Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your Favorite Superman References in Pop Culture

Superman has and still is referenced in pop culture like TV, music, movies, etc. But what are your favorite references?

I loved The Iron Giant movie, especially when he mentions Superman as he sacrifices himself. He wants to be a hero. Brings a tear to my eye.

Also really enjoy all the many Superman references in Seinfeld. They even mention Bizarro. :P

Kryptonite as slang for somebody's weakness is used all the time practically everywhere.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Kryptonite as slang for somebody's weakness is used all the time practically everywhere.
    A recent issue of Iron Man even used it! Speaking of Marvel, I have a Spider-Man newspaper strip from 2006 that makes a direct reference to Superman. That's probably my favorite "out of continuity" reference. So did that first movie. When Aunt May is in the hospital and and she tells Peter he's not Superman.
    Assassinate Putin!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Seinfeld is my all time favorite show, so there is that in general, but the Bizarro episode, the idea of Bizarro being a pop culture concept, and the Composite Superman references of the show are my favorite things.

And it's less specific, but the shirt rip being so iconic and Lois being a household name are also great.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Forgot the song's name, but - you don't tug on Superman's cape.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That was Jim Croce with "You Don't Mess Around With Jim." I like him but I really have always loved Celi Bee's Superman song. Moreso because I like image songs over the real references.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Yeah Kryptonite and the shirt rip are all over pop culture. The Incredibles 2 movie even had it I think.

I am Latina, and when I was growing up there was this very famous children singing group that I totally loved called 'Parchis' and they had a song called "Superman" and also a dog with the same name. The dog showed up in a couple of movies this group had. There are also other singers that also mention Supes in their songs in Spanish. One mentions Supes and Wonder Woman dancing.

Last edited by stargazer01; 08-08-2019 at 04:50 PM.

I love Sloth doing the shirt rip in The Goonies.

Most of the Superman jokes in Family Guy are great as well.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

There’s a ton of great Superman songs and songs that reference Superman that I’ve listened to and loved.

To many for me to name, so I'll just mention something recent to me. I never saw the movie Megamind until about a month ago. Metroman obviously isn't really Superman, but seeing how many facets of Superman they borrowed to come up with Metroman was something I really liked.

In general, I just like how Superman is the measuring stick for all other superheroes, and how aspects of his mythology have everyday usages. Several dictionaries even credit Superman as the etymology for the word Brainiac.

The Goonies one is also a fave!

I just saw an episode of the highly rated show "Mom" and this guy just mentioned Superman in a really funny context. He's in his 50s and his girlfriend wanted to go out and watch a movie at night and later have sex, and he said, "who do you think I am, Superman?"

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Where superman flew all the jews out of Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Seinfeld is my all time favorite show, so there is that in general, but the Bizarro episode, the idea of Bizarro being a pop culture concept, and the Composite Superman references of the show are my favorite things.

And it's less specific, but the shirt rip being so iconic and Lois being a household name are also great.
    The Race is great too. With the John Williams theme playing over the foot race and the wink at the end. Plus all the Lois jokes throughout.

Most of mine have already been mentioned. Iron Giant, Aunt May in Spoder-Man, and the Goonies shirt rip being some of the best.

Liz Lemon’s response to writing the greatest love story ever is also great.

Last edited by Yoda; 08-10-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Neo doing his Superman thing.

Also really love the song "One Call Away" because it encapsulates what Superman does in the lyrics. One of my fave radio stations put it on a lot when it came out.

I'm only one call away
    I'll be there to save the day
    Superman got nothing on me
    I'm only one call away

And when you're weak I'll be strong
    I'm gonna keep holding on
    Now don't you worry, it won't be long, Darling
    And when you feel like hope is gone
    Just run into my arms