Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    In The Dark Knight, Two-Face realizes the nurse is the Joker after he takes off his surgical mask

Tarzan not having a beard

Wait not having a beard is the only thing about Tarzan that's fishy? Lol jk

Retired

I haven't seen the Disney version of Tarzan, but in the ERB books it's established that Tarzan shaves. He has a knife that he gets when he's still young and it's important for his suvival among the apes and he also uses the knife for shaving. That's one of the most fascnating things about Tarzan--how he sees himself in contrast to everyone else in the jungle and how he tries to fit in yet also tries to make himself look different from everyone else.

Marines being called or referred to as "Soldiers". That triggers Marines like few other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I haven't seen the Disney version of Tarzan, but in the ERB books it's established that Tarzan shaves. He has a knife that he gets when he's still young and it's important for his suvival among the apes and he also uses the knife for shaving. That's one of the most fascnating things about Tarzan--how he sees himself in contrast to everyone else in the jungle and how he tries to fit in yet also tries to make himself look different from everyone else.
    Great point, as you indicate Tarzan was able to compete for survival, using his intellect and also his father's hunting knife which he found in their cabin, which gave him a huge advantage. The knife is what ultimately allows Tarzan to defeat giant bull gorilla Bolgani, and earn his rank.

Frazzeta - http://bravenewworldscomics.com/wp-c...nd-bolgani.jpg

Boris Vallejo - http://www.badassoftheweek.com/tarzan.jpg

As you indicate, uses it to contrast himself, physically in strength and appearance, by shaving.

The Disney version, if you can handle the songs and the talking gorillas (just appreciate it's only Tarzan who understands them, it's through him that you are "understanding" them) if you can get around that. it's actually a pretty fun film.

They don't actually address the knife or shaving specifically, his aging mostly occurs through a montage, where they do show him learning to use tools, and sharpen blades.
    The montage ends with him coming to about the age where he'd be starting to shave, and the scene leads into him discovering his parents hut, and what he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUV0IikaAV0

He eventually emerges wearing his fathers suit. As this is a key direction change in the film he embraces what he is. You can assume from then on, he's shaving.

As to the Weissmuller and other depictions, they often had him with the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Wait not having a beard is the only thing about Tarzan that's fishy? Lol jk
    LOL people seem to forget Tarzan's U was full of lost fantastic civilizations and cities too, as far as anachronisms, to hone in on the shaving does seem meaningless (and appropriate to the theme of the thread LOL!).
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-23-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Using "Spiderman" when it should be "Spider-Man."
    Or spelling Catwoman's name as Selena instead of Selina.

Spectacular Member

Empaths reading emotions from communication screens when the actual person is nowhere close by (Looking at you, Deanna Troi).

Astonishing Member

Actually faces are pretty good indications of emotion. The signs have been pretty well worked out for the common emotions.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Actually faces are pretty good indications of emotion. The signs have been pretty well worked out for the common emotions.
    Yes but they're supposedly sensing the emotion not reading the physical cues.

Quote Originally Posted by anon_me View Post
    Empaths reading emotions from communication screens when the actual person is nowhere close by (Looking at you, Deanna Troi).
    Was it ever stated a person had to be close by for her to read them? I just assumed when she's reading someone from another ship her abilities reach that far, not that she's reading them through the screen.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Thor never saying "Ultron, we would have words with thee" once in Age of Ultron.

Momoa's Aquaman never saying "Outrageous."

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Said this on the Star Trek Movie Thread

Biggest one for me was Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

One scene that bothers the crap out of me to this day. WHY DIDN'T KIRK RAISE THE SHIELDS?! I read other forums stating, Kirk was out of practice or Khan's Line when he viewed Kirk as thinking the Federation as one big happy family. I still say BS. That scene made zero sense in my books. Everybody and their mother knew something was wrong. If Khan had some access code to disable the the Enterprise's Shields or a special weapon to do it, then I'd have zero problems. The rest of the movie was...impactful. When things were at its worst, Kirk showed his true leadership abilities (I really want to say Kirk is at his best when the heat is up), Spock's Sacrifice, the first time we saw the best Starfleet Uniforms.

But that one scene...Its like looking at a Ferrari and all I can notice is that big scratch on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Said this on the Star Trek Movie Thread

Biggest one for me was Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

One scene that bothers the crap out of me to this day. WHY DIDN'T KIRK RAISE THE SHIELDS?! I read other forums stating, Kirk was out of practice or Khan's Line when he viewed Kirk as thinking the Federation as one big happy family. I still say BS. That scene made zero sense in my books. Everybody and their mother knew something was wrong. If Khan had some access code to disable the the Enterprise's Shields or a special weapon to do it, then I'd have zero problems. The rest of the movie was...impactful. When things were at its worst, Kirk showed his true leadership abilities (I really want to say Kirk is at his best when the heat is up), Spock's Sacrifice, the first time we saw the best Starfleet Uniforms.

But that one scene...Its like looking at a Ferrari and all I can notice is that big scratch on it.
    Everybody and their mother knew it was wrong, but it wasn't that Kirk was out of practice (on the contrary), he even disregarded the warning signs from others. It was that he was too complacent and laid back. Only after this mistake did he start to take things more seriously. But it's a character flaw, not a movie flaw. Every hero has to confront their own weaknesses. His weakness was middle age complacency, and it got people killed. The movie has some strong themes about aging; the fact that they were up against an old foe who catches him by surprise, as well as his legacy (his son and the presence of Saavik), his talks with Bones about time; the major mistake with the shields is just part of that string. Heck, it could be argued that Spock wasn't killed by self-sacrifice, it's that it was the ultimate price to pay for Kirk's hubris much earlier in the film, since the first engagement is what set off the sequence of events that led to the battle in the nebula (had Kirk raised the shields, the Enterprise would be in far better shape for far more options). He could cheat the Kobayashi Maru, but he couldn't cheat age and the consequences of his choices.
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-26-2019 at 09:35 AM.

So are you first arguing there should be a physical presence for it to work?
    Then you argue why it's not necessary?

Yes but they're supposedly sensing the emotion not reading the physical cues.

So yeah, obvious she is picking up "sensing" something beyond just physical presence.
    And weather they are on-screen or not is irrelevant.
    How far and to what extent she can "reach out" seems a mater of focus and will. (and what the plot needs LOL!)

Last edited by Güicho; 08-26-2019 at 11:02 AM.

48 meters down uncaged. Girlfriend made me watch it with her and the Entire movie was meaningless..... and it bugged me

In general, when people get tattoos in movies and they can show them off that very night and it looks pristine with no puffiness or redness.
    Never had swelling or redness on my ink. It isn't until days later that it flakes and gets itchy that it shows redness (your mileage may vary). And it looked sharper the day it was done than after the top layer of skin rubbed off

Meanwhile...

- The vast majority of coffee/drinking cups that people are sipping/chugging from are empty (once I noticed this, I couldn't unsee it )

- When the movie directly contradicts itself. I can suspend disbelief/ignore the laws of physics with the best of them, but in The Abyss, for example, don't *tell* me that they have to wear special gear or else be squashed flat by the pressure and then have multiple characters swimming around without gear.

- When the clips from the trailer are later edited from the movie, so the scenes you expect to see never actually happen.

- Everyone leaving their home/apartment door unlocked. Worse, when all the hotel doors somehow allow people to enter without a key.