Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Meaningless Details That Bug You

I love Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. But it took me out of the story to hear there's a "Vulcan proverb" that "Only Nixon could go to China," and Klingons quoting Shakespeare.

I love Star Wars, but right from the start, when I saw it at 17, I wondered how the director could not decide whether the primary supporting character's name was pronounced "Han" or "Hahn."

What are the little details in TV and movies that are like fingernails on a chalkboard to you?

Probably annoys me the most in anime, but characters wearing the same damn clothes every day, it's just lazy.

Like I get it if it's a school uniform or something, but that's not the case in most shounen.

Props to One Piece for actually having characters at least change clothes every story arc.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Just saw Homecoming a few weeks ago and, talk about obsession with trivial details, it annoys me that when Adrian Toomes puts on the flight harness, all we see is the two shoulder pieces come down and then he's magically buckled in at the waist and upper legs and magically has the exo-skeleton on.

The Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish best served cold still annoys me since it's a Japanese proverb and it would make far more sense that Khan would know about it as a Japanese proverb.

Also, in the first Star Wars (New Hope), I would swear that, at times, Obi-Wan is saying "Garth", not "Darth".

Edit: Just watched a youtube video of some Homecoming scenes and it's clear that the exo-skeleton extends from the wings and attaches to him. So now I'm annoyed that my DVD copy doesn't show the picture with the clarity that the youtube video does.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 08-08-2019 at 08:56 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Something that bugged the crap out of me in Endgame was where did Rhodey get the Iron Patriot suit? He was drowning in the lower levels, his armor was destroyed, and the compound was blown to hell. It wasn't until someone one Reddit spotted the suit behind Ant-Man when he comes to in the rubble that I was able to rationalize in my mind that Scott used the shrinking disc to shrink the armor, grabbed it, and gave it to Rhodey when he saved them.

Astonishing Member

That Harvey Dent was a black man in Batman The Movie and in Batman Forever a white man. I always saw Batman Forever as the third part, so a direct continuation of the Batman films.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Just saw Homecoming a few weeks ago and, talk about obsession with trivial details, it annoys me that when Adrian Toomes puts on the flight harness, all we see is the two shoulder pieces come down and then he's magically buckled in at the waist and upper legs and magically has the exo-skeleton on.

The Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish best served cold still annoys me since it's a Japanese proverb and it would make far more sense that Khan would know about it as a Japanese proverb.

Also, in the first Star Wars (New Hope), I would swear that, at times, Obi-Wan is saying "Garth", not "Darth".

Edit: Just watched a youtube video of some Homecoming scenes and it's clear that the exo-skeleton extends from the wings and attaches to him. So now I'm annoyed that my DVD copy doesn't show the picture with the clarity that the youtube video does.
    Yeah, Khan's exposure to the twenty-third century was pretty limited beyond the Enterprise, Ceti Alpha V, and Reliant. Although I guess maybe Kirk might've left him with some reading material about Klingons, as we do see he has a small library in the cargo bays, or read it when he was combing through Enterprise's or Reliant's computers.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

The 2 Klingons in Star Trek 6 studied Earth culture to better understand their enemies. Both the chancellor and the general came to deeply respect human culture because they read Shakespeare first instead of Twilight. The chancellor decided that he wanted to make peace with that culture while the general came to see them as worthy opponents and grew more excited to fight them. I liked the depiction of Klingons as seeking to understand and growing to appreciate the cultures of their opponents. It made them seem much more intelligent than the TNG-era Klingons who were mostly just dumb brutes.

It's the scene where Scotty finds the bloody uniforms and the crew find the bodies of the traitors that bother me. In both cases no one was even looking for them and just stumbled on to them. By far the worst part of the movie.

In Star Trek 2, I don't care that a planet just randomly exploded. It's sci-fi and Krypton did it decades earlier. What bothers me is that no one on the Reliant noticed that an entire planet was missing despite Starfleet having mapped out that system back when the Enterprise first encountered Khan. And apparently Starfleet also doesn't warn any ships going to that system on missions to stay away from the one planet with the genetic super-tyrant. Way to make the Federation seem like a bunch of nincompoops who can't do anything without Kirk.

