Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I think you guys don't want to see it so everything fits perfectly but it's right there in the timeline. Moira was 43 when she and Xavier recruited Magneto so even if the x-men started on that exact day Moira is 52 in the house of X. That is less than 10 years. Anyway you slice it. So what aren't we getting?
    After the 05 grew up and became adults, Cannonball joined the X-Men as a teen, grew up, became an adult, got married, had kids with some chick in outer space and in another book the other New Mutants are going to go looking for him.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    After the 05 grew up and became adults, Cannonball joined the X-Men as a teen, grew up, became an adult, got married, had kids with some chick in outer space and in another book the other New Mutants are going to go looking for him.
    All we know is there is a new mutants book being written by Hickman. So he can essentially have them looking for him for any reason. Pesonally i'm not going to drive myself up the wall trying to fit all of continunity into less than 10 years but i'm definitely not going to ignore 1+1 = 2 when he gives her age in the timeline. At the end of the day he will acknowledge what he wants.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Spectacular Member

JDW also said that its been 12-13 years, not 10, in the same podcast interview this week where he explained the magnitude of 10.

It doesn't seem to work with the numbers in the timeline, as jwatson has said, but what's in print contradicts itself from issue to issue and month to month, so even that's not as simple as it seems, because they're going to play fast and loose with it in the immediate future of the franchise.

And I think it's worth examining, that since the senior X-Men editor says that exact times and dates will never really make sense or work, why would we expect what sees print to even be internally consistent?

Ok but in print it shows her age so i'm going to go with what i actually read. Not what someone said.
    even the printed timeline was incorrect with the years. Im gonna go with the magnitude of 10 which works better

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

It's assumed that for every four to five years of real time publications, one year of Marvel time had passed on Earth-616 and other time-sensitive realities, so the events of Fantastic Four #1 are currently treated as having happened 15 years ago on Earth-616, even though that issue was released in 1961 and we're currently in 2019. It's perhaps best to take it with a grain of salt, but it can more or less give a decent explanation to anyone looking for one.

Year 01: Nov 1961-Oct 1965
    Year 02: Nov 1965-Oct 1969
    Year 03: Nov 1969-Oct 1973
    Year 04: Nov 1973-Oct 1977
    Year 05: Nov 1977-Oct 1981
    Year 06: Nov 1981-Oct 1985
    Year 07: Nov 1985-Oct 1989
    Year 08: Nov 1989-Oct 1993
    Year 09: Nov 1993-Oct 1997
    Year 10: Nov 1997-Oct 2001
    Year 11: Nov 2001-Oct 2005
    Year 12: Nov 2005-Oct 2009
    Year 13: Nov 2009-Oct 2013
    Year 14: Nov 2013-Oct 2017
    Year 15: Nov 2017-Oct 2021
    Year 16: Nov 2021-Oct 2025
    Year 17: Nov 2025-Oct 2029

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Gloss...ding_Timescale
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 08-07-2019 at 03:47 PM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I think you guys don't want to see it so everything fits perfectly but it's right there in the timeline. Moira was 43 when she and Xavier recruited Magneto so even if the x-men started on that exact day Moira is 52 in the house of X. That is less than 10 years. Anyway you slice it. So what aren't we getting?
    Yeah, I suspect that it's literal and that they formed the X-Men (or had Xavier do so) before they recruited Erik.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Spectacular Member

Okay, how's this: That refers to Uncanny X-Men 200, after the Trial of Magneto, when he officially becomes the headmaster of Xavier's School and starts working with the X-Men and New Mutants as an ally?

Going off this, with JDW having edited this issue, and the same week it releases saying outright that the X-Men have been around 12-13 year in the current continuity, that Uncanny 1-200 (23 years real time) takes place between Moira's year 39-43, or 4-5 years, and from then to the present has been an additional 7-9 years (34 years real time).
    Last edited by ISnowNothin; 08-07-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Mighty Member

Ok but in print it shows her age so i'm going to go with what i actually read. Not what someone said.
    You're right. The quote Havok83 made came out way before the issue did. I'm going by what was printed in the HOX#2 as well.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    You're right. The quote Havok83 made came out way before the issue did. I'm going by what was printed in the HOX#2 as well.
    The quote is from an interview that came out THIS WEEK.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ISnowNothin View Post
    The quote is from an interview that came out THIS WEEK.
    Didn't it come out with previews (meaning before weds issues)? I'm into spoilers so pretty sure it came out before actual issues came out. There's been lots of spoilers out there.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Didn't it come out with previews (meaning before weds issues)? I'm into spoilers so pretty sure it came out before actual issues came out. There's been lots of spoilers out there.
    He explained it at length in a podcast interview that was released two days ago that promoted the issue, and explains in detail how the X-Men timeline is 12-13 years currently, in the House of X present day we're reading, and that he finds the idea of these timelines inherently pointless. You can listen to it here.

I would also point out that never, in the history of Marvel comics to date up to and including this issue, has the foundation of the X-Men been defined as "Charles and Moira recruit Magneto," so, it isn't actually in print, it's a pretty huge leap.

Here’s a quote from an interview that came out yesterday:

PREVIEWSworld: The opening page of Powers of X provides a timeline of X-Men events. Are we to understand that only ten years have passed between X-Men #1 in 1963 and Powers of X #1 in 2019?

Jordan D. White: Again, going back to the concept of powers of ten, of orders of magnitude, when you are using those to estimate something what matters is whether it is closer to 10 or 100. It hasn’t been 10 years exactly, but it’s in the order of magnitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Here’s a quote from an interview that came out yesterday:

PREVIEWSworld: The opening page of Powers of X provides a timeline of X-Men events. Are we to understand that only ten years have passed between X-Men #1 in 1963 and Powers of X #1 in 2019?

Jordan D. White: Again, going back to the concept of powers of ten, of orders of magnitude, when you are using those to estimate something what matters is whether it is closer to 10 or 100. It hasn’t been 10 years exactly, but it’s in the order of magnitude.
    And based on today's issue it hasn't been 10 years it's been 9. He said choose the number closer to it so 9 is closer to 10 than 12 is to 10. IN the interview he says 12 years have passed in the marvel U since 1962. The X-men appeared in 1963, so how much time in marvel time would that real year be. Thereby even by what he says it's less than 10 years, going by sliding scale he just talked about. Then he goes on to say people can assume whatever they want, marvel won't say their wrong.
    Last edited by jwatson; 08-07-2019 at 06:41 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I think it's approximately 10 years (could be 9, 11,12, 13) since Xavier met Moira (Year X-0)

And the House of X #1 could be between 9 months to a year after the last event of Uncanny X-Men, from when they're spreading Krakoa flowers in several places till they're fully grown into Habitats.

Spectacular Member

And based on today's issue it hasn't been 10 years it's been 9. He said choose the number closer to it so 9 is closer to 10 than 12 is to 10. IN the interview he says 12 years have passed in the marvel U since 1962. The X-men appeared in 1963, so how much time in marvel time would that real year be. Thereby even by what he says it's less than 10 years, going by sliding scale he just talked about. Then he goes on to say people can assume whatever they want, marvel won't say their wrong.
    Except they don't ever say it's been 9. You assume it, but there's nothing in this story that says they recruited Erik before/around the formation of the X-Men, you just picked that and ran with it.