Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Legion of X #1 Review/Spoilers

We open to Legion in the Altar, talking to an unseen Blindfold. He explains the Altar to her, and how Nightcrawler has a police station set up here. Except it's not a police station because they're not police. But they're totally police. They overhear Nightcrawler as he welcomes his coworkers. He also says that there's a cronut tree, which. Yeah.

So the Legion consists of Cortez, Pixie, Lost, Juggernaut, Gorgon, Nemesis, Maggot, Chamber, X/Zorn and someone called Xabi. (AKA ForgetMeNot.) He assigns people to cases, one of them being to investigate possession - likely the Skinjacker. Nightcrawler calls him a little #$%&. Nightcrawler, meanwhile, will meet with Storm.

Back to Legionaries. He reveals to Blindfold that he stores his extra minds and identities away, which will in no way backfire horribly down the line, I'm sure. Then he finally reunites with Ruth and they kiss. He notes that she doesn't have a physical body; she says that she doesn't want it anymore. Being a precog sucked, so she's gonna life in this weird dream dimension instead. Probably so she can dream of holding Hellion and having it come true. But alas, Hellion only has two hands - he can't be there for everyone.

Data page time: we get the three laws again, but they have little amendments underneath to explain them more.
    1. Make More Mutants: You can't force people to make babies, and he thinks the best way to enforce the law is to just let the Five do their thing. That's lame.
    2. Murder No Man: Provoking non-mutant actors is also a no-no, that they must examine intent of a murder before they condemn, and ensure that death doesn't lose its meaning, lest life follow suit.
    3. Respect this Sacred Land: "Sacred land" is now extended to mean "all of mutantkind." So stuff like murder, abuse and rape are still illegal. Theft should probably fall under that, and they're apparently going to get involved with that. But earlier, Nightcrawler said theft wasn't illegal, so?
    4. The Spark: Try new things.

On Arakko, Nightcrawler playfully grovels at Storm's feet, to which she jokingly threatens to stick lightning up his ass. They meet up with Ora Serrata - an eyeless snail-blob-thing on top of a giant eyeball. She's part of the Great Ring, and her job is to kill those who commit the greatest sin of their society - running away from the Rite of Challenge (kicking ass in the Siege Perilous.) She's here to grab anyone who runs away from the challenge, as well as to record all challenges in the Circle Perilous. Ora has summoned Nightcrawler to retrieve a god of mischief who escaped and is likely hiding on Krakoa.

Back at Krakoa's tiki bar, Xabi is talking to a short guy with smoke coming out of his ears. They're not going to arrest him for his crimes on the mainland, but he has to come with him to the station to talk things over. The guy gets mad and makes a smoke monster come out of his ears. Juggernaut busts through the wall to fight the monster, but he can't grab onto smoke. But it doesn't matter, because Xabi just tasers the mutant and knocks him out.

At the Gardens, Pixie and Lost meet with Spike (not the one from X-Men: Evolution), who is a victim of the Skinjacker. He explains what happened: he and his friends (Glob Herman, and two other people) go to the beaches weekly to paint Rockslide, because it makes Santos really happy. Spike was suddenly trapped in a world of darkness. When he came to, his arm was mutilated. Healer notes that the healer tried to use painkillers, but Spike's healing factor metabolized them too fast. The Skinjacker was in so much agony, he dropped a clue: a finger.

Pixie tries to get him to come down to the station and talk, but Spike freaks out. He doesn't want to be targeted by the Skinjacker again. Pixie considers drugging him with her dust, but Lost is like, "nah, it has to be his choice." She gives Spike a speech and convinces him to come along.

Back on Arakko. Weaponless Zsen (who has a weapon) is like a judge for the Circle Perlious. Ora tells her to get the head of Uqesh. The tl;dr is that he was the Seat of Law before Ora usurped him. He used his power to summon 30 gods for help during the siege of Amenth, but they sucked. Deities are generally hated on Arakko, as an expression of divinity is a challenge to the people.

Robed mutants come in, accused of worship. Zsen brings out Uquesh's head to summon one of their gods, and the audience rushes in to kick his ass. Ora says that this is Krakoa's fault - after being brought here, the gods came slinking out to seduce them. But they're not against gods - they just want a god that's worthy of their worship.

