Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Retired

Computers with randomly blinking lights. Okay, in the 1960s when nobody knew anything, this could pass. But come on? Everybody has a computer now--how does this make any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Computers with randomly blinking lights. Okay, in the 1960s when nobody knew anything, this could pass. But come on? Everybody has a computer now--how does this make any sense?
    Relevant:

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    An oldie but goodie - The Waltons

It's strange how the show uses titles for the parents. John calls his parents 'Ma' and 'Pa'. Yet all seven kids refer to John and Olivia as 'Daddy' and 'Mama'. And the Narrator, who is John Boy as an adult calls them 'my Father' and 'my Mother'.

What's even more odd is that Olivia refers to her in-laws as 'Grandpa' and 'Grandma'. What did she call them before she had kids?
    Fwiw, I refer to my parents as mom and dad when talking to them but as grandpa and grandma to my kids, even if my parents are right there in the same room.

Its like how I call my wife by her name or a term of endearment when talking with her but call her mom when talking to my kids about her, even if she is in the same room.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Fwiw, I refer to my parents as mom and dad when talking to them but as grandpa and grandma to my kids, even if my parents are right there in the same room.

Its like how I call my wife by her name or a term of endearment when talking with her but call her mom when talking to my kids about her, even if she is in the same room.
    Yes, I think that's pretty common. I do the same, and friends of mine, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The thing that bugged me about the Wonder Woman TV series was that they had a CRT computer monitor for IRAC, but instead of showing text, the face of the monitor screen itself had randomly blinking lights.
    Yes, it was the 1970s, but even by then computer monitors were at least capable of text.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Relevant:

Funny thing is I think Star Trek II and Airplane II used some of the same props.

Edit: Yep.

https://imgur.com/gallery/nNSGn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--jcVJ5WcXA
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 10-30-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Person 1 holds a gun on someone.
    Person 2 pulls out their gun and points it at person 1
    ... and Person 1 just let's Person 2 do it!! Of course it's just so they can have a standoff and have a dramatic conversation, but unless they're drawing at the same time, how in the world does Person 1 not know Person 2 is pulling their gun out to shoot? They both just intrinsically understand that they're about to have a face-off??

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Person 1 holds a gun on someone.
    Person 2 pulls out their gun and points it at person 1
    ... and Person 1 just let's Person 2 do it!! Of course it's just so they can have a standoff and have a dramatic conversation, but unless they're drawing at the same time, how in the world does Person 1 not know Person 2 is pulling their gun out to shoot? They both just intrinsically understand that they're about to have a face-off??
    Especially if person 1 is a cop. In real life the cops start shooting even when they just think that person 2 is starting to pull a gun on them. They don't even have to wait to see if it really is a gun or not.

I don't know why, but the weird acting choice by pippin at 1:30 on always feels so strange. When he's like I get it, dont be hasty. It's so over the top and weird I wonder if it's from something else and spliced in.

Incredible Member

The Chris Pine, Star Trek. The Romulan ship was being devoured by the Black Hole. Why did Kirk hang around to shoot at it? It wasn't needed, the Romulan ship was toast anyway. By hanging around, The Enterprise got caught and took damage it didn't need too. Kirk should have been court marshalled for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Allan View Post
    The Chris Pine, Star Trek. The Romulan ship was being devoured by the Black Hole. Why did Kirk hang around to shoot at it? It wasn't needed, the Romulan ship was toast anyway. By hanging around, The Enterprise got caught and took damage it didn't need too. Kirk should have been court marshalled for that.
    Officially, it was so that if Nero relented and accepted Kirk's offer of rescue, the Enterprise would be within range to do so and, even with Nero saying no, such an offer would be a show of good faith to the Romulan Empire itself.

Now, whether or not that is satisfactorily explained or depicted by the movie itself, though, is a different matter. The Enterprise crew just killed a lot of Nero's crew in at least two boarding party engagements. Reconciling that with an offer of help (no matter how staged it was, and the implication was that Kirk knew Nero would turn him down) is pretty difficult. I like 09 but that moment doesn't seem very characteristic with *this* Kirk -- he's shown as brilliant and talented, but there's never a chance to show his politically savvy side to build that moment (whereas the intro to Beyond showed just that).

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Allan View Post
    There's also this fight that doesn't make sense. Kirk gets in to a fight at a bar and calls a guy cupcake. Then he goes to star fleet academy for 2 years and ends up on the enterprise where he runs into the guy who he fought earlier, who calls him cupcake. It's been 2 years and he's been that angry and held on to the name for that long? Really? And they look the same too.

https://youtu.be/riwV8h88vh4

In Disney's Treasure Planet and Pixar's Coco, they gave one of the main character a facial mole. Why? These are animated characters, why give them something that most people pay to get removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Banner View Post
    In Disney's Treasure Planet and Pixar's Coco, they gave one of the main character a facial mole. Why? These are animated characters, why give them something that most people pay to get removed?
    Never underestimate the influence or reach of the secret underground Mole Council...

Big open areas in spaceships. Seems a very bad use of resources.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!