View Poll Results: Who is closest to their source?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ant-Man (Lang)

4 10.00%
  • The Black Panther

10 25.00%
  • The Black Widow

4 10.00%
  • Captain America

27 67.50%
  • Doctor Strange

10 25.00%
  • The Falcon

2 5.00%
  • Hawkeye

0 0%
  • The Hulk

3 7.50%
  • Iron Man

8 20.00%
  • Scarlet Witch

0 0%
  • Spider-Man

2 5.00%
  • Valkyrie

0 0%
  • Vision

5 12.50%
  • Wasp

0 0%
  • Winter Soldier

9 22.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Which MCU Characters Are Most Faithful To Their Sources?

Generally, I've been happy with most portrayals of Marvel Characters in the MCU. Naturally, as with almost all cinematic adaptations, they each deviate a bit from their source material. Some more than others. Which characters do you think have consistently been closest to their source material?

ETA: I know I've omitted TGotG, but the poll would only handle 15 options.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 06-23-2020 at 12:12 PM.

My first thought was Winter Soldier since they did a fairly accurate adaptation of Brubaker's character, but then I thought without being Cap's teen sidekick, he isn't faithful to Bucky. Similarly, characters like Peter (without Uncle Ben) and Wanda (without Magneto) don't feel accurate because they ignored important characters in their backstory.

So then I said screw it and voted for Vision because he's still a synthezoid created by Ultron who joins the Avengers and discovers his humanity. Feels like they hit the major beats with him.

I feel like most the characters have something about them changed but they give you that feeling of the character. They captured the spirit or essence or whatever of Tony Stark while not being all that faithful. The biggest one is Cap though they defiently changed some stuff but I couldn't imagine a better captain America. Black Panther is pretty close, hes still pretty smart but it looks like they took his top tier brain and gave it to Suri.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    My first thought was Winter Soldier since they did a fairly accurate adaptation of Brubaker's character, but then I thought without being Cap's teen sidekick, he isn't faithful to Bucky. Similarly, characters like Peter (without Uncle Ben) and Wanda (without Magneto) don't feel accurate because they ignored important characters in their backstory.

So then I said screw it and voted for Vision because he's still a synthezoid created by Ultron who joins the Avengers and discovers his humanity. Feels like they hit the major beats with him.
    Uncle Ben exists in MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Uncle Ben exists in MCU.
    True. Having the origin already done in two previous versions, they decided it would be a mistake to rehash it again. But Peter said something that implied it happened.
    Power with Girl is better.

I like most of the MCU versions. I remember hearing a joke that went:
    Answer: Many of the beloved superheroes of my childhood are being used in movies but this is decades after their beginnings and a different medium so they are presented in a different way and I'm okay with that.
    Question: What is something you will almost never hear on social media?

That said, and not knowing the full origins of some of the characters, I would say the Black Panther seems pretty solid on the origin. Scott Lang seems fairly good except for Dr. Henry Pym being an old man. But the basic idea is still there.

I guess the basic idea of the Black Widow is still there and it is implied she went through a villain stage and has a strong emotional connection to Hawkeye but they were never lovers.

I honestly believe Captain America's origin is an improvement with a believable reason he's running around in that costume in WWII.

Dr. Strange is a tough one. It's certainly similar but is it really "magic" or some sort of mental powers and martial arts?

I would say the Black Panther may be the closest to the comics and the Falcon may be the furthest based on what we know so far in the movies.

BANNED

Iron Man 1 is the most faithful. The least faithful are GOTG and Spiderman.

Has anyone seen some of the Wandaversion promotions. It feels more like a spin off of Olsen twins and full house. I don't need to watch the show to know X-Men Evolution's Wanda will still be the best adaption of the character on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post

Has anyone seen some of the Wandaversion promotions. It feels more like a spin off of Olsen twins and full house. I don't need to watch the show to know X-Men Evolution's Wanda will still be the best adaption of the character on screen.
    Yes yes, slap on some goth gear, add a pinch of edginess, and call it a day.

No. Not even sorry.

Evolution Wanda is not comic Wanda. WatXM is the best cartoon Scarlet Witch.

'Source' as in 616 or Ultimates? Honestly I default and segregate to the 616 but wasn't chunks of what we see in the MCU based off of The Ultimates?

Also this is geared toward the major characters and by and large they pretty much get them right enough where It's not a point of contention. Even if it was or did, I feel it rarely crosses the gap between creatively fleshing out 2D iterations to 3 dimensions on film. It's kinda interesting when you think about the circles of the major characters. Take Tony for example, he's not 'my' Tony from 1987 of course but close enough, so then how about Pepper, Happy, James, Howard, even Bambi (for the 2 seconds she was on screen) as an extension? Justin Hammer is about as far away from his 616 source as there is. Rockwell was great and he was enjoyable (not so much IM2) but he wasn't really 2D Justin Hammer. The heroes and main characters got it, it's the supporting characters who deviate imo. Obidiah looked the part and he worked better than the 616 version, I never bought why he took him self out in IM #200. I am kind of shitty we never got anything other than a mention of A.I.M. in IM3, I wanna say one of the helmets showed up in the back of somewhere in another movie but I don't think so.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Gunn's GotG is very faithful to the DnA Guardians.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

The first Iron-man was great but Obadiah Stane in the comics had nothing to do with his origin, not showing up until close to #200. Also, the experience that made him IM only reinforced Stark's dedication to building weapons for the old old U.S.A. because the Commie Menace had to be stopped. His anti-weapons stance and his alcoholism were a decade later. Good movie. One could argue that it includes all the elements but just squeezes them together all at once.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    The first Iron-man was great but Obadiah Stane in the comics had nothing to do with his origin, not showing up until close to #200. Also, the experience that made him IM only reinforced Stark's dedication to building weapons for the old old U.S.A. because the Commie Menace had to be stopped. His anti-weapons stance and his alcoholism were a decade later. Good movie. One could argue that it includes all the elements but just squeezes them together all at once.
    Agreed. Still, aside from the role of Stane, Iron Man is probably the single closest interpretation of the 616 comics the MCU produced.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Gunn's GotG is very faithful to the DnA Guardians.

It was not faithful to GOTG. Marvel has never written any comedy toned story about GOTG.

Evolution Wanda was better. There was more depth to the character.
    Evolution Wanda was about as accurate to the character as the version of Deadpool we got in the Wolverine movie was.

Maybe you like it, maybe you don't, but the character couldn't have been more different if they tried.

X-men Evolution was really bad about completely changing characters into things they weren't. Like Goth Rogue, teenage Forge from the 60s, well adjusted teenage videogamer Arcade, the entire Brotherhood ...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Evolution Wanda was about as accurate to the character as the version of Deadpool we got in the Wolverine movie was.

Maybe you like it, maybe you don't, but the character couldn't have been more different if they tried.

X-men Evolution was really bad about completely changing characters into things they weren't. Like Goth Rogue, teenage Forge from the 60s, well adjusted teenage videogamer Arcade, the entire Brotherhood ...
    You may be mistaken faithful as a 100% adaption of the source. Let me just come out and say, that is an impossible achievement. there is a difference between that and the characterisation itself.

Evolution Wanda is the best portrayal of Wanda because it is the only portrayal of wanda that has covered all sides to her personality we have seen in the comics.

WATX Wanda and Movie Wanda have failed to do so.