Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

When I'm watching a show and a woman's butt is in the camera shot and a big-ass logo or advertisement pops up to block it. It's like wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Great points on all counts.

Mary Tyler Moore - a show that I have very few complaints about - from the inside, it always showed Rhoda's apartment being one flight up from Mary's apartment. Yet when you look at the outside of the house, Mary and Rhoda's apartments appear to be on the same floor. And speaking of Rhoda's tiny apartment, where was her bathroom supposed to be?
    And on Supergirl Kara Danvers has a huge apartment but it doesn't seem to have a bathroom. Kind of hearkens back to 1950s/60s sit-coms where no one went to the bathroom.
    (Do Kryptonians go? In all the movies and films have we ever seen one?)

Astonishing Member

If you process solar radiation, you poop infra-red.

i think several movies use the same newspaper. once you notice it, it canīt be unseen
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Astonishing Member

Same little cargo ship is strafed and blows up. It has served as a battleship, carrier or cruiser in every navy in WWII. Warship firing at shore, probably no relation to the country that ship supposedly belongs to.

Watching the Supernatural season first episode. They have the pump shotguns that have more rounds in them than they could carry and when racked never eject an empty.
    Last edited by Captain Smith; 10-12-2019 at 07:36 PM.

When you are watching a scene like a car speeding off, and the car leaving causes dirt to get onto the lens. I know nothing can be done, but I simply find it annoying.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I was just watching Shawshank Redemption last night and something occurred to me that makes for a hole in the story as big as the one Andy Dufresne makes in the wall of his cell. When he finds out who really murdered his wife, why does he go to the warden instead of calling his defense attorney? I mean, sure the warden has been nice to him at that point, but Andy's a smart guy. He should know that the warden is not his friend, and more importantly, it's not his job to get a new trial for a wrongly imprisoned inmate. That's the job of a defense attorney. Now granted, it's almost twenty years after Andy's original trial and his original defense attorney is likely retired or dead, but he could still get some representation.

I know the in-story reason. It gives the warden a reason to put Andy in solitary and convince Andy that escape is the only way out for him. But it still makes me wonder why a smart guy like Andy Dufresne wouldn't go to his defense attorney instead of the warden.

Astonishing Member

DC never undestanding the electromagnetic spectrum. Science idiots. In Superman, Green Lantern, Supergirl - they just spout idiocy about 'rays' of various types and how color works.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    DC never undestanding the electromagnetic spectrum. Science idiots. In Superman, Green Lantern, Supergirl - they just spout idiocy about 'rays' of various types and how color works.
    That goes along with sci-fi movies where they find or something is made out of a mysterious new element with extraordinary properties. Every element from 1 to 116 is already known. Element numbers are based on the
    number of protons in the nucleus. Hydrogen has 1. Helium 2. All the way up to Livermorium which is element 116 and has 116 protons in the nucleus. So there can't be an element somewhere in the middle not known about.
    And anything above around 100 is so unstable and radioactive that it breaks down in a small fraction of a second. Certainly nothing stable enough to build a space ship out of. Or even something like kryptonite where chunks
    of it are laying about. And that isn't even getting into what all the different colors of kryptonite are supposed to be. (I suppose they could be allotropes. Like diamonds and graphite are of carbon. Or red, white, and black phosphorus)
    We also have a pretty good handle on what all the sub-atomic particles are. So what exactly is the radiation kryptonite gives off that it only affects one species of aliens out of all the different species of aliens, including humans,
    that are unaffected by kryptonite. (At most kryptonite gives humans cancer after long term exposure, like what happened to Lex Luthor.)

Costumes that just kind of roll onto a person's body out of nowhere. The MCU is especially bad about this, like in Endgame with the time travel suits. It doesn't bug me when its just a small piece of a costume, like Starlord's helmet. Just when its the whole costume thing really always bugs me.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Whenever there's danger involved explosions,crashes,etc.The guy always grabs the girls hand and they run together trying to get away.
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Costumes that just kind of roll onto a person's body out of nowhere. The MCU is especially bad about this, like in Endgame with the time travel suits. It doesn't bug me when its just a small piece of a costume, like Starlord's helmet. Just when its the whole costume thing really always bugs me.
    yeah that comes with actors wanting as much facetime as possible. aragorn (any fantasy/medieval character) wearing a helmet? 2 seconds into the battle he will lose it.
    also the reason why spider-man was (any other masked hero) unmasked so often, when it is such an important part of his character to conceil his true identity.
    i donīt like it
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Pissed me off when, in Johns' GL, Hal willy nilly turned a yellow or red star into a blue star to save a planet because... Hope. Nevermind what the different radiation would do to the lifeforms.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    That goes along with sci-fi movies where they find or something is made out of a mysterious new element with extraordinary properties. Every element from 1 to 116 is already known. Element numbers are based on the
    number of protons in the nucleus. Hydrogen has 1. Helium 2. All the way up to Livermorium which is element 116 and has 116 protons in the nucleus. So there can't be an element somewhere in the middle not known about.
    And anything above around 100 is so unstable and radioactive that it breaks down in a small fraction of a second. Certainly nothing stable enough to build a space ship out of. Or even something like kryptonite where chunks
    of it are laying about. And that isn't even getting into what all the different colors of kryptonite are supposed to be. (I suppose they could be allotropes. Like diamonds and graphite are of carbon. Or red, white, and black phosphorus)
    We also have a pretty good handle on what all the sub-atomic particles are. So what exactly is the radiation kryptonite gives off that it only affects one species of aliens out of all the different species of aliens, including humans,
    that are unaffected by kryptonite. (At most kryptonite gives humans cancer after long term exposure, like what happened to Lex Luthor.)
    Real-world scientists do still expect to find more islands of stability further up the periodic table.

The effects of K on Kryptonians might have something to do with what makes them special under yellow stars in the first place.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    yeah that comes with actors wanting as much facetime as possible. aragorn (any fantasy/medieval character) wearing a helmet? 2 seconds into the battle he will lose it.
    also the reason why spider-man was (any other masked hero) unmasked so often, when it is such an important part of his character to conceil his true identity.
    i donīt like it
    Thank you. Keeping characters masked must represent a risk in the eyes of actors and the studios. Personally I think the decision to keep a character masked makes them more mysterious, creates a needed separation between the identities and gives their unmasked time more weight.

The Raimi films took a more "masked all the time" approach. But they employed a little trick or two in still getting actors face time in the movies, by ripping up parts of Peter's mask pretty often. Well until Venom came along - Topher Grace must have really lobbied for that face time.

The Venom film did a much better job, iirc.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.