The Arakkis kick the god's ass, and Ora makes him vanish. She gives Zsen over to Nightcrawler to help him find their missing deity, but warns them that she'll get involved, herself, if they're not swift.

Back on Krakoa, Legion goes to the Quiet Council meets with Warlock. He says that Ruth picked up a memory in the astral plane, of Nimrod killing Warlock's dad. Nimrod also took things from his corpse. The dad's terror left a powerful psychic echo. Xavier's still a dick to his son, and Legion also kind of makes Warlock's issues with his dad about him.

Back on Arakko, Kurt and Zsen get to know each other. Nightcrawler briefly alludes to the Chuck Austen run when he was named Pope or whatever, but says that he's not a priest. And speaking of Austen, Zsen straight-up says that they should get it on. Zsen also has blade armor-things on her arms - enhancements from the Vile for being so good at war. Her title of Weaponless refers to how her mutation ("weapon") isn't good for fighting. Her mutation is to "paint with truth."

They head to the police station (except it's not a police station, even though it totally is) and meet up with the rest of the not-police. They've determined that the Skinjacker is a Hellion (but not HELLION) named Switch.

Back in the dreamscape, Legion hugs Blindfold. She worries about attacks, but he tells her to be less paranoid. He backhands his dad again. Blindfold is immediately proven right when Mother Righteous comes in and starts speaking like some Victorian chimney-sweep.

I know this might be difficult to follow, but this issue seems to have more pages than the norm, and there's a lot of jumping around. But the tl;dr is that Nightcrawler and Zsen are looking for a deity of mischief, while the others are investigating Switch.

Notes:
    • The Legionaries are cops. Except they don't want to be called cops to avoid controversy with people on Twitter. But they're totally cops.
    • The concept of the Spark is still so vague.
    • There's a guy with a flaming head and a sleeveless shirt in the background of one shot. Match cameo?
    • Spike mentions ORCHIS. So I guess they're common knowledge among Krakoans?
    • Synthetic intelligence has a presence to the dreamspace/astral plane/dream world, which surprises Legion
    • Mercury and Loa cameo, holding hands. Dust also cameos, hanging out with them
    • Spurrier's OCs Xabi, tries to flirt with Spurrier's other OC, Lost. I have no problem with that. It's way better than the time(s) Taylor made an OC and immediately tried to hook them up with a long-established character.
    • It's implied Xavier didn't want Juggs to join the Legionaries, but was overruled by the Council. Nightcrawler implied Xavier doesn't believe everybody can be redeemed. Spurrier really hates Xavier, I feel. He's taking the worst traits of Xavier and amplifying them. It's such a stark contrast to other books, especially Sabretooth.
    Last edited by Rift; 05-25-2022 at 11:48 AM.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    We open to Legion in the Altar, talking to an unseen Blindfold. He explains the Altar to her, and how Nightcrawler has a police station set up here. Except it's not a police station because they're not police. But they're totally police. They overhear Nightcrawler as he welcomes his coworkers. He also says that there's a cronut tree, which. Yeah.

So the Legion consists of Cortez, Pixie, Lost, Juggernaut, Gorgon, Nemesis, Maggot, Chamber, X/Zorn and someone called Xabi. (AKA ForgetMeNot.) He assigns people to cases, one of them being to investigate possession - likely the Skinjacker. Nightcrawler calls him a little #$%&. Nightcrawler, meanwhile, will meet with Storm.

Back to Legionaries. He reveals to Blindfold that he stores his extra minds and identities away, which will in no way backfire horribly down the line, I'm sure. Then he finally reunites with Ruth and they kiss. He notes that she doesn't have a physical body; she says that she doesn't want it anymore. Being a precog sucked, so she's gonna life in this weird dream dimension instead. Probably so she can dream of holding Hellion and having it come true. But alas, Hellion only has two hands - he can't be there for everyone.

Data page time: we get the three laws again, but they have little amendments underneath to explain them more.
    1. Make More Mutants: You can't force people to make babies, and he thinks the best way to enforce the law is to just let the Five do their thing. That's lame.
    2. Murder No Man: Provoking non-mutant actors is also a no-no, that they must examine intent of a murder before they condemn, and ensure that death doesn't lose its meaning, lest life follow suit.
    3. Respect this Sacred Land: "Sacred land" is now extended to mean "all of mutantkind." So stuff like murder, abuse and rape are still illegal. Theft should probably fall under that, and they're apparently going to get involved with that. But earlier, Nightcrawler said theft wasn't illegal, so?
    4. The Spark: Try new things.

