Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Modern comics continuity doesn't matter any more.....

I think writing for the trade and decompressed storytelling began in earnest with Marvel Comics' Ultimate Line in 2000.

Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis took 5 issues to tell his origin that Lee/Ditko told in 15 pages.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I think writing for the trade and decompressed storytelling began in earnest with Marvel Comics' Ultimate Line in 2000.

Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis took 5 issues to tell his origin that Lee/Ditko told in 15 pages.
    Bendis is definitely the poster child for it.

Alot's changed for me as I still remember when comics were fun to read before all the retconning and shock value such as character deaths for sales' sake. With Marvel and DC, they no longer go with what worked in the first place. Instead, pulling the rug from under everything to make a quick buck. I think Marvel is the one that's changed the worst and DC followed later on. I no longer buy comics every week like I used to as I now buy only a few handful or just buying back issues back in the day it was fun and it didn't get you upset. Most of the old characters I used to read everyday in my youth has been dramatically changed for the worst and I don't see these characters in the same light again. I don't know how it is with new and younger readers, but it may come a time in which the companies will do something to a character that'll upset you depending on the character and situation.

Don't get me started on comic movies, though.

Incredible Member

Been reading since 2009 but its incredible how many times within that 10 year span they kill Batman's parents or do 'something to Superman that will change the character forever' and 15 months later we've forgotten about it and a new writer comes on board and feels the need to shake things up.

For me the most significant one I can remember was how Johns pretty much made Carol and Hal endgame and then the next issue Venditti broke em up and had Carol with Kyle.

Or how Synder paired Batman with Julie Madison and then King is now all like 'CATWOMAN IS HIS LOVE BJKSFDSOGJIJKSK'

I think the biggest 'i stop caring about major events' was when Damian died and 8 months later Tomasi starts a resurrection arc. The kid must've been dead for like what 2 weeks at most?

I'm so jaded that once I get a good run for a character, I just stop following that book when new writers come aboard. Nightwing has done so much I feel like there's nothing left for the character even if he came back. But that's just how I feel about comics. Old arcs will be rebooted for a new generation and it will be called 'fresh'. Just look at Forever Evil 2 and Knightfall 2 right now.
    Last edited by Darkcrusade25; 08-11-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    Been reading since 2009 but its incredible how many times within that 10 year span they kill Batman's parents or do 'something to Superman that will change the character forever' and 15 months later we've forgotten about it and a new writer comes on board and feels the need to shake things up.

For me, the most significant one I can remember was how Johns pretty much made Carol and Hal endgame and then the next issue Venditti broke em up and had Carol with Kyle.

Or how Synder paired Batman with Julie Madison and then King is now all like 'CATWOMAN IS HIS LOVE BJKSFDSOGJIJKSK'

I think the biggest 'i stop caring about major events' was when Damian died and 8 months later Tomasi starts a resurrection arc. The kid must've been dead for like what 2 weeks at most?
    Julie Madison was not meant to last. She's specifically introduced as the life that Bruce couldn't have because he's Batman. That's why the romance only happened when Bruce is amnesia.

A better comparison would be Snyder defining Batman's true love as Gotham, but King did address that when Selina said she didn't care that she will always be second to Gotham in Batman's mind, she'll love him anyway, and again when she decided to broke up with him because Batman as a hero is more important than their relationship and happiness.

Damian died for a year. About the standard these days for killing, breaking, or amnesia character.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Julie Madison was not meant to last. She's specifically introduced as the life that Bruce couldn't have because he's Batman. That's why the romance only happened when Bruce is amnesia.

A better comparison would be Snyder defining Batman's true love as Gotham, but King did address that when Selina said she didn't care that she will always be second to Gotham in Batman's mind, she'll love him anyway, and again when she decided to broke up with him because Batman as a hero is more important than their relationship and happiness.

