Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default DC characters you enjoy more outside of comics

There's a lot of DC characters I really enjoy, but I don't really have a big desire to read about in comics because they're being serviced better in outside media. The biggest example at the moment is Cyborg. I really enjoyed Cyborg in the original Wolfman & Perez comics, but, since then, the character has been largely a dud for me. However, I adore him in Teen Titans Go! and the Doom Patrol TV show.

Is there anyone in the DCU you prefer in outside media than reading about in comics?

The entirety of Doom Patrol really, never gotten more than one or two issues into any of the runs but loved the show. Teen Titans or Titans too to large extent. There's maybe one run I've read consistently, Johns actually, so that might explain why I like the show. I've stuck with the Flash CW show longer than any of comics too.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Terra from the 2003 animation version. The original terra in Wolfman & Perez comics just makes me feel she is a psycho TBH, But in the 2003 version she has more charaterization developments IMO
    Last edited by qwertyuiop1998; 08-08-2019 at 07:25 AM.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Superman. I love the animated stuff and the Donner movies but in comics, save for some amazing examples such all star superman or red son, well, not so much really.

John Stewart's most iconic run ever was on Justice League/Justice League Unlimited and the comics have never even come close to approaching that level of quality for John since.

Also, Kaldur'ahm aka Jackson Hyde continues to be more compelling in Young Justice than in the comics but I'd like to think that they might bridge that gap one day, lest we have another John Stewart on our hands. Cyborg has also been handled with more competence and consistency on Doom Patrol, Teen Titans, and Teen Titans Go! than the comics have ever handled him; ok, maybe I can't say ever but at least the last decade or so.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-08-2019 at 11:05 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Heat Wave in Legends of Tomorrow, hands down.

Also, Superman from the DCAU. I love Superman and have read tons of his comics, but those shows did the character so perfectly I doubt anything will ever pass it.
    Last edited by Noodle; 08-08-2019 at 07:59 AM.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Also, Superman from the DCAU. I love Superman and have read tons of his comics, but those shows did the character so perfectly I doubt anything will ever pass it.
    Heh, that Superman (and Superman series in general) didn't do much for me. Oh well, different strokes.

Kaldur'ahm- the thread.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Batman....

I really enjoyed Adam Wests Batman. I am not a fan of the Batgod dick that he seemed to turn into in the newer comics. Adam West just had a fun mix of cheesy and adventure that I still love watching to this day.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Heh, that Superman (and Superman series in general) didn't do much for me. Oh well, different strokes.
    I get that. Seems (to me at least) that there's kind of two types of Superman fans: The ones that like Superman and the ones that like Clark. I fall into the second category and the shows did a great job of establishing his world (i.e. Lois, Lex, The Daily Planet, Smallville, Cadmus, fleshing out his villains).

But, to each their own.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

Most of the characters from the Titans/TT franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Superman. I love the animated stuff and the Donner movies but in comics, save for some amazing examples such all star superman or red son, well, not so much really.
    Me too. Superman is my favorite DC character. But only a few writers have the cache to raise him up to where he was in the 50s, or even the Reeve films.

Almost all the best Superman stories of the past 35 years have been outside DC continuity. Busiek and Johns tried in-continuity. But it'd take writers like Moore, Waid and Morrison to make Superman fly high again on a consistent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I get that. Seems (to me at least) that there's kind of two types of Superman fans: The ones that like Superman and the ones that like Clark. I fall into the second category and the shows did a great job of establishing his world (i.e. Lois, Lex, The Daily Planet, Smallville, Cadmus, fleshing out his villains).

But, to each their own.
    I do like Clark. Much prefer more Clark time. I just didn't much care for that show, anyway. I don't really recall why, to be honest. I seem to remember it playing up some sort Bruce/Lois angle (flirtation), which I dislike a great deal (didn't care for the Bruce/Diana angle in JL, either, and loathed the Bruce/Barbara thing so very much). Frankly, being connected to TNBA did NOT help. Liked it so much better when it was B:TAS. If it hadn't been Bruce all three times, it might have been different, but it wasn't. This was long before I ever watched any comics, and DCAU was where I began to dislike Batman a good bit. I do enjoy some stuff with him in mostly older comics.

So, I didn't really care for that Lois very much when I started. Not really big on Lana in Clark's adult life, either, though that's not a deal-breaker, and didn't liker her dating Lex (which I don't like Lois doing either, I admit). I quit regularly watching pretty quickly, so only recall that it didn't grab me. Except for the Bruce/Lois thing (which might have been Justice League for all I can remember - haven't watched any of it since original airing), I couldn't even tell you what I didn't care for about it. No passionate feelings, just that it didn't keep me interested.

edit: I remember really liking the opening episodes. After that, not so much. Looking the episode guides, I did keep watching throughout the first season. Looks like I just didn't pick up again after the hiatus between seasons. Looks like I only saw three or four random eps after that.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-08-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I get that. Seems (to me at least) that there's kind of two types of Superman fans: The ones that like Superman and the ones that like Clark.
    Maybe, but then lots of us recognize you need both - and that Superman requires some scale, and sci fi elements as well.

I like TAS, but it's a much more mundane, reduced and...neutered take on Superman.

Later on, when Timm produced the animated All-Star Superman, he lamented he wished that book had existed prior to the show, to guide him.