Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default So is it really 'Year Ten'?

Haven't really been actively following House of X and Power of X yet, but one thing struck me from one of the preview images I saw - apparently, the 'present day' of the X-men books is 'Year Ten' of the X-men's existence.

So does this really mean that, according to Hickman at least, everything from Uncanny X-men # 1 onwards (and some stuff from before that too) occurred within the span of a decade? Including other Marvel Universe stuff that happened concurrently?

Has there been any official statement from Marvel or Hickman on this?

I think it's best you start reading before you get spoiled. Time is very very sticky in this run.

No. 10 is a power of 10; its an approximation rounded to the nearest power. It could be year 12, 15 or even 20 of the X-men's existence. All would still equal 10

Even against my own skeptisism and mathematics.... i like it to be year 10. Not because it is rational. Just because i like it. It leaves characters in an apropiate age, far from being kids, but old enough to have serious stories.

One of my main problems with spider man is his age, which implies his stories will revolve around problems of a character of that age. There´s a good reason the movies always focus on the school version of SM instead of the grown up bussinessman.

It may not be rational and contradictive, but i think is a good compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gortam View Post
    Even against my own skeptisism and mathematics.... i like it to be year 10. Not because it is rational. Just because i like it. It leaves characters in an apropiate age, far from being kids, but old enough to have serious stories.

One of my main problems with spider man is his age, which implies his stories will revolve around problems of a character of that age. There´s a good reason the movies always focus on the school version of SM instead of the grown up bussinessman.

It may not be rational and contradictive, but i think is a good compromise.
    the only reason why i dont like it is because I have to ignore other series continuity for it to work in my head. For example in Immortal Hulk issue 21 its specially states based on the narrator age that the hulk has been around for 14 years. In addition in amazing spiderman when peter comes back from Otto taking his body it says he been spiderman for 13 years. I like to believe that all of these heroes started around the same time. So when I read house of x i will ignore the continuity for its sake. Also for the sake of the movies it makes sense to make spiderman young as it would have been easier to explain where he as opposed to him not being around for the earlier stuff
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I'm fine with 10 years. I always played it so it was like every 5 or 6 years of real time was one year of their time, so I was at about year 12 or 13, at most, in my own head canon.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

JDW has already said its an approximation so whether its been 10, 12 or 15 years, 10^0 doesnt break continuity bc its not a hard set time span

I don't like it being just 10 years since Scott first showed up in the 10 mansion, but the need for the rolling time line is obvious. Jean's headstone showed that she was born in 1950 and died in 1980. That worked back then when Marvel treated each passing year in the comics the same as in the real world. But if they kept to that, Iceman would be about 69 years old now.

Perhaps there are scores of months in each Marvel year. After all we keep seeing jumps forward by many months during that 10 year period. I would have been happier if it was 15 - 17 years instead of 10 but that would not have allowed Hickman to do his math trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaviers Dream View Post
    I don't like it being just 10 years since Scott first showed up in the 10 mansion, but the need for the rolling time line is obvious. Jean's headstone showed that she was born in 1950 and died in 1980. That worked back then when Marvel treated each passing year in the comics the same as in the real world. But if they kept to that, Iceman would be about 69 years old now.

Perhaps there are scores of months in each Marvel year. After all we keep seeing jumps forward by many months during that 10 year period. I would have been happier if it was 15 - 17 years instead of 10 but that would not have allowed Hickman to do his math trick.
    1956, but I get your point

again it could still very well be 15-17 years. They've been intentionally vague

yall the 10 years isn’t literal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    yall the 10 years isn’t literal.
    LOL....some people dont get that

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    LOL....some people dont get that
    I think you guys don't want to see it so everything fits perfectly but it's right there in the timeline. Moira was 43 when she and Xavier recruited Magneto so even if the x-men started on that exact day Moira is 52 in the house of X. That is less than 10 years. Anyway you slice it. So what aren't we getting?
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I think you guys don't want to see it so everything fits perfectly but it's right there in the timeline. Moira was 43 when she and Xavier recruited Magneto so even if the x-men started on that exact day Moira is 52 in the house of X. That is less than 10 years. Anyway you slice it. So what aren't we getting?
    the senior editor of the X-line says its only an estimation and not to be taken as a literal 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    the senior editor of the X-line says its only an estimation and not to be taken as a literal 10 years
    Ok but in print it shows her age so i'm going to go with what i actually read. Not what someone said.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    the only reason why i dont like it is because I have to ignore other series continuity for it to work in my head. For example in Immortal Hulk issue 21 its specially states based on the narrator age that the hulk has been around for 14 years. In addition in amazing spiderman when peter comes back from Otto taking his body it says he been spiderman for 13 years. I like to believe that all of these heroes started around the same time. So when I read house of x i will ignore the continuity for its sake. Also for the sake of the movies it makes sense to make spiderman young as it would have been easier to explain where he as opposed to him not being around for the earlier stuff
    But who say that these stories are simultaneous...Also I think it has been kind of canon that some heroes shown off their face before others (FF as example were widely active before spidey got his powers...) But yeah i see your point.