Damian died for a year. About the standard these days for killing, breaking, or amnesia character.
    Still though all these ridiculous events just numb the brain and bring me into a state of apathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    Still though all these ridiculous events just numb the brain and bring me into a state of apathy.
    I hear ya. Character death these days just make me roll my eyes, say "this again" and conclude it's a waste of time when I could be reading about them and giving DC money. I wanna say I don't understand a business decision that takes away a chance for an audience to keep buying a series, but then I remember the events, death or no death, sell double or triple the regular series, even for a short time. So they'll keep doing it if they need a quick injection.

Spectacular Member

For me, I've read comics all my life. My earliest memories are around the early 80's. A kid in a candy store. Went to my first comic shop in '89 at age 14. Since then I have gotten back issues and current books like everyone else.

What I've seen change the most is creative runs. That means creative teams that stay on a book for very long runs. Before I was born, creative teams would stay on a book for ten+ years. In the late 80's it became 5+ years. Starting in 2000 it started becoming just for the story arc. That means for every story arc there was a new creative team. This lead to me realizing that not all stories were accurate to the character.

So I decided to only keep the stories that fit the character I know. This has helped with keeping my collection manageable.
    Last edited by boltmonster; 08-12-2019 at 04:11 AM.

Astonishing Member

Early 80´s and collected older stuff in my youth.

Coorporate comics don't mean much anymore. The property has to be alive and therefor cannot really change, so that gets boring. I collected around 30-40 Marvel and DC comics a month back in the day. Today its around 10 a month. Only the best stuff gets in my home.

But, I discovered other gems, so comics are still alive for me. The walking dead was one of the best ongoings with a real ending and real repercussions. Same with Saga (it will end sometime). Savage Dragon, East of West, Port of Earth etc.

Even property like the Turtles at IDW are better handled than anything from the big two, even if I know that no Turtle will ever die.

I sold half of my collection, a few thousand books from Marvel, to buy as many independent or creator owned books I could get, and It was worth it. I still love the hobby, u just have to know what to read.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    Given the frequent sales on Comixology, $4-6 will often get you a digital collection of a multi-issue story line. I recently took advantage of a sale to get the first two collections of Sandman Mystery Theater.
    When it comes to digital comics I like to remember what Stan Lee said about them as opposed to ones you can hold in your hand. What Stan Lee said I can't repeat here else I will probably get suspended for a month.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by katefan View Post
    When it comes to digital comics I like to remember what Stan Lee said about them as opposed to ones you can hold in your hand. What Stan Lee said I can't repeat here else I will probably get suspended for a month.
    That does dovetail into another thing that has changed. I wouldn't have even imagined the digital option for music, books, comic books, etc in 1981. While there are certainly cons to going digital, there are an awful lot of pros as well. Convenience, lack of need for storage space & storage options (racks, bookcases, longboxes, etc), subscription services (Apple Music, DCU, etc), and portability have all been huge factors. I'm 100% digital on music & comics, 95+% digital on books, about 50% digital on video games, and about 10% digital on movies. The best internet where I live is DSL, so bigger downloads result in me going with physical options on things that would be larger downloads. The last physical book I bought was a slimline ESV Bible last year.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

Tangential question: without looking it up, how many know why Julie Madison might matter to Batman Lore at all?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Tangential question: without looking it up, how many know why Julie Madison might matter to Batman Lore at all?
    I'm gonna guess and say that she humanizes him and helps him heal mentally.
    She lives the life he would if he wasn't written to be so obsessive and psychologically unhinged.

Oh, and she's not another costumed character.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Hardcore Batman fans would know. Snyder readers if they read his interviews. Casual fans who read or watch Batman's list and trivia, maybe, but casual fans who only read/watch/play but not interested in trivia would not. They may have heard the name but not the significance.

That reminds me, Telltale Batman writers have Julia Remarque as a random reporter, seemingly not knowing that she's Alfred's daughter. The lets players definitely don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I'm gonna guess and say that she humanizes him and helps him heal mentally.
    She lives the life he would if he wasn't written to be so obsessive and psychologically unhinged.

Oh, and she's not another costumed character.
    She's Bruce's first love interest and fiancee in the Golden Age. Like how Doctor Death is Batman's first named villain, that's why Snyder used them for Zero Year.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-12-2019 at 07:02 PM.