On Arakko, Nightcrawler playfully grovels at Storm's feet, to which she jokingly threatens to stick lightning up his ass. They meet up with Ora Serrata - an eyeless snail-blob-thing on top of a giant eyeball. She's part of the Great Ring, and her job is to kill those who commit the greatest sin of their society - running away from the Rite of Challenge (kicking ass in the Siege Perilous.) She's here to grab anyone who runs away from the challenge, as well as to record all challenges in the Circle Perilous. Ora has summoned Nightcrawler to retrieve a god of mischief who escaped and is likely hiding on Krakoa.

Back at Krakoa's tiki bar, Xabi is talking to a short guy with smoke coming out of his ears. They're not going to arrest him for his crimes on the mainland, but he has to come with him to the station to talk things over. The guy gets mad and makes a smoke monster come out of his ears. Juggernaut busts through the wall to fight the monster, but he can't grab onto smoke. But it doesn't matter, because Xabi just tasers the mutant and knocks him out.

At the Gardens, Pixie and Lost meet with Spike (not the one from X-Men: Evolution), who is a victim of the Skinjacker. He explains what happened: he and his friends (Glob Herman, and two other people) go to the beaches weekly to paint Rockslide, because it makes Santos really happy. Spike was suddenly trapped in a world of darkness. When he came to, his arm was mutilated. Healer notes that the healer tried to use painkillers, but Spike's healing factor metabolized them too fast. The Skinjacker was in so much agony, he dropped a clue: a finger.

Pixie tries to get him to come down to the station and talk, but Spike freaks out. He doesn't want to be targeted by the Skinjacker again. Pixie considers drugging him with her dust, but Lost is like, "nah, it has to be his choice." She gives Spike a speech and convinces him to come along.

Back on Arakko. Weaponless Zsen (who has a weapon) is like a judge for the Circle Perlious. Ora tells her to get the head of Uqesh. The tl;dr is that he was the Seat of Law before Ora usurped him. He used his power to summon 30 gods for help during the siege of Amenth, but they sucked. Deities are generally hated on Arakko, as an expression of divinity is a challenge to the people.

Robed mutants come in, accused of worship. Zsen brings out Uquesh's head to summon one of their gods, and the audience rushes in to kick his ass. Ora says that this is Krakoa's fault - after being brought here, the gods came slinking out to seduce them. But they're not against gods - they just want a god that's worthy of their worship.

The Arakkis kick the god's ass, and Ora makes him vanish. She gives Zsen over to Nightcrawler to help him find their missing deity, but warns them that she'll get involved, herself, if they're not swift.

Back on Krakoa, Legion goes to the Quiet Council meets with Warlock. He says that Ruth picked up a memory in the astral plane, of Nimrod killing Warlock's dad. Nimrod also took things from his corpse. The dad's terror left a powerful psychic echo. Xavier's still a dick to his son, and Legion also kind of makes Warlock's issues with his dad about him.

Back on Arakko, Kurt and Zsen get to know each other. Nightcrawler briefly alludes to the Chuck Austen run when he was named Pope or whatever, but says that he's not a priest. And speaking of Austen, Zsen straight-up says that they should get it on. Zsen also has blade armor-things on her arms - enhancements from the Vile for being so good at war. Her title of Weaponless refers to how her mutation ("weapon") isn't good for fighting. Her mutation is to "paint with truth."

They head to the police station (except it's not a police station, even though it totally is) and meet up with the rest of the not-police. They've determined that the Skinjacker is a Hellion (but not HELLION) named Switch.

Back in the dreamscape, Legion hugs Blindfold. She worries about attacks, but he tells her to be less paranoid. He backhands his dad again. Blindfold is imemdiately proven right when Mother Righteous comes in and starts speaking like some Victorian chimney-sweep.

