Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Real-world scientists do still expect to find more islands of stability further up the periodic table.
    That just means they expect them to last 10 microseconds before decaying instead of 0.1 microsecond. It's not like they are going to exist long enough to build something out of them.

The effects of K on Kryptonians might have something to do with what makes them special under yellow stars in the first place.
    Perhaps. There is also no logical explanation why exposure to a red sun instantly saps them of their powers. It would seem they would retain their powers with but not be able to recharge. So their powers would gradually
    dissipate depending on how much they used them. Should have no more effect on them than being kept in the dark or during a solar eclipse.

Astonishing Member

I used to think the yellow weakness, red sun, yellow sun had to do with some chemical or physical reaction that is speeded up or slowed down by a specific wavelength such as photosynthesis (The best wavelengths of visible light for photosynthesis fall within the blue range (425–450 nm ) and red range (600–700 nm )).

Now for yellow - you would have to specify a wavelength - like 580 nm because yellow can be seen from one wavelength or a mixture of two (what looks red and green to us). Yellow is a neural effect and not a physical property of light.

Too much science - bad!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    People looking at, reading & discussing a clearly blank piece of paper always bugs me.
    This and something similar - someone supposedly washing a piece of clothing when there is obviously no water in the sink.

Retired

I always thought the yellow weakness is a psychological barrier. The intelligence inside the ring is stopping Hal or whoever from using the ring against his perception of yellow, but it could override that. The reason for the weakness is to have a safeguard against a GL going rogue. Of course, on different planets with different aliens, the weakness would have to be different, because not all aliens would be operating in the same spectrum as human beings--even creatures on Earth see light differently than we do. F Sharp Bell for sure would have to have a different weakness. But some arbitrary weakness is good--and just the thing that the Guardians would mandate--so that the GLs don't go full Manhunter.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    That just means they expect them to last 10 microseconds before decaying instead of 0.1 microsecond. It's not like they are going to exist long enough to build something out of them.
    No. Stability, as in practically no decay. Scientists do expect to find such elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Perhaps. There is also no logical explanation why exposure to a red sun instantly saps them of their powers. It would seem they would retain their powers with but not be able to recharge. So their powers would gradually
    dissipate depending on how much they used them. Should have no more effect on them than being kept in the dark or during a solar eclipse.
    It stops their ability to use their stored energy.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Retired

I never liked the idea that Superman's cells are solar batteries, because it makes him so alien from human beings--and yet he looks exactly like them. I prefer to think the Kryptonians are fully human, but they have something extra that gives them this power. Under the red sun, this power is turned off (but still exists inside them). And under a yellow sun, this power is turned on. That makes it simple and explains why the red sun turns on the power without getting into a lot of science that can easily be proven wrong. The more the comics try to use real science to explain the powers, the more they paint themselves into a corner. Just accept that there's some "magic" thing in Kryptonians that can be turned on or off.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    People looking at, reading & discussing a clearly blank piece of paper always bugs me.
    I'm always bothered by the clearly empty coffee cup that they want me to think isn't empty. (any cup or mug, but it's usually a coffee cup)

Astonishing Member

The problem with stored energy is that there isn't enough energy landing on a Kryptonian achieve anything like the power they put out. They would have to be a solar collector the size of Jupiter.

Fantastic Member

I've noticed this with slasher movies, especially in the Halloween franchise, when the antagonist kills someone in a way which should be very bloody and messy, but a couple of scenes later there's absolutely no trace of blood to be found, conveniently leaving the next potential victim completely unaware.

Both in movies, television, and comics: Writers who casually toss around "universe" and "galaxy" as they were the same damn thing.

I saw a Starfleet officer doing it in a Discovery episode a couple of days ago, and nearly threw one of my children through the screen (I don't have any available cats).

And don't get me started on how often frickin' Green Lantern writers mix them up.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    And don't get me started on how often frickin' Green Lantern writers mix them up.
    If you mean when they say OA is at the center of the universe...they aren't mixing that up with galaxy. Silly as it may be they mean universe.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Extraordinary Member

When characters sit around a table and will squeeze in together rather than have someone sit with their back to the camera. That drives me crazy.

"This is no good. All I got is backs. Okay. You all want to be in the picture, everyone get on the other side of the table."

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    Both in movies, television, and comics: Writers who casually toss around "universe" and "galaxy" as they were the same damn thing.

I saw a Starfleet officer doing it in a Discovery episode a couple of days ago, and nearly threw one of my children through the screen (I don't have any available cats).

The Fifth Doctor's first DOCTOR WHO episode does this too, taking them back to "Event one" (obviously the big bang) which is "the formation of the galaxy"....
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Thank you. Keeping characters masked must represent a risk in the eyes of actors and the studios. Personally I think the decision to keep a character masked makes them more mysterious, creates a needed separation between the identities and gives their unmasked time more weight.

The Raimi films took a more "masked all the time" approach. But they employed a little trick or two in still getting actors face time in the movies, by ripping up parts of Peter's mask pretty often. Well until Venom came along - Topher Grace must have really lobbied for that face time.

The Venom film did a much better job, iirc.

I'm noticing this a lot more on the posters too. Pretty much every MCU poster has the masked characters unmasked-Cap, Iron Man, Spidey etc. Although the first Iron Man poster managed to have it both ways by having both the armor and Tony in a business suit.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth