Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Being a Jew is 100% part of Magneto. I'd rather have him being a mutant because of an ''injustice'' in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict (or the Egypt-Israel war/Jordan-Israel war) than the Rwanda genocide.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Cap coming from Vietnam doesn't work because World War 2 was the last time the US could say they were decisively the good guys in a wartime conflict. Korea and Vietnam were both morally ambiguous "police actions", actions that Captain America seemed to heavily disagree with in the first Avengers movie. His origin as a hero at a time where the soldiers were heroes defeating an ultimate evil is central to his character coming into conflict with the current era of morally grey zones of conflict.
    100% true.
    Last edited by Magneto; 08-08-2019 at 04:54 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I don’t believe being a Holocaust survivor is essential to the character. I’m asking what about the Holocaust specifically informed his character.
    Why do YOU have a problem with Magneto being a Jewish Holocaust survivor, because you seem to be slobbering at the mouth in this thread to erase his ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Cap coming from Vietnam doesn't work because World War 2 was the last time the US could say they were decisively the good guys in a wartime conflict. Korea and Vietnam were both morally ambiguous "police actions", actions that Captain America seemed to heavily disagree with in the first Avengers movie. His origin as a hero at a time where the soldiers were heroes defeating an ultimate evil is central to his character coming into conflict with the current era of morally grey zones of conflict.
    Not really Captian America works whether he is fighting against ultimate evil or He is one good man learning that cause he is fighting for isn't what he thought it was, The framework of the story would still work regardless of what War he is in of course elements would have to change because of whatever you put him.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Why do YOU have a problem with Magneto being a Jewish Holocaust survivor, because you seem to be slobbering at the mouth in this thread to erase his ethnicity.
    That’s an unnecessarily hostile characterization.

I think the bones of the character concept work regardless of backstory. It’s a provocative and unpopular position, but I can put it down and discuss it elsewhere.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 08-08-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The rumors going around is that Marvel might change up Magento's origin when they use him in the movies. Some rumors are saying Giancarlo Esposito (from Breaking Bad) could be cast with Magneto being a survivor of the Rwandan genocide instead of the holocaust. The main point is the holocaust was so long ago now it is is getting harder and harder to have a character who was there without having to have the character be a very old man. People have been saying for a while resetting it his origin in Rwanda or Bosnia is the best solution without having to go dumb ideas like "he ages real slow" or "he was thrown forward in time" troupes.

I would be perfectly fine with changing his origin point because I think you could get the same impact by having him live through one of the more recent atrocities as from the holocaust, but I am curious what die hard fans on place like this message board would think if they changed it.
    Lol, you mean those rumors that started on Reddit? Please.

Ill bite: why cant he be an old man?

EDIT: WHOA didnt realize this has bee nasked and debated already.

My two cents: Magneto has the most iconic villian backstory in all of comics, practically on-par with heroes like Batman or Spiderman. Not saying that they couldn't change it, but I think the holocaust is one thing I don't remind reminding people of.
    Last edited by GrandEleven; 08-08-2019 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    Ill bite: why cant he be an old man?

EDIT: WHOA didnt realize this has bee nasked and debated already.

My two cents: Magneto has the most iconic villian backstory in all of comics, practically on-par with heroes like Batman or Spiderman. Not saying that they couldn't change it, but I think the holocaust is one thing I don't remind reminding people of.
    Because the MCU needs to be hip and young and fresh! "What are thooose!"

I don't remember the exact numbers, but a sadly low percentage of Americans even know how long ago the Holocaust or WWII took place, and who fought who, so I don't know why anything needs to be fixed.

Ok, so keep Magneto Jewish, but have him be the son of a famous Nazi Hunter who was killed by the men he was hunting. Magneto tracks down the people who killed his father and finds out they are now experimenting on Mutants and the experiments they are performing on Mutants are so horrifying that it shakes Magneto to his core. Magneto realizes that mutants are being treated no differently than the Jewish people of his father's generation so he dedicates his life to his Father's memory and hunts down anyone who hurts, persecutes, or oppresses mutants, Jewish people, or even other minorities.

There, I have modernized the Magneto story, while keeping his Jewish heritage and even given him a link to the Holocaust through his father.

Nothing they do, no one they cast, no origin they rewrite, will ever beat the bar scene with Michael Fassbender.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Because the MCU needs to be hip and young and fresh! "What are thooose!"
    And yet modern white supremacist and isolationist rumblings in the US ... what a better time to bring back a villain who can remind us what this can lead to if left un-checked?

I don't know, outside the occasional "omg he should be older" I frankly don't think anyone would really care enough for there to be any kind of explanation. Holocaust survivor. Done. The story is just too good as is.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    That’s an unnecessarily hostile characterization.

I think the bones of the character concept work regardless of backstory. It’s a provocative and unpopular position, but I can put it down and discuss it elsewhere.
    To be fair being an holocaust survivor and jewish IS the backbone of his character... Magneto's backstory and motivations are more important to the character than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Nothing they do, no one they cast, no origin they rewrite, will ever beat the bar scene with Michael Fassbender.
    I assume you mean this one:

Magneto is easily my top villain in all comics. So good.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    To be fair being an holocaust survivor and jewish IS the backbone of his character... Magneto's backstory and motivations are more important to the character than anything else.
    Out of curiosity, when did they become important?

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    And yet Ultimate Magneto was not, and was still *a* Magneto.