Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Retired

It doesn't happen much in new movies, but in old movies when they shoot day for night, they still have shadows from trees and other objects, so it doesn't look like night. You'd think they could light the scene so there aren't shadows like that--but they don't seem to care.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    The plants in Justice League’s farm scene.

I honestly can’t even explain it but they bug me far more than they should.
    Same CGI team as the mustache removal team?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Most every alien on Star Trek has a weird forehead. Sure there were a lizard, blob and furry in some episodes but most were putty on the noggin.

I think that's in part due to the low budget that pretty much all the shows and many of the movies have had.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

It's been suggested that prior to Q Who that the Federation (or rather, Section 31, which of course has become an even bigger part of Trek lore since Ds9) largely classified previous encounters.

However, there were enough rumors going around for people to investigate (Seven of Nine's family), and of course the Borg had been at least poking around Federation and Romulan space around the time of "The Neutral Zone".

Also apparently Quinan and the other refugees kept the Borg thing a secret, as Quinan obviously knew beforehand but didn't tell Picard and company. (Plus a lot of them were initially dazed from the Nexus removal when they were rescued as well).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 08-13-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It doesn't happen much in new movies, but in old movies when they shoot day for night, they still have shadows from trees and other objects, so it doesn't look like night. You'd think they could light the scene so there aren't shadows like that--but they don't seem to care.
    It's very noticeable in Liar, Liar. Heck, even the daytime scenes show unlit lamp posts with two shadows.

Meaningless things that bother me about films and television?

Why no love for the redshirts? Seriously, one person with plot armor gets into a slightly precarious position, everyone goes, "Oh noes!"

Countless numbers of people dying bravely, and they are promptly ignored. Those people probably had friends and families too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Meaningless things that bother me about films and television?

Why no love for the redshirts? Seriously, one person with plot armor gets into a slightly precarious position, everyone goes, "Oh noes!"

Countless numbers of people dying bravely, and they are promptly ignored. Those people probably had friends and families too!
    True, and interestingly enough this could be played out often too. TV shows instead of always threatening to kill the main character, threaten to kill someone else. The possibility of that character death would have the audience more engaged.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

This isn't meaningless but it bugs me. So many new series start with a GRAND CONSPIRACY that will never be resolved.

Retired

Here's something that bugs me of late, but it's something that usually happens on TV news broadcasts and youtube videos and sometimes documentaries. Someone says something and at the same time in big bold letters what they are saying appears on the screen. I find this annoying, because it makes me want to read the text but at the same I have the person reading to me what's in the text--it's like having demands made on two different parts of my brain to process the same information simultaneously. This wouldn't be so annoying if the text appeared in a crawl at the bottom of the screen, but when it appears in the centre of the screen in a big bold font, it's hard to ignore. And you can't mute the video, because not everything they are saying is what's in the text on screen. This seems to be something that happens more and more--maybe they know that people have the sound turned down, so they want to be sure you get the message--or maybe they want to make it very clear that what they are saying is highlighted as important information. I don't know, but it gives me a headache.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    This isn't meaningless but it bugs me. So many new series start with a GRAND CONSPIRACY that will never be resolved.
    Got to agree. I've bypassed even starting a lot of shows simply because I don't want to get into some mystery that will never be resolved.

I think that's kind of what happened with X-files. The conspiracy-something involving an alien invasion and the syndicate trying to spare themselves from the worst of it if I remember correctly by working with them-just kind of kept getting retconned over and over again.

This has probaly already been said. But I hate when grounded realistic movies have people fly backwards through the air when they get shot. If it's an over the top silly movie. I'm cool with it but if your making a realistic movie you cant have a dude shoot a shotgun with no kickback but then have the guy he shoots fly through the air and out a window.

Another gun peeve: characters taking cover behind things like couches and actually having them stop the bullets. A couch would be about as effective as toilet paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    When characters talk on the phone, they don't say good-bye, they just hang up. Rude.
    lol, that is so common, even on good shows (hello sopranos!), i thought it was a typical us american behaviour
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    lol, that is so common, even on good shows (hello sopranos!), i thought it was a typical us american behaviour
    And another phone thing, when someone calls somebody, the person takes up the phone in a second. Almost every time...