View Poll Results: How would you rate this issue?

Voters
346. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

277 80.06%
  • ★★★★

47 13.58%
  • ★★★

12 3.47%
  • ★★

4 1.16%
  • 6 1.73%
Page 62 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Spider-Verse, Jane Thor and Captain Marvel are all ideas which require little to no background to translate as standalone ideas. HoX so far? Not so much. The most they'll lift is the island nation/sovereign state and aggressive stance.

Either way, this non-scandal isn't going anywhere.

Uh yeah just seems like Hickman and North both wrote stories about time loops :/

Astonishing Member

You know maybe I'm crazy but I'm starting to buy this whole "Two Moira's" business mainly because of this panel

RCO025_1565191934.jpg

Specifically with the two black panels and the repeated phrasing "And then" I feel like Moira discovered a to create 2 lives simultaneously this would also fit into Destiny's prophecy of Moira having an 11th life? Idk just spitballing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    A writer has accused Hickman of plagiarism: https://mobile.twitter.com/ClaireNor...53654010781696
    This is some high cringe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    *writes notes on reactions*
    But this is even more high cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post
    Yeah, in my plea to not go searching for lies at the expense of appreciating the straightforward reading, I did start to think “you know, maybe looking for misdirection is just how some people enjoy it and I shouldn’t police that”
    I don’t think anyone is trying to police it. Even the weird and wonderful theories make us think about what this story is about. It is more how do we sort the likely from the unlikely, the logical from the fanciful.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    A writer has accused Hickman of plagiarism: https://mobile.twitter.com/ClaireNor...53654010781696
    That’s not how plagiarism works. That’s just silly. Some of us immediately recognised this as inspiration in this thread but those of us that did didn’t cry out ‘this is plagiarism’. The entire meaning and context are different. The outcome will be different. The elements of the original that got very dry where different reincarnating characters end up having philosophical conversations are probably not going to happen here.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I don’t think anyone is trying to police it. Even the weird and wonderful theories make us think about what this story is about. It is more how do we sort the likely from the unlikely, the logical from the fanciful.
    Agreed. People who have come here to fully grasp the story via discussion have also ended up even more confused by these highly illogical theories.

BANNED

That’s not how plagiarism works. That’s just silly. Some of us immediately recognised this as inspiration in this thread but those of us that did didn’t cry out ‘this is plagiarism’. The entire meaning and context are different. The outcome will be different. The elements of the original that got very dry where different reincarnating characters end up having philosophical conversations are probably not going to happen here.
    Any writer of worth knows this, you don't see Well's estate come after every time travel writer. I'm a bit embarrassed for Claire North tbh, perhaps she thinks she may become more relevant/infamous by playing up to this, despite Hickman already acknowledging her lol.

But if it were to go to court, does anyone know of any precedent for that? Any *comic* that’s been sued for plagiarism? I’m sure comics have shamelessly lifted from other mediums plenty but are probably usually too lowly a form to be worth the effort. The difference here has gotta be the “THIS IS A BIG DEAL AND ALSO A BREATH AWAY FROM BEING A BILLION DOLLAR MOVIE” tone with which anything Marvel related is presented for mainstream consumption these days...
    There is a reason why Kurt Vonnegut didn’t sue Alan Moore over the fake alien invasion in Watchmen, and Theodore Sturgeon didn’t do the same with Vonnegut’s Sirens of Titan, because copying the premise of a story is not plagiarism.

They are just three different stories with the same central plot device.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-10-2019 at 02:26 AM.

There is a reason why Kurt Vonnegut didn’t sue Alan Moore over the fake alien invasion in Watchmen, and Theodore Sturgeon didn’t do the same with Vonnegut’s Sirens If Titan, because copying the premise of a story is not plagiarism.

They are just three different stories with the same central plot device.
    Yeah, after reading more about the rules for this stuff I realize this doesn’t really come close to resembling what would actually count as plagiarism. Even that Stranger Things case that was invoked earlier in this thread, I remember their angle was not that the show was too similar to the plaintiff’s concepts, but that the Duffer Brothers had supposedly entered into a “verbal contract” with plaintiff when he approached them, and then violated it. And that was thrown out. Being able to prove that Hickman read the book doesn’t make it any less legal (or ethical) that he took inspiration from the general concept. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, after reading more about the rules for this stuff I realize this doesn’t really come close to resembling what would actually count as plagiarism. Even that Stranger Things case that was invoked earlier in this thread, I remember their angle was not that the show was too similar to the plaintiff’s concepts, but that the Duffer Brothers had supposedly entered into a “verbal contract” with plaintiff when he approached them, and then violated it. And that was thrown out. Being able to prove that Hickman read the book doesn’t make it any less legal (or ethical) that he took inspiration from the general concept. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Those of us that write even a little, and probably others that are destined to write, will be familiar with the phenomenon of reading a book or watching a movie and in the first act suddenly seeing a whole wonderful story that speaks just to them. Then slowly realising that the story isn’t the same as that imaginary one as it rapidly diverges.

That moment is inspiration. It’s what makes new writers create works that join in the conversation that is literature or film. Sometimes we have totally original ideas that seem to come from nowhere, but usually the creative process is sparked by other stories.

Legislating against that is counterproductive to culture. The music industry is one area where this is slowing happening.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post

RCO025_1565191934.jpg

Specifically with the two black panels and the repeated phrasing "And then" I feel like Moira discovered a to create 2 lives simultaneously this would also fit into Destiny's prophecy of Moira having an 11th life? Idk just spitballing.
    I don't think that's how procreation and babies work....but im up for hearing more lol
    Being able to prove that Hickman read the book doesn’t make it any less legal (or ethical) that he took inspiration from the general concept. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    If only that was the case...
    Writing about Time Loops?
    All 3 times I attended TomorrowWorld Id eat some fungus and actually have to experience/survive being in an actual Time Loop. the last year of the festival I stayed at the campsite of some "fellow fungus friends" for 2days straight... there was face paint EVVVERYWHERE...and then it rained and turned the field into a giant sinkhole....Goooood times.
    but you write about Time Loops or festivals Id totally be able to sue
    Last edited by BroHomo; 08-10-2019 at 02:44 AM.

There is a whole genre of fanfics that is "The character dies but is reborn with all the past knowledge, which he uses to change things," as heck is going to be plagiarism.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PeggySue

So many books have be written on all subjects and if you read a lot, it's hard not to be strongly inspired by something already done.
    Maybe my main critic about Hickman has something to do with that: it feels like a work inspired by other works, not by life. It is a distant echo of life and I'm not moved by that.
    X-men (and the rest), in this run, are become strangers…
    So, one star for me for the effort and the decent drawings…
    Last edited by Zelena; 08-10-2019 at 03:54 AM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe