Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    No, Im not saying he's an exact age. I said early 30s which is fairly vague. Whether he's 30 or 33 doesnt matter all that much. The only one giving him a hard age is the ones declaring that he is currently 27.
    Which is the person who is paid to edit the line. and is operating as an employee of marvel. You may not like it but he's under 30 according to marvel. and at most if 12 years have passed since 1962 and he was 17 when he started he would still at most be 29. It just is what it is.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Personally i don't even really see the big deal about it at all. I don't even really think about how time flows in real life compared to a story. For instance in manga Luffy has been the same age for well over a decade aside from a time skip that was a few years. Well the book has been around for 20 years. Maybe because the story is told from the point of one writer that does something to people so it doesn't become as confusing but the basic concept is the same imo. The real issue comes in because people in a way are trying to take "ownership" of someone elses work and try to cram whatever they want "head canon" into everything instead of just following the story as it is.
    The Scooby Gang is the same age and still driving the old Mystery Van after all these years. Archie, Jughead, Betty, and Veronica have been in high school forever and must fail every grade. Fred Flinstone is still working at the same job and should have retired to Graniteville ages ago with Barney. Batman should be in a rest home if he is alive at all and current time line in DC should technically be at the Batman Beyond times by now.

Every comic series under the sun treats time differently. I agree with Jordan that DC spends so much time explaining why time has been reset yet again that a lot of their big stories are just about time being reset.

Only X-Readers are this anal retentive about ages and time when they don't need to be.

There is a difference between doing new stories mined and rooted in continuity and just doing stories about old stories, which coincidentally is when a lot of mediocre X-Men comics are produced. Continuity is a tool. If you can get a good story out of it, cool. If continuity screws with your story, tune up the story so it doesn't. It's not a weight on your back.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Which is the person who is paid to edit the line. and is operating as an employee of marvel. You may not like it but he's under 30 according to marvel. and at most if 12 years have passed since 1962 and he was 17 when he started he would still at most be 29. It just is what it is.
    the same person said it hasnt been 10 years and that the year 10 isnt meant to be taken literal and proceeded to cite examples of 15 and 20 years all equalling 10 according to this scale

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    The Scooby Gang is the same age and still driving the old Mystery Van after all these years. Archie, Jughead, Betty, and Veronica have been in high school forever and must fail every grade. Fred Flinstone is still working at the same job and should have retired to Graniteville ages ago with Barney. Batman should be in a rest home if he is alive at all and current time line in DC should technically be at the Batman Beyond times by now.

Every comic series under the sun treats time differently. I agree with Jordan that DC spends so much time explaining why time has been reset yet again that a lot of their big stories are just about time being reset.
    I agree as well. Like Snoop said below, i just want good story. But i think i've said all i can in this thread. I just kind of get lost in fascination sometimes with these threads. That's why i take long breaks. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Mighty Member

The Scooby Gang is the same age and still driving the old Mystery Van after all these years. Archie, Jughead, Betty, and Veronica have been in high school forever and must fail every grade. Fred Flinstone is still working at the same job and should have retired to Graniteville ages ago with Barney.
    Those work because their histories don't matter. They don't have character development arcs. Their status quo never changes. I'll also point out that they're comedies, not dramas.

I agree with Jordan that DC spends so much time explaining why time has been reset yet again that a lot of their big stories are just about time being reset.
    Because they can make stories out of it. Such events usually sell well so there is an audience for it.

I agree as well. Like Snoop said below, i just want good story. But i think i've said all i can in this thread. I just kind of get lost in fascination sometimes with these threads. That's why i take long breaks. lol
    Honestly I'm so grateful for all of you folks. I have no one in my immediate radar who is a comics reader so I'm sitting there exploding out of my head with speculation and "whatabouts" and this is the only place I can go where the things can stick.

*high fives* *big hugs* *whatabout*

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Only X-Readers are this anal retentive about ages and time when they don't need to be.
    Visit the other forums sometime.

