Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 281
  1. #196
    MYTH SMITH ∞ !!! G. Boney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Maybe the child went to live with the father.
    Not sure how that would explain away Dorothy forgetting she had a third child, lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Yeah, or an estranged child to both parents, w. issues about being the bastard child.
    So estranged that both parents are pretending the kid doesn't exist? Not impossible I suppose, but not probable for an 80s sitcom.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

  2. #197
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    It’s funny how Parsons’ character as a child is so dang short.
    When I was in junior high there was this twerpy little kid. Skinny and kind of short. The kind other kids would tend to bully. Then he must have hit puberty during the summer because when we came back
    he was huge. Not just tall but muscular, like it was a whole different kid. The rest of us were like WTF? Needless to say no one picked on him after that.

    Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Not sure how that would explain away Dorothy forgetting she had a third child, lol.
    So estranged that both parents are pretending the kid doesn't exist? Not impossible I suppose, but not probable for an 80s sitcom.
    Richie Cunningham forgot all about having an older brother on Happy Days. Donna Pinciotti forgot all about having a younger sister on That 70's Show. And only a year or so had passed
    in those cases. Never even mentioned either in later seasons. So I guess it would be easy to forgot having a child years before in Dorothy's case.

  3. #198
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,188

    Default

    I hate when people are talking to someone on the phone and you don't hear what the person on the other end is saying so the actor just repeats it.

    "You say you had a flat tire? You say you're going to be late getting here?"

  4. #199
    Incredible Member Mr Cochese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    790

    Default

    It still bothers me when there’s a shockwave from an explosion in space. The clue is in the word space.

  5. #200
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,456

    Default

    Why British actors have such bad teeth. It's one thing if they're playing a character that would have bad teeth, but in a normal leading role, I never understand why a good British actor, making a good living, can't afford to have better teeth.

    Conversely, I suppose, it's just as bad in period movies when people have such good teeth, when they would never have had those teeth back in those times.
    You can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train,
    So I'd best be on my way in the early morning rain.

  6. #201
    MYTH SMITH ∞ !!! G. Boney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Richie Cunningham forgot all about having an older brother on Happy Days. Donna Pinciotti forgot all about having a younger sister on That 70's Show. And only a year or so had passed
    in those cases. Never even mentioned either in later seasons. So I guess it would be easy to forgot having a child years before in Dorothy's case.
    And don't forget the youngest daughter on Family Matters, heh. The difference being that all those characters actually made on-screen appearance(s). This "third child of Dorothy" has been made up in this thread. Clearly the writers on Golden Girls screwed up when it came to the ages of Dorothy's kids, since she only ever had two.
    Last edited by G. Boney; 09-30-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

  7. #202
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,456

    Default

    When ALL MY CHILDREN debuted in 1970, Dr. Joe Martin had another