Without looking it up, Julie Madison was the fiancee of Bruce Wayne. Her psychiatrist sent her to Transylvania for her health, where she became the thrall of two vampires, the Monk and Dala--DETECTIVE COMICS 31, 32 (September, October 1939). This two part story was written by Gardner Fox--who was an old pal of editor Vin Sullivan, and Vin gave him the job of writing Batman because the editor didn't know that Bob Kane had a ghost writer, Bill Finger. Batman shoots the undead vampires with silver bullets in the end--and I guess that releases Julie from their spell. That story also introduced the "Baterang" [sic] and the Bat-gyro. Bob Kane did the pencils, but he was inked by Sheldon Moldoff. 'TEC 31 had a memorable Batman cover, which many have paid tribute to.

A few issues after this, when Bill Finger has been restored as writer, because Bob confessed to Vin that he had a ghost writer, and after Bruce had taken in young Dick Grayson as his ward--Bruce and Dick visited Julie on the set of her new movie--because she had taken up acting and was using the screen name Portia Storm. However, Baslo Carlo, a veteran actor who was a master of disguise, began his killing spree on the set of that movie and he was dubbed Clayface. Bruce and Julie broke off their engagement. But shortly after that Bruce took up with Julie's friend Linda Page, who was a socialite from their circle that had turned to volunteering as a nurse and she disapproved of Bruce's lack of ambition.

Decades later, Julie showed up again, this time in the Dollar Comics WORLD'S FINEST COMICS (written by E. Nelson Bridwell with Kurt Schaffenberger doing the art), having since been married to a Prince and becoming herself Princess Portia--a la Grace Kelly. Without looking it up, I forget the detalils but Bruce was the exact double of her husband and had to pretend to be him (or something like that).

That's all I can remember. Also in the first run of BATMAN: LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT, there was a special issue by Michael T. Gilbert that paid homage to the classic Batman and featured Julie Madison in the story. This might have been the hundredth issue, not sure--anyway I know it was supposed to be special.

I may have gotten a few details wrong--but I was forbidden from looking them up and had to depend on my memory. How'd I score?