the behalf of Bill Murray and tmade madehe producers of Groundhogs Day+ The anime studio that released that CREEPY AF Urusei Yatsura movie

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxi_miceli View Post
    Seems too much like a general concept to me (and not a particularly new one), there's no coincidence in the story or the characters, the case isn't particularly strong, if it was Disney suing an individual author I could see them winning, but the other way around I don't see North winning at all, the best case scenario she has is Disney making a deal out of court giving her some money, and that would be just to make the case go away fast (and that would only happen under a threat of the story going big on the press, the money they would give her would be less than the money they would have to spend on PR)
    This right here. It's too much of a general concept and Disney lawyers (if not Marvel lawyers) would bury her in paperwork.

BANNED

Someone is desperate for attention lol.

Two of the three biggest Marvel events in the past few years have their core concepts inspired by Philip K. Dick stories, but Bendis and Spencer still have their Infinity Stones.

philip k dick's middle name is kindred, holy ****
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

ridiculous. I dont think reincarnation is her individual property...media riffs off other media all the time

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dimension. View Post
    Someone is desperate for attention lol.
    Exactly. Although it’s nice to see that someone perceives comic books as bigger than they are and a way to actually get attention, as opposed to a niche product in a corner.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Uh oh, big trouble for Marvel and Hickman. Claire North, author of The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, has noticed the similarities between her book and House of X. She's wondering if she can sue for plagiarism. Hickman is on record as having read Harry August three years ago.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08...orth-spoilers/
    1) story ideas aren't copyrightable

https://www.writersdigest.com/online...yright-an-idea

2) bleeingcool is clickbait.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 08-10-2019 at 10:28 AM.

At least the controversy is “ripping on a good idea” and not “my comic has hidden anti-Semitic imagery”

Yeah, the general concept of someone living multiple lives is not a new one.

There is a big difference between a Groundhog Day style time-loop, and a reincarnation time-loop. If you've actually read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August you'd know it's actually nothing like Groundhog Day or Edge of Tomorrow, mainly because the character has to relive his entire life over again, so cannot fine-tune events in the way that GD and EoT rely on to give the characters omnscience. Replay, which I'd never heard of, sounds very similar to TFFLoHA, especially with the protagonist realising that there are others in the same situation, and evidently came before it.

No idea how similar House of X will be. FWIW, the Harry August novel was very good, imo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Exactly. Although it’s nice to see that someone perceives comic books as bigger than they are and a way to actually get attention, as opposed to a niche product in a corner.
    We can thank the mcu for this i guess lol.

Imagine if you could report plagiarism to anyone who uses the trope of "Person from a post-apocalyptic future travels to the past to avoid it."