Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I always wonder how space ships, like in SW or ST are flying through space in light speed or hyper time or whatever, and never hit a meter, or even a rock. That would be devastating with that speed...
    I think Star Trek at least has an explanation for that-the big dish on the ships takes care of that.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

time machines have been bugging me for years.
    if you only travel in time and not also in space, you would likely end up somewhere in open space, because earth (for example) was at a different location in the past or will be in the future...
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    time machines have been bugging me for years.
    if you only travel in time and not also in space, you would likely end up somewhere in open space, because earth (for example) was at a different location in the past or will be in the future...
    Since time and space are relative, there's no such thing as "the same location" when dealing with time travel. There's no fixed point to compare the place/time you left to the place/time you arrived - since everything is moving. It would have to be dependent on the relative position of your departure point. (i.e. "earth") Time is dependent on place and motion - you can't travel through one without the other. See?

(yeah, I'm just pulling that out of my butt but is that any more nonsensical that "Avengers:Endgame?")

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    Which is one of the reasons why I think a popular critique of Endgame that untold numbers of people died when Bruce snapped them back without a plane to be on anymore is rubbish. The earth is moving at a million miles an hour in 7 directions simultaneously. Of course he accounted for people being on airplanes when they disappeared. He accounted for everyone being millions of miles from where they had been

Retired

The Sun is also moving, at almost half a milion miles per hour, through the galaxy. So not only do you have to account for where the Earth will be in relation to the Sun, you have to account for where the Sun will be in relation to the rest of the galaxy. Given we're all on this ride--human beings are going at really high speeds every second, even when we think we're standing still.

Yes the only out I can see for the Earth to still be under your feet is to say that it's gravity still works through the time displacement

But I have wondered if the time machine from the H G Wells, as shown in the film at least, would cause a black hole effect. As the traveller pushes the lever forwards, time starts to speed up around the machine. This means the pilot should appear frozen in time but that any object plus large quantities of air that move into his time field can't easily escape. The pilot would probably get quickly crushed by the high air pressure.

I can see it working for something like the TARDIS, since it's an incredibly complex machine and doesn't just travel in time, but also through space. So there's probably some calculation it makes or something with it's computer to "land" in the right place. Or not (As it's been known in a few episodes, it does have a tendency to be "off" sometimes, perhaps intentionally).

Stuff like the Delorean is a bit harder to figure out though, but a lot of the series's time travel doesn't make that much sense when given higher scrutiny anyway, it's just supposed to be fun.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Perp has taken innocent hostage with a gun. Two officers are ten to eight feet away in the same room. The perp is clearly exposing his head, shoulders, right arm and part of his chest from behind hostage. An easy shot to the head, but no, we're going to put our guns on the floor instead.

Astonishing Member

Zombies in The Walking Dead. Or the pacing of the characters and the Undead. It almost never works. The Zombie is 100 f. away, people are in panic but don't run, no they discuss what to do, bang Zombie is 5 feet near, they run...something like that...

Or Rick could have killed Negan in season 7, I believe...Gabriel came up and told Rick there is no time for it, the Saviors are coming. Rick thinks about it for at least 5 seconds (Negan still vunerable) and decides to leave. Wow, stupid, these 5 seconds were enough to shoot Negan and run....

TWD and FTWD is full of that stuff. Don't get me started on the death of the Tiger. WTF???

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    Perp has taken innocent hostage with a gun. Two officers are ten to eight feet away in the same room. The perp is clearly exposing his head, shoulders, right arm and part of his chest from behind hostage. An easy shot to the head, but no, we're going to put our guns on the floor instead.
    That is standard law enforcement technique on Law and Order, SVU. They are the most incompetent gun users and H2H fighters you can imagine. Anyone remember when Olivia loaded her gun with rubber bullets so she wouldn't kill a guy trying to set his girl friend on fire?

Astonishing Member

I dropped Walking Dead when each plot was:

1. Walking around
    2. Meet some nuts
    3. Go to a settlement with nuts
    4. Somebody gets killed by nuts and someone is eaten
    5. Let's go walk around some more.

Minor point - where do they get toilet paper?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    I dropped Walking Dead when each plot was:

1. Walking around
    2. Meet some nuts
    3. Go to a settlement with nuts
    4. Somebody gets killed by nuts and someone is eaten
    5. Let's go walk around some more.

Minor point - where do they get toilet paper?
    I stopped watching once I noticed that if the C-level supporting cast get a great deal of character development and lines in that episode, that they were doomed before the end credits.

Retired

In too many movies and TV shows you know who is going to turn out to be the person that did the bad thing because a well-known actor has been cast in an apparently unimportant role.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I stopped watching once I noticed that if the C-level supporting cast get a great deal of character development and lines in that episode, that they were doomed before the end credits.
    I noticed that with that Axel guy. He got a bunch of screen time out of nowhere and then mid conversation with Carol BAM. Even Abrahim got elevated from B list character to Lead for the end of the season before Negan. So they telegraphed his fate, Glen was always a lead so that was fine.

As far as Toilet paper alot of people are dead. Im assuming between the south and Washinton DC there is probaly more toilet paper then Rick and his group could use in 10years. I mean you hit 2 Costco's and Walmart and I think Rick's group is set for years lol jk. All of this assumes they are all using Toilet paper. Look at Daryyl does he look like he has a clean ass? Probaly not .... just saying