There is a difference between doing new stories mined and rooted in continuity and just doing stories about old stories, which coincidentally is when a lot of mediocre X-Men comics are produced.
    Examples?

More and more, I'm convinced these positions boil down almost entirely to personal taste. There is no real right or wrong, better or worse way to do things. Rather, it's just what some people like vs. what some other people like.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post

There is a difference between doing new stories mined and rooted in continuity and just doing stories about old stories, which coincidentally is when a lot of mediocre X-Men comics are produced. Continuity is a tool. If you can get a good story out of it, cool. If continuity screws with your story, tune up the story so it doesn't. It's not a weight on your back.
    I agree with you. I think with X-Men because there is a constant mix of an older generation with a newer generation that the sliding time scale runs into some hiccups. This is less obvious in FF and Avengers because they don't bring in younger generation characters as often as the X-Men do. Although I see there is an attempt to have more younger generation teams. West Coast Avengers is more of a younger generation team. Young Avengers was in the past. Champions and now Agents of Atlas mostly consist of younger generation characters.

But here is where we come up to DC's way of doing things. So DC resets continuity and says everything is starting over from day 1 again. Then stories from the previous continuity start to bleed into current continuity because DC starts realizing that fans want to see the characters carry on from before. They want to see Superman and Lois Lane married, they want to see what happens to their son. They want to see how Bruce handles being Damien's father, they want to see Dick grow up and become Nightwing and maybe eventually become Batman. So after a reset DC ends up resetting back to the prior status quo and they will sometimes do a reverse event that puts the previous status quo back because the fans want to see the stories continue from there.

All comic stories are problematic when it comes to time, every company does it a different way.

IDW took the Transformers from the Autobot/Decepticon war and then had Megatron turn heroic to help end the war and rebuild their society on Cybertron. IDW decided at this point that they would end the franchise there. The reboot was to go back a 1000 years prior to the war and start the comics to show how Optimus and Megatron stopped being friends and how the war on Cybertron eventually started.

So the only solution that would work for any comic is to have a set start, middle, and finish.

You talk about Star Trek, there are still stories written about the original crew to this day where they are all still on the Enterprise and they all have the same rank. Star Trek just has stories that exist at different points of time. This is no different from DC having modern continuity, then Batman Beyond continuity, and the Legion of Super Heroes continuity.

Marvel did this for a while with the 2099 series, and partially with the old man Logan, old man Hawkeye, and old man Quill. Marvel also did the Spider-girl series which compares to Batman Beyond and takes place 15 to 20ish years in the future with a new Avengers, new X-Men, and Spider-Girl. The series just didn't last like Batman Beyond did.

I feel that I just enjoy the stories for how they are. Jonathan Hickman is writing his own vision of how the X-Men have played out and given us a handy time line chart to make sense of it all. I like this idea of Moira living many lives and each time she tries to make a change to try and save mutant kind from extinction. I think it's a clever idea to explore different timeline concepts. I actually want a mini series eventually on the Age of Moira and Apocalypse because I want to see how it turned out when she went total despotic leader for one of her lifetimes.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Honestly I'm so grateful for all of you folks. I have no one in my immediate radar who is a comics reader so I'm sitting there exploding out of my head with speculation and "whatabouts" and this is the only place I can go where the things can stick.

hehe, I love nerding out on these forums. I am sure my friends in real life would think I am totally insane to debate the physics of time in the Marvel Universe and the sliding time scale. They would just give me a weird look and wonder if maybe I need some "help" from a mental health professional.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post

Pretty much in the same boat. It can really be a rabbit hole sometimes though.lol
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Mighty Member

I feel that I just enjoy the stories for how they are.
    Sure, until a writer does something with Rachel you feel is inconsistent with her history and characterization.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post

More and more, I'm convinced these positions boil down almost entirely to personal taste. There is no real right or wrong, better or worse way to do things. Rather, it's just what some people like vs. what some other people like.
    Damn, ain't that the truth.