Notes:
    • The Legionaries are cops. Except they don't want to be called cops to avoid controversy with people on Twitter. But they're totally cops.
    • The concept of the Spark is still so vague.
    • There's a guy with a flaming head and a sleeveless shirt in the background of one shot. Match cameo?
    • Spike mentions ORCHIS. So I guess they're common knowledge among Krakoans?
    • Synthetic intelligence has a presence to the dreamspace/astral plane/dream world, which surprises Legion
    • Mercury and Loa cameo, holding hands. Dust also cameos, hanging out with them
    • Spurrier's OCs Xabi, tries to flirt with Spurrier's other OC, Lost. I have no problem with that. It's way better than the time(s) Taylor made an OC and immediately tried to hook them up with a long-established character.
    • It's implied Xavier didn't want Juggs to join the Legionaries, but was overruled by the Council. Nightcrawler implied Xavier doesn't believe everybody can be redeemed. Spurrier really hates Xavier, I feel. He's taking the worst traits of Xavier and amplifying them. It's such a stark contrast to other books, especially Sabretooth.
    I love love love this book my second favourite after x-men red, loved everything about the arakii especially ora serrata I am a stan. Weaponless zsen is also really good.

Their philosophy on gods is one i agree with 1000000% as a god you should be more than the sum of the parts of the people who worship you. If you arent that, well you dont deserve the praise you demand.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

I lOVED it. I'd give it 8/10.

So, much Information DUMP on the Culture of Arakko and it's so fascinating to me IMO. This issue did cause me to read it over again 3x times because i'm not going to lie. A lot of this stuff literally just went OVER MY HEAD. I was a bit confused with the "GodLaw", but now I get it. It makes me happy to see Legion stick it to his Father!! Suck it CHARLES lol. Anyway, great issue love all the players in this Story. Happy to see Juggernaut. :-)

I was going in cautious after way of X, but so far it’s pretty good. I like the new characters, Zsen has an interesting personality and abilities, it’ll be nice to see what sort of relationship dynamic will form between her and Kurt.

Zen knows what she wants

I also liked how Spurrier is fleshing out Arrako culture, the team; giving Lost more attention and creating sub-plots that’ll all clash together in the end I’m sure.

It seems that spurrier actually did consider some of the concerns/feedback from readers of Way of X and made attempts to develop on them (confirming Kurt isn’t a priest and emphasizing the nuances of the laws) which I appreciate.

Little nitpick that’s not Spurrier centric: I get this was set up first issue but I do miss proper action scenes. I was hoping for a longer fight between Kurt and Zsen than one clash of swords, and for juggernaut to have a bit more action after that great entrance.

Overall I enjoyed it, the art has grown on me and I’ll be picking up the next issue.
    Last edited by Proxy; 05-25-2022 at 12:03 PM.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Default Legion of X issue 1 The Whole of the Law

If you didn’t read Way of X, this may confuse you.

David/Legion meets up with Ruth/Blindfold in his Altar (the pocket dimension he has created to encourage the Krakoa mutants to be safe and creative). Ruch eschews a physical form, she doesn’t need it, particularly with David.

Kurt/Nightcrawler, also in the Altar, in the Legionaries club house with his team of mutant legionnaires, giving out the day’s assignments.
    Kurt has an appointment on Arakko with its goddess, Ororo. The Arakki leader Orra Serrata has asked to meet with Krakoa’s chief lawman. One of their deities is missing. Orra explains to Kurt how justice is carried out through combat amongst her people.

Krakoa, the Green Lagoon, Forget Me Not and Juggernaut are taking a mutant into the Legionaries Station, he’s accused of kitting his wife and escaping to Krakoa.

Krakoa, The Healing Gardens, Pixie and Lost are talking to a young mutant who has been a victim of a skinjacker (a mutant who can possess others. The young mutant, Spike is scared but Lost talks him into going with them to the Station.

Kurt is still on Arakko, getting a history lesson and meeting another new character, Weaponless Zsen.
    ThArraki share the Klingon disdain for their gods. Orra summons an old god and the Arakki rise up and fall on it to defeat it.
    Orra looks at the old god and he is gone, obliterated. She wants Kurt to assist Zsen in finding a trickster god who has escaped justice by escaping to Krakoa.

