View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
346. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

277 80.06%
  • ★★★★

47 13.58%
  • ★★★

12 3.47%
  • ★★

4 1.16%
  • 6 1.73%
Page 61 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If anything, Moira feels more like a lift of the Supernatural episode "Mystery Spot"(2009) than anything else.

Moira = Sam Winchester
    Wasn’t Dean the one who kept dying?

*writes notes on reactions*
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Wasn’t Dean the one who kept dying?
    Which means Sam was the one who was living out a series of different lives.

(See what you are saying, though...)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    *writes notes on reactions*
    What do you mean?

LIFE TEN

YEAR 46

Jonathan is arrested for plagiarism and tax evasion.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

As with everything wrong in the world, I blame recap culture. /s

(Not that I wouldn’t want to this author to know about it and I have no idea if she has a legitimate case, but it definitely helped stoke the twitter outrage that it came on her and her readers’ radar via an IGN video breathlessly listing the broad strokes of the concept while showing clips of Rose Byrne, and then, since this is probably the only way they think viewers will care, speculating that it will be adapted into an MCU movie in no time. Might seem less worth rallying against if it was clear that it has a lot of particulars and personality of its own, and that it’s just one issue in a weekly comic series that will probably be on to another headline-grabbing concept by Wednesday.)

Still, I’m not sure “particulars and personality” would change the substance of a plagiarism suit should she pursue one. I haven’t read the novel, but its premise does have several commonalities with HOX2 that aren’t present in Groundhog Day or most of the other examples people point to (that it’s the protagonist’s whole life repeating, they pursue different scientific fields in different lives, and there’s a clause that they permanently die if it happens before a certain point, though in this case it’s birth and not puberty) AND there’s an old Hickman interview where he mentions reading and enjoying it.

But if it were to go to court, does anyone know of any precedent for that? Any *comic* that’s been sued for plagiarism? I’m sure comics have shamelessly lifted from other mediums plenty but are probably usually too lowly a form to be worth the effort. The difference here has gotta be the “THIS IS A BIG DEAL AND ALSO A BREATH AWAY FROM BEING A BILLION DOLLAR MOVIE” tone with which anything Marvel related is presented for mainstream consumption these days...
    Last edited by TOTALITY; 08-09-2019 at 09:21 PM. Reason: noted sarcasm just so no one thinks I’m being flippant about *gestures everywhere*

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post
    As with everything wrong in the world, I blame recap culture.

(Not that I wouldn’t want to this author to know about it and I have no idea if she has a legitimate case, but it definitely helped stoke the twitter outrage that it came on her and her readers’ radar via an IGN video breathlessly listing the broad strokes of the concept while showing clips of Rose Byrne, and then, since this is probably the only way they think viewers will care, speculating that it will be adapted into an MCU movie in no time. Might seem less worth rallying against if it was clear that it has a lot of particulars and personality of its own, and that it’s just one issue in a weekly comic series that will probably be on to another headline-grabbing concept by Wednesday.)

Still, I’m not sure “particulars and personality” would change the substance of a plagiarism suit should she pursue one. I haven’t read the novel, but its premise does have several commonalities with HOX2 that aren’t present in Groundhog Day or most of the other examples people point to (that it’s the protagonist’s whole life repeating, they pursue different scientific fields in different lives, and there’s a clause that they permanently die if it happens before a certain point, though in this case it’s birth and not puberty) AND there’s an old Hickman interview where he mentions reading and enjoying it.

But if it were to go to court, does anyone know of any precedent for that? Any *comic* that’s been sued for plagiarism? I’m sure comics have shamelessly lifted from other mediums plenty but are probably usually too lowly a form to be worth the effort. The difference here has gotta be the “THIS IS A BIG DEAL AND ALSO A BREATH AWAY FROM BEING A BILLION DOLLAR MOVIE” tone with which anything Marvel related is presented for mainstream consumption these days...
    I'm really not thinking about it or worried about it. Never heard of the other book, still isn't going to change my enjoyment. and if it's a legitimate claim then it will be handled where it should be.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

There's dozens of cases like this. It's going nowhere fast.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    There's dozens of cases like this. It's going nowhere fast.
    Those dozens of cases didn't have the accused writer going on record praising the original work previously. Lol Jonathan.

BANNED

No, there's actually a number of cases where a writer acknowledges a creative debt or just a shared inspiration or influence either from or similar to a prior work. That doesn't and hasn't constituted plagiarism. It won't here.
    Last edited by powerpax; 08-09-2019 at 10:50 PM.

No, there's actually a number of cases where a writer acknowledges a creative debt or just a shared inspiration or influence either from or similar to a prior work. That doesn't and hasn't constituted plagiarism. It won't here.
    Well, those cases also didn't have a "Soon to be made into a billion dollar grossing blockbuster" expectation around them.

I think this would subside if this story didn't make it into the MCU, so even this accusation has probably killed its chances of being adapted for the big screen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Well, those cases also didn't have a "Soon to be made into a billion dollar grossing blockbuster" expectation around them.
    Where is the evidence House of X does? At present it's drenched in ancient continuity not suited for MCU treatment, it has no immediate bearing that we know of. Going by a breathless IGN clickbait video speculating wildly is no way to read tea leaves.

I think this would subside if this story didn't make it into the MCU, so even this accusation has probably killed its chances of being adapted for the big screen.
    I think you haven't seen enough of these cases die on the vine. But they have. Like the guy who had 'proof' the Duffer Brothers had stolen Stranger Things? This woman hasn't even brought suit. Hickman will praise the author's work and this will be a non-story in a matter of weeks. Not that it's much of a scandal now anyway.

Me after House of X #1: “wow this would be cool to see in a movie”

Me three issues in: “there’s no way this could ever work as a movie. viva comics!”

The thing is to most people Marvel = huge movies. I realized neither this author nor her fans tweeting about it have mentioned Hickman. Understandably to most people it’s just coming from “Marvel” the cultural monolith. And that easily feels like Goliath preying on the Davids of the world..

Where is the evidence House of X does? At present it's drenched in ancient continuity not suited for MCU treatment, it has no immediate bearing that we know of. Going by a breathless IGN clickbait video speculating wildly is no way to read tea leaves.
    Currently talking about fan expectations after the recent transitions of Spider-Verse, Carol as Captain Marvel and now Jane Foster Thor onto the big screen. There's already chatter online about HoX being perfect for the MCU, as it shares its "utopian sovereign state governed entirely by a single race" concept with the Oscar winning and mammoth sized success that was Black Panther. And Feige would want to do something different with the X-Men than the formula Fox focused on.

Also, at this point, aren't most people familiar with the broadstrokes of X-Men mythos thanks to the Fox films? I can see the MCU just building on the knowledge of the franchise and its familiarity with audiences like how they did with Spider-Man.

I think you haven't seen enough of these cases die on the vine. But they have. Like the guy who had 'proof' the Duffer Brothers had stolen Stranger Things? This woman hasn't even brought suit. Hickman will praise the author's work and this will be a non-story in a matter of weeks. Not that it's much of a scandal now anyway.
    It will probably die down (unless as I said, the Moira concept is adapted elsewhere, especially in the MCU, in which case the amount of money and awareness involved would be too much for the accuser to ignore if Marvel is piggybacking off her ideas).

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post
    Me after House of X #1: “wow this would be cool to see in a movie”

Me three issues in: “there’s no way this could ever work as a movie. viva comics!”
    We live in a world where something like Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse not just exists but exists as an Oscar winning, critically acclaimed movie, so am not sure what would and wouldn't work in a movie or movie series anymore.