Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    None of them. Crossovers and shared universes are the bread and butter of superhero comic these days. Most characters won’t gain much from making it harder to crossover regularly with other supers. Take for example the post new 52 version of the JSA. Do you really think being in their own universe helped them ?
    Those faux-characters are NOT the "Justice Society of America".

Did they ever refer to themselves as the "JSA" within a published comic book story?

Astonishing Member

None of them. Crossovers and shared universes are the bread and butter of superhero comic these days. Most characters won’t gain much from making it harder to crossover regularly with other supers. Take for example the post new 52 version of the JSA. Do you really think being in their own universe helped them ?
    I think if Earth 2 even with all the other changes hadn't been set in a doomed universe it might have had a different sales fate. Maybe following whatever plan James Robinson had at the beginning might have worked. Instead it switched to focusing on replacing Superman and Batman, destroying the world, starting civilization over on a new world … Basically a rotating set of short term directions that never went anywhere.

Its like having an ongoing Dark Knight Returns as a testing ground for whether series set in the future (Legion, Batman Beyond, Tommy Tomorrow. Adult Super-Sons) would work.

JSA
    Warlord
    Arion
    Arak
    Amethyst
    Claw
    Legion of Super-Heroes
    Kamandi
    Jonah Hex
    Sgt. Rock
    Original Suicide Squad
    Original Secret Six
    Blackhawk
    Anthro
    Cave Carson
    Sea Devils
    Nathaniel Dusk
    Angel & the Ape
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The Shazam! crew. The flavor is more fun and far less dark than the general DCU. Lt Marvels, Uncle Marvel, Tawny Talky, etc. lose something if adjusted to fit in with current heroes.
    There was Earth-S, which was first seen in Whiz Comics #2:

And Earth-5, which was first seen in 52 #52:

Though I'm not sure how people felt about these set-ups.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 08-09-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Retired

I don't think it needs to be explained, but I always assumed that it was called Earth-5 (even though there was a different Earth-5 in the pre-Crisis multiverse) because 5 looks like S--and the 52 multiverse doesn't allow for letters instead of numbers. Likewise Earth-10 was equivalent to Earth-X, because X is the Roman numberal for 10. So this is how DC writers got around their own self-imposed taxonomy.

How did I feel about Earth S/5? Loved it.

DC does have a problem with all their acquisitions. When you look at their record, acquisitions tend to fall through the cracks--leaving one to wonder why DC bothered to acquire these properties, unless it was just to prevent other companies getting hold of them. And when those acquisitions are in another universe, it makes it a lot easier for DC to just ignore them--which I think is the reason a lot of fans have for wanting these properties integrated into the "main universe." But that's no guarantee that those properties will get anymore respect and now they have to bend their concept to accomodate the big properties of the "main universe."

I think the obvious solution is not to have a "main universe." There should be several universes that are all just as valid--so the idea that one universe is the main one shouldn't have any credence.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The Shazam! crew. The flavor is more fun and far less dark than the general DCU. Lt Marvels, Uncle Marvel, Tawny Talky, etc. lose something if adjusted to fit in with current heroes.
    I didn't really care for that aspect. The old comics varied in tone, with Jr. it seems like, generally being more serious than Cap (which isn't saying much). And I like that aspect explored, too.

Posted on it here. It's not dark in blood or gore or shock value or death. But maybe somewhat in color scheme, and occasionally touched on theme. Though I acknowledge urban poverty is different in the US in 2019 than in 1942.

But I guess I'm in the minority in wanting more serious Captain Marvel and crew stories, where they still shine brightly rather than being made jokes of.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-09-2019 at 04:18 PM.

the Titans.DC should do something with them like what's going over at Marvel w the X Men.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Dark, Noir and/or Realistic Batman
    It always weirds me when Batman is so dark and solitary in Gotham but then turns superheroic or facing alien threats in Justice League and its equivalent

Constable of Continuity Gero4568's Avatar

I agree with this 100%.
    Pull List: Detective Comics, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Future State

The government wants the truth. I want the truth. And one way or another, we're all going to get it

-Donna Troy

The JSA clearly.