Krakoa, the Quiet Council. David comes in to speak to Cipher/Warlock. Blindfold has sensed the death of Warlock’s father, Magus, at the hands of our old friend, Nimrod , who took techno organic stuff from his corpse. Chuck berates David for leaving Mars, David shoots him down, Warlock and Magus were astra ged but a child deserves to hear of the death of a parent…

Kurt and Zsen flirt, Kurt confesses that his priesthood was a sham and she expresses the desire to f¥€§. They have a flirty conversation, Zsen’s mutant power is painting with truth, which she sees as useless in a battle. They go to the Altar and the Legionaries Station.

Pixie, Dr Nemeis, Cortez and Lost have, with young Spike’s help traced down the Skinjacker, a new Hellion, called Switch (we do all know that the Skinjacker is going to turn out to be the missing Arakki god, don’t we?).
    Juggernaut and FMN come back with their mutant, Cain wants to hand him over for judgment of the Council but Kurt says no. He also reveals that he wanted Cain on his team and Chuck objected, the Council overrode him. Interesting goss. Cain wants to go for a beer with Black Tom! Hurrah for one of the oldest bromances in the comic.

Ruth and David share a lovely moment and are interrupted by Mother Righteous , another new character, a trader in spells, spirits, demons gods, power and glory…

Okay, so this book looks glorious, fantastic art and colours, sometimes trippy, sometimes disturbing and some very interesting new character designs.
    It will be incomprehensible if you haven’t been reading the current X-books or Way of X.
    Some complicated and esoteric concepts going on here, I’m up for finding out more about the cast and the newbie’s alike (though Mother Righteous cod Cockney accent will get very thin very fast with me!)

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Okay, Rift, your review is better than my review, not to mention longer! I bow before your superior skills! Grin.

Enjoyed this, liked the new characters, interested to see where it goes.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

This was a pretty dense first issue, I mostly enjoyed it, but it did feel a bit cluttered. It's good seeing ForgetMeNot again, but I do hope they figure out some kind of work around for his power for at least his partner and the other Legionnaires. I am also curious now to see how his power might make him the only one immune to Ora Serrata's ability. The expanded Arakki culture stuff was all great. Although, something I'm not clear on with the gods, did the Arakki unwittingly bring the gods with them from Amenth or are they coming from elsewhere and seeking their worship now that they are in a new land? I wonder if the Nimrod killing Magus bit will be followed up in this book or is being set up for another title. I have not always been fond of Bazaldua's art, but aside from some odd proportions here and there, I really enjoyed her work in this issue. Blee's colors were also very well done, and helped elevate the pencils.

Good enough first issue. 7/10.

Few things that stood out for me. Zsen in particular. Other then her I have no great interst in Arrako so that part left me with no greater impression.

ForgetMeNot got old fast. I have read about him once or twice before but I can't say that I want to keep doing so.

I would love to say that I have strong opinions about things going on here but I don't. So that will probably color my eventuall continious reading of this series.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Moved over to the other thread.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-25-2022 at 01:56 PM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

I’m the opposite. Forget-Me-Not was a standout character! Here’s hoping they will give him something that makes people not forget him - a device or perhaps develop to turn power off.

And Switch! I love a writer that pulls in unusual characters you never thought you’d see again.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

"If we can beat the crap out of your god then it's not a god worth worshipping" is a great philosophy, tbh.

This exceeded my expectations. Easily a 9/10 for me. I agree Xavier is written a little extreme but i kind of see as that part is so we are seeing him like Legion does so unless he does something truly offensive it doesn't really break the story for me. I mean Xavier has never been a great dad, that is true. Art was really great as were the designs. Looking forward to issue 2. This and red are my flag ships right now.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I personally don't think Xavier is being written too extreme. He just doesn't put his best foot forward with his familiars (Juggernauts and Legion), which isn't exactly something Spurrier made up (he's always been a terrible father and brother).

Hell, he hasn't even met his Shi'ar daughter yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    This exceeded my expectations. Easily a 9/10 for me. I agree Xavier is written a little extreme
    i wonder if the Jug mini from last year wrote them into a corner... in that X was telling him Karakoa was no humans allowed
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    "If we can beat the crap out of your god then it's not a god worth worshipping" is a great philosophy, tbh.
    LOL it is a Great Philosophy. Teshup the Thunder God got Jumped HAHAHA.

Mutants of Arakko can Beat GODS!....