Avengers Endgame: I get that it's a hype moment, but the time so say 'Avengers Assemble' is not AFTER everyone has already assembled.

Dodgeball was on yesterday. And one of the teams is the Las Vegas Police Department. CSI has this too.

There is no such organization.

It's the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (and it is merged with the Sheriff's department). Also, everyone in Vegas calls them "Metro".

Ultimate Member

In Iron Man 3, Tony activates the 'blow up all my armors' protocol, while Rhodey is flying away with the President in his arms *wearing one of his suits.* Apparently Tony's AI is smart enough to have not blown that one up, too, but I would have chuckled a dark chuckle if we saw a distant explosion and Tony winced and said, "Oops..." (not just from killing the President and Rhodey, but also when he realizes that he's going to have to swim home, since he's now stuck on a burning oil rig, with no ride home, and possibly no more means to even call home to get a ride, since his earpiece alone might not have the signal range to reach Jarvis, on the mainland...)

In Big Hero 6, the various characters have just reached Fred's house, and are reacting to his trophy room full of monster costumes and superhero figures and fantasy artwork, and we hear first Wasabi react, and then a second voice off-screen that sounds just like Tadashi (who, spoiler, is not in this scene!) say "My brain hates my eyes for seeing this." The only other male in the room that could have spoken after Wasabi was Fred himself, who sounds nothing like Tadashi, and wouldn't make sense to be commenting *on his own decorations.* Bugs the crap out of me! (There's another bit where Gogo's voice comes from Honey Lemon, on the abandoned island, which makes me think that something changed in the artwork, and it was too late to get the voice actresses back.)
    Last edited by Sutekh; 08-09-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Also kind of weird that despite that, Tony's back to building armors right away in Avengers 2, although I kind of like how Civil War kind of offered an explanation for that.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The Jaden Smith Karate Kid learning Kung Fu instead of Karate bugged me a little.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Also kind of weird that despite that, Tony's back to building armors right away in Avengers 2, although I kind of like how Civil War kind of offered an explanation for that.
    Not really. While IM3's ending has often been interpreted as Tony giving up being Iron Man, that was never the case. Rather, Tony was giving up his obsessive need to try and solve every problem under the sun with a new and different suit RIGHT THIS SECOND. He'd buried himself in his work to escape the trauma of what happened at the end of the Avengers, and the fact that he was genuinely and understandably afraid after his experiences. Basically, he put the armor and his need for every possible version of it ahead of everything, including Pepper and living his life.

I mean, the whole theme of the movie is that it's Tony who is the hero, not the armor. He can't stop being Iron Man, he IS Iron Man. But he stopped his obsessive and trauma induced need to tinker that was cutting him off from his life and the people he loved.

"She has a very rare blood type and will die if she doesn't get a transfusion soon. It's type AB."

Well, isn't that lucky, since AB can get a transfusion from any blood type.

Retired

I like that Christopher Plummer and William Shatner--two Canadian thespians--are talking about Shakespeare in THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY--because they were onstage together at the Stratford Festival in their youth, performing Shakespeare. And the title of the movie is a famous Shakespeare quote. I don't bloody care if it breaks the fourth wall. I remember the movie mainly for that scene. As I recall they had to invent a Vulcan word for "to be" because it wasn't originally in the Vulcan vocabulary.

Any show or movie where the lead characters rack a round into a gun for dramatic effect. Cops and anyone who actually knows guns will carry a round in the chamber at all times. So all racking a round will do is eject the unspent round out of the chamber.

The gun won't go off if you drop it (another movie pet peeve). It won't accidentally misfire if your following proper finger off the trigger unless your going to fire safety. There is no danger in carrying a round in a chamber but there is extreme danger in not doing so in a real fight since if you need to fire then you need to fire NOW and not in two seconds after you've racked a round.