View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
346. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

277 80.06%
  • ★★★★

47 13.58%
  • ★★★

12 3.47%
  • ★★

4 1.16%
  • 6 1.73%
Page 36 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    So on the basis of this reveal, does anyone think that Excalibur is about that group travelling to the other Moira based timelines to try and “fix” them?
    There is no other timelines to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    this would be genius if this is how he got inspo for moiras new powers

https://twitter.com/aliastager/statu...597991424?s=20
    It most likely is. And this isn't a knock on him when I say this: most good writers will dig up stuff like this during the writing process. Research is part of the fun of writing. Integrating that research into what you're writing is even more fun. In the process of this event, Hickman's probably dug much deeper than anyone will know or see unless he explicitly says what research articles, obscure historical factoids, etc he used (or didn't but uncovered along the way).

Another takeaway from this post is that I'm saying he's a good writer, and this is one sign of it. How I see his methodology as a professional differs from how I see this event, though.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I feel like Hickman just found this giant pile of SCI-FI coke and just swan dived into and a came out and wrote this comic in an hour....

Its kinda glorious.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I find that interesting. I wonder why some things in the tenth timeline are under the line and not above. I also think breaking the rules refers to actually making changes to a past life.
    That's what I was thinking re: Excalibur.

I had to read the issue twice to really grasp what was going on. I'm not super familiar with X-Men pre 2000 outside of the big stories like DPS and God Loves Man Kills so I'm guessing I missed all the easter eggs That being said, when I read the book the second time it really was interesting. I would definitely give it 5 stars, but I must say that I feel like there are definitely AU's and time travel going on even though Hickman said he wasn't using it. He is using a unique form to deliver the time travel and AU, but at the end of the day there is literally a branching graph that shows all the different outcomes, even if they reset on themselves. Not complaining about it, just not buying that he isn't using those plot devices.

Edit: I read through most of the thread and didn't see this brought up. Why do we believe that Moira only has 10 or 11 lives? Do we just take Destiny at her word? Irene was clearly trying to manipulate Moira and if I was in her shoes I'd do my best to make Moira believe her reset button had an expiration date as well. In PoX we see X^0 thru X^1000 which leads me to think Moira is trying to get it perfect at least over 1000 life times. It could be I'm overthinking it, but normally mutant powers don't "run out" so why would Moira's powers stop working after the 11th use? This is of course assuming she makes it past age 13, the book clearly stated that was the trigger to start the mutation and it fits with previous knowledge of when mutation activates.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

So timeline 6 is POX and timeline 10 is HOX?
    Timeline 6 must be a Moira team up with Sinister because in all other timelines Moira teamed up with Xavier, Magneto an Apocalypse. Sinister is on the cover of POX 5.

Fantastic Member

[edit: can't delete, reposted below]
    Last edited by Jness; 08-07-2019 at 11:45 PM.

Maybe Timeline 6 is the Deadly Genesis era of Moira.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    this would be genius if this is how he got inspo for moiras new powers

https://twitter.com/aliastager/statu...597991424?s=20
    And interesting that Moira means "Destiny" - as in the mutant Destiny. Perhaps there's a reason Destiny knew to look for her?

Moira VI's timeline is where 2014 Thanos is going to come from.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Legendary. The web of greatness continues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsify View Post
    Yes, she makes different timelines every single time. It opens up the possibility (given what destiny said) that the entire timeline could be rewritten into a new canon.. but in the end almost everyone would be the same except for moira and select events that she influences in some way (if they choose to do that--it isn't guaranteed). But her current life is the 616 and all the others are just sort of explanations of her retcon'd mutation and the things she learned to get where she is now. It's a rather neat trick, and actually brought up against another mutant power that would've given people endless speculation I think if they hadn't addressed it--what happens when reincarnation meets precognition. Evidently, Destiny's precognition is so absolute she can see alternate realities. Ordinarily I would imagine most would say the reincarnator becomes a big ol' pandoras box they can't figure out because they aren't bound by death's permanence like everybody else.

Interesting storytelling but Moira isn't a huge favorite of mine so I'm still kind of waiting for them to show off more people than the usual suspects whenever power plays go on. The more I read this, though, the more I think Xavier/Magneto/Apocalypse should be done away with altogether the next time Marvel tries to reboot things (with as much leniency as Hickman has). Ultimately, it inevitably comes back to them, and there's only so many ways you can retell the same story over 50+ years.
    Who the hell would care about this thing if not for the Magneto/Xavier feud and Apocalypse hasnt had a huge story since like 99. Lol.

Marvel has revolved all that Avenger crap since like 2004..its time to push the A listers again..add in Sinister, Exodus, Rogue, Lorna...bring them all in. Make Wanda a mutant again too...

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Basically the next mutant power couple. I need a genocidal mutant daddy who’ll slaughter some Avengers for me

I'm really eager to know more about Moira 9th life and its war "without end"

Very intrigued by the few elements given in the timeline "Moira and Apocalyse rescue the first Horsemen and return to Earth".

Not sure what to do with "the first Horsemen"... And about returning to Earth, one Horseman seems to be Firelord... so aliens get involved. (No clue about who the other Horsemen could be btw...)

Then in the Xth life, she uses Shi'ar tech...

Also, what did they "enslave Sinister" for? Was the Chimera strategy first elaborated and tried during the 9th life?

Of course the quotes at the beginning and the end of the issue still have to get their full meaning...

Also the two "and then..." black panels before the 10th life...

Oh. A last one,. How Moira did learn about Apocalypse and how, when, where waking him? 6th life?
    Last edited by Abe; 08-08-2019 at 12:39 AM.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post
    That was my thought exactly. She is the PERFECT character to do this with. Quite possibly the ONLY existing character they could have done this with and have it be so meaningful.
    She wasnt the only character. You could of pushed Sinister in this role considering he was born before most X characters..you could of debuted Magneto's first daughter as pulling the strings in a huge retcon as well. There were options but this isnt bad and it twists everything upside down.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    It most likely is. And this isn't a knock on him when I say this: most good writers will dig up stuff like this during the writing process. Research is part of the fun of writing. Integrating that research into what you're writing is even more fun. In the process of this event, Hickman's probably dug much deeper than anyone will know or see unless he explicitly says what research articles, obscure historical factoids, etc he used (or didn't but uncovered along the way).

Another takeaway from this post is that I'm saying he's a good writer, and this is one sign of it. How I see his methodology as a professional differs from how I see this event, though.
    Well thank you for recognition because I honestly do believe he did his research when it comes to the type of story he wanted to tell. Who knows where this story might go, it might get retconned in the next year but at least it had the balls to take ambitious leaps with the X-Men mythos not just individual characters.