View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
346. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

277 80.06%
  • ★★★★

47 13.58%
  • ★★★

12 3.47%
  • ★★

4 1.16%
  • 6 1.73%
Page 32 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    Maybe she died before her powers manifested and that life really wasn’t important because nothing notable happened...
    I honestly don't think so. Hickman is very deliberate in everything he writes. If you have read his FF or Avengers, you'll see that something that seemed not so important at the time, later is revealed to be very important and makes complete sense. Hickman is a master storyteller.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

So, in this current life...
    1. Jean never hosted the Phoenix Force (hence the "Marvel Girl" codename and costume).
    2. Cyclops never hosted the Phoenix Force and became "mutant militant", but Xavier knew he did. So, is that why he gets a blue version of his costume b/c Xavier respects that aspect of him?
    3. The O5 never came to the present.

I'm just trying to make sense of this INCREDIBLY AWESOME reveal. So, this CURRENT era for the X-Men is brand new for them because they're unaware of anything that happened in Moira's previous lives?

This is cool, scary and has had me thinking about Moira ALL DAY, when I've barely given her two minutes thought in the 31 years I've been reading X-books.

Mighty Member

Lotta presumptions off a lot of no info.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    1. Jean never hosted the Phoenix Force (hence the "Marvel Girl" codename and costume).
    2. Cyclops never hosted the Phoenix Force and became "mutant militant", but Xavier knew he did. So, is that why he gets a blue version of his costume b/c Xavier respects that aspect of him?

I'm just trying to make sense of this INCREDIBLY AWESOME reveal. So, this CURRENT era for the X-Men is brand new for them because they're unaware of anything that happened in Moira's previous lives?

This is cool, scary and has had me thinking about Moira ALL DAY, when I've barely given her two minutes thought in the 31 years I've been reading X-books.
    Current Moira lived through the regular 616 timeline.

Sounds like you're thinking about Moira the power set and its implications, not Moira the character.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Sounds like you're thinking about Moira the power set and its implications, not Moira the character.

yes, the power set.

What if Moira was ever cloned?

Looking at you Life 9...

Yea that’s what I’ve gathered as well. Either Moira has lived through the 616 version already or it technically hasn’t happened yet.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

We have nothing that indicates this.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Isn't life 10 616? Everything on that timeline seem to have happened in comics canon.

Life 6 is missing which is interesting.

This was an interesting and different Destiny than the one I'm familiar with. I quite liked it. Probably she was only this ruthless upon finding out about Moira.

Mighty Member

Yes Moira is shown to be more prominent to the history of the X-men than previously thought but she is not absolutely essential as some seem to think. Some things may have played out differently but Charles would've still created the X-men without her. In life 8 she joined Magneto but they were defeated by an alliance of heroes which included the X-men. I took this story as her gifting Xavier with past/future knowledge to affect certain outcomes favorable towards mutants. Not creating the X-men and being the originator of the dream, that was always Charles. Also should she die as a child before her abilities manifest or suffer her final death the timeline would continue onwards. How else do you explain Bishop's existence, he will not be born for a few more decades well after Moira's death. So that would point to the timeline continuing on, Moira just won't be around to affect it. All in all a fantastic issue.

Cyke is awesome! Despair! The Jeeper 2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Again I am not referring to runs or writers. I am referring to editorial direction. I am not even referring to what most people call ‘The Dark Age’ but instead the death of comic book forward motion after the bankruptcy. The end of AvX for me marks a watershed. The moment that Marvel realised they needed to stop being so corporate and allow writers to do what they are paid to do and actually tell stories that go somewhere.

So I am not saying Gillen’s X-Men was poor or that this story was ‘dark’, just that editorial decisions in the mid 2000s created a very cyclical storytelling mode that was essentially pointless. Partly out of the necessity of rebuilding the company. In many ways AvX helped pull us out of this. The writers demanded the opportunity to actually create a new status quo and push forward rather than provide an illusory change that would inevitably get reset. The editors agreed for once and Marvel Now was born.
    I find Bendis's tenure as one big holding pattern. Nothing really changed during his tenure that lasted besides Iceman being gay. His impact on the books is minimal. His last year of Uncanny was especially painful with the Last Testament and the revolution that went nowhere.
    "Listen to me...you can't kill an idea. It always comes back. Resurrected. Or reborn...into a different form." - Cyclops, Secret Wars

Incredible Member

Amazing - he elevates a character that has not been important recently (Moira), provides a pseudo-explanation for the stories previous writers have done without entirely waving them away (Phoenix Five, etc), provides possibilities of where he is going to take the story (with Destiny saying Moira has 10 or potentially 11 lives). Hickman has certainly revitalized the X-men, and has got me excited for the series for the first time in years.

That's not even counting how he has made us reconsider even the name X-Men, by using the X as a roman numeral while also acknowledging its prevalence to signify mutants. I had just thought that Moira 'eX' and Powers of 'eX' was just a nod to how things are named in the X-Men book. But these two issues have decontextualized it as 10.

Hickman really is amazing on these team books (Fantastic Four, Avengers, and now X-men)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Isn't life 10 616? Everything on that timeline seem to have happened in comics canon.
    Yes, it's absolutely the one that we're in and always have been in.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post

Life 6 is missing which is interesting.

This was an interesting and different Destiny than the one I'm familiar with. I quite liked it. Probably she was only this ruthless upon finding out about Moira.
    Destiny was always the ruthless one. They should bring her back: she gave Mystique some needed direction.