Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

More and more, shows and movies use phone texts as plot devices. Problem is they sometimes show it for so short a period that you can't read it, or they have that white text on bright green bubbles that is impossible to read. I usually have had to pause or go back at home many times to read what is going on. At the theater, I am out of luck.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

If someone doesn't say good-bye, how do you know the phone conversation has ended? I imagine the person at the other end being confused and wondering what just happened.

Astonishing Member

Movies with an inconclusive ending so they are setting up a sequel. Not a problem if the base material is from a well known longer story like LoTR, but some nothing story that end on a cliff hanger.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I hate it when characters discard food so easily. They could be in a restaurant, carrying groceries or whatever, they will always discard whatever food they have when something happens. This kind of waste grinds my gears IRL and I hate seeing it in movies and TV.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Movies with an inconclusive ending so they are setting up a sequel. Not a problem if the base material is from a well known longer story like LoTR, but some nothing story that end on a cliff hanger.
    although that's not a meaningless detail and more of a cliche... I agree. it's particularly tedious if it's done in some sort of ham-fisted way in a horror movie. it seems like two out of three horror movies are written in hopes of getting a sequel... and the ideas just aren't that interesting!

one of my big pet peeves was watching "Flyboys" in the theater (yes, I love WWI airplanes that much)... but when they started talking about how the German fighters had 9mm machine guns I just laughed. NOBODY has ever used 9mm machine guns! okay, yes, I mean the Italians did experimentally mount the Villar Perosa double-barrelled 9mm submachine guns on some of their two-seaters to defend against fighter... but the muzzle velocity was too low and it just couldn't knock aircraft down as well as a single rifle-caliber machine gun.

it's not quite nose bone into the brain ridiculous... but it's still egregiously misinformed and terrible for... people who have been reading about fighter aircraft for over 20 years.

Astonishing Member

I hear you and bow to anyone who actually knows about that gun! Here's a weapons complaint. In some of the monster movies like Pacific Rim and the execrable American Godzilla, the guns from the planes incorrect. F-22s are shown with wing guns and the Apaches similarly have incorrectly mounted guns. Also, the idea that planes and helicopters get so close as to get swatted is ridiculous. Same in Kong on Skull island, worst helicopter pilots ever.

I hear you and bow to anyone who actually knows about that gun! Here's a weapons complaint. In some of the monster movies like Pacific Rim and the execrable American Godzilla, the guns from the planes incorrect. F-22s are shown with wing guns and the Apaches similarly have incorrectly mounted guns. Also, the idea that planes and helicopters get so close as to get swatted is ridiculous. Same in Kong on Skull island, worst helicopter pilots ever.
    The Kong issue was more they didnt expect Kong to be there and were panicing.

Mighty Member

LOL... but helicopters can... hover in position and make the monster run for cover OR force them to get closer to make an attack while they hose him down with cannon fire... WTF. and 30 mm autocannons should easily be able to hurt Kong... since the guy is not armor plated (last I checked). Godzilla being immune to cannon fire makes a lot more sense... since he's the size of a giant building and covered in thick scales.

even in the original King Kong those rifle-caliber machine guns could probably reach him from 400 yards away... they could always break away when they get within 200 yards and still have plenty of time to turn away while Kong's only means of retaliation would be to try and throw things at them... not even Kong could jump 150 yards, right? and if he does, he'll just fall to his death, right?

I mean, the original is a classic, and all... but Kong has a lot of PIS working in his favor. at least with Godzilla he had atomic breath and could pick things off at long range... and Shin Godzilla... well, there's no shame in getting shot down by THAT monster!

Astonishing Member

Against Zilla, competent Apache pilots with a load of Hellfires, would have flown above it's reach and guided the missiles into it. Since we know that the missiles from an FA-18 could kill it, it would have ended the movie earlier.

Stupid science also bugs me. The examples are more from the books.

1. I see a Marvel Avengers 1000000BC. Well, there weren't people like us then. We came around 250K years ago. So lower level hominids? Huh?
    2. Center of the Universe - there isn't one.
    3. Life started on Earth - no.
    4. The GL color spectrum - if you know visual science and color, it is ridiculous.

Back to movies, in Independence Day 2, the mother ship lands and it big enough to cover the enter Atlantic. It takes off with no noticeable propulsion effects. Being that large doesn't destablize our orbit, rotation, etc.
    Last edited by Captain Smith; 08-19-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Retired

It's starting to get on my nerves how many times the same music is used in countless movies and TV shows. The constant use of "Born To Be Wild" or the Mozart Requiem, for example. It's bad enough when it's music you hate, but it's even worse when it's music you like yet it's used so often that it becomes generic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I hate it when characters discard food so easily. They could be in a restaurant, carrying groceries or whatever, they will always discard whatever food they have when something happens. This kind of waste grinds my gears IRL and I hate seeing it in movies and TV.
    Always in cop movies. They order a coffee or fries or whatever and then something happens. Food and coffee stays on the table. Or two characters order food, talk and after two bites the character shoves the plate aside and stops eating. Mostly with fast food...

Cars that explode into a huge fireball soon after catching fire. I sort of got into watching YouTube videos of real cars on fire and the fire department coming and putting them out. Sometimes the video would last several minutes
    with the car entirely engulfed in flames. The tires would explode but it was just sort of a bang with no real damage or increase in flames. Even the gas tank exploding was just kind of a pop with the gasoline just leaking out
    afterwards and running down the street. None ever erupted into a huge fireball. It was just a relatively slow process with more and more of the car involved, depending on how long it took the fire department to get there
    and start pouring water on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Cars that explode into a huge fireball soon after catching fire. I sort of got into watching YouTube videos of real cars on fire and the fire department coming and putting them out. Sometimes the video would last several minutes
    with the car entirely engulfed in flames. The tires would explode but it was just sort of a bang with no real damage or increase in flames. Even the gas tank exploding was just kind of a pop with the gasoline just leaking out
    afterwards and running down the street. None ever erupted into a huge fireball. It was just a relatively slow process with more and more of the car involved, depending on how long it took the fire department to get there
    and start pouring water on the car.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKQ-U-rnLdo

Mighty Member

LOL. that's a nice video clip there Cyke! I'll always have a soft spot for Black Dymamite vs Chicago Wind, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq6qBb8Vr1w

the only thing funnier than what happens to Chicago Wind's car at the end is how... even though he's looking backwards and talking to Black Dynamite (who obviously can't hear him!) he's still making every turn perfectly right before the final "cliffhanger" ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    LOL. that's a nice video clip there Cyke! I'll always have a soft spot for Black Dymamite vs Chicago Wind, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq6qBb8Vr1w

the only thing funnier than what happens to Chicago Wind's car at the end is how... even though he's looking backwards and talking to Black Dynamite (who obviously can't hear him!) he's still making every turn perfectly right before the final "cliffhanger" ending.
    I so love that it's a totally different car in the end