Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Is MCU Nick Fury still Nick Fury?
    Heīs Nick Fury who resembles Ultimate Nick Fury but he certainly isnīt the original 616 Nick Fury, the one whoīs been around since WWII for example. They are different characters.

It's going to have to be changed unless you want to see the X-Men beating up an old man. Magneto's backstory is great, but it creates huge problems in a universe with a sliding timeline. You could find a way to de-age him but I always thought that was goofy.
    But Wolverine, Mystique and Captain America are no problem for the sliding timeline? Sorry, but I just donīt see what makes Magneto different from those characters.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 08-08-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    This from the guy who was arguing in another thread that continuity and history don't matter as long as the stories are good.

I love you, man.
    Okay, well, that's not what I said. So. I said that stories should adhere to continuity, ideally they all would, but that stories should not generally be stories about other stories, and that they should be able to be followed and understand both in a vaccuum and in the context of the universe with all of the back-issues. The alternative is producing content that doesn't work because it doesn't fit or content that doesn't work because it's impenetrable and mired in separate details.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Agreed

If Captain America surviving because of ice isnīt a stretch then I donīt see why itīs a stretch Magneto aging slowly, heīs an extremely powerful mutant after all. Itīs curious why this always seems to be a problem for Magneto but not for Bucky, Wolverine, Captain America, Namor, Thor, etc. The MCU is made of super-hero movies, their very concept is a stretch on reality.
    I mean, the people you mention have built in excuses...

Bucky- put in deep freeze to keep young + SSS knock off
    Wolv- healing factor
    Cap- frozen + SSS
    Namor- doesn't exist in MCU but he's atlantean, they can always so they live longer
    Thor- lives thousands nad thousands of years

I mean, they can always give Mags a healing factor of some sort (hey, people believe in bogus healing magnets!) but they have to have something to explain it.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    It's going to have to be changed unless you want to see the X-Men beating up an old man.

Magneto's backstory is great, but it creates huge problems in a universe with a sliding timeline. You could find a way to de-age him but I always thought that was goofy.
    How is that "goofy" in a universe with a talking raccoon, a flying norse god, or a mild mannered scientist who turns into a giant green monster when he gets angry? Again -- and I'm sorry to repeat myself -- but again, why does Magneto's WWII backstory (or Cap's for Peggy Carter's for that matter), pose a problem in the super hero science fiction often fantastical but grounded in reality Marvel Universe?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    Yes! But can you see the subtle shift in focus that the op made? Can Giancarlo play Magneto? Of course he can! He's a great actor, who could easily play a Jewish Holocaust survivor! But the op then implied that IF Mr. Esposito plays Magneto, he *can't possibly* be a Holocaust survivor any longer, that this is the excuse for erasing Magneto's Jewish identity and Holocaust backstory. This is how you can sometimes ascertain a person's real motives in bringing up this subject. What does one thing have to do with the other? Of course Mr. Esposito can play the character Magneto, a Jewish survivor of WWII Auschwitz, and of course there is no reason why as a powerful mutant Magneto can't still be in his prime in 2020 or thereafter.

There isn't actually any reason why Disney/Marvel needs to change Magneto's backstory.
    I was not implying anything. Your post is implying I am in some way racist which is total bullshit so knock it off.

World War II is not as inseparably tied to the concept of Nick Fury the way it is to Captain America and Magneto. It's not needed at all if you're not going into his relationships with the Howlers. The same applies to Iron Man in Vietnam or the Punisher to Vietnam. The only one you can compare to Magneto is Captain America, and no one would argue in a post-MCU world that his background should be changed.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I said that stories should adhere to continuity, ideally they all would, but that stories should not generally be stories about other stories...
    What's the difference?

Any sequel, flashback, or reference to a previously published story is to some degree a "story about another story".

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I mean, the people you mention have built in excuses...

Bucky- put in deep freeze to keep young + SSS knock off
    Wolv- healing factor
    Cap- frozen + SSS
    Namor- doesn't exist in MCU but he's atlantean, they can always so they live longer
    Thor- lives thousands nad thousands of years

I mean, they can always give Mags a healing factor of some sort (hey, people believe in bogus healing magnets!) but they have to have something to explain it.
    I agree and I donīt think thatīs hard to explain given the nature of Magnetoīs powers. Itīs a story that needs to be told certainly but no one impossible to make.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 08-08-2019 at 01:21 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    What's the difference?

Any sequel, flashback, or reference to a previously published story is to some degree a "story about another story".
    what is the difference between a story like avengers forever that has a cast comprised of characters from specific points of continuity, has an entire issue dedicated to going over continuity, another issue going over continuity and then applying retcons, and a plot about exploring deep-cut continuity settings

and

a modern avengers story that references civil war every now and then or has a paragraph or page summarizing someone's history a few times

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Is Red Son Superman, Superman?
    To me? No he is not. I don't know why, but AU versions of characters always feel like weird discount dime store bootlegs for some reason.

Also, there's no reason why a powerful dangerous mutant like Magneto wouldn't be cryofreezed by the military if they saw some potential in keeping him around.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

There’s a million ways to extend Magneto’s lifespan, or even extend the duration of Nazi death camps. It’s just a matter of adding another conceit to the character's backstory. Maybe Hydra put him in a Winter Soldier container until lil soldier Charlie X finds him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I was not implying anything. Your post is implying I am in some way racist which is total bullshit so knock it off.
    I apologize! I sometimes go too far in trying to make my point!

For the sake of discourse, what about the Holocaust specifically informs Magneto’s character —aside from being a survivor of a genocide?

Extraordinary Member

The holocaust bit is a retcon and good riddance.

The only reason Cap needs to be tied to WWII is because it is ridiculous to think that any current super soldier program that results in a guy who can throw a bouncing shield would even be given the go-ahead and given that the only novelty about him is the 10 minutes of old fashioned guy getting hit in the face with decades of society changing, like that Brendan Fraser comedy about the kid who grew up in a post WWII bomb shelter.

Magneto just needs to be the opposite of Xavier. Done.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

One of the big things for me with keeping him tied to WWII is having to explain him not really doing anything for over 80 years. If you say he has aged slowly then you still have to explain that he basically sat on his hands for decades doing nothing, and that does not sound like any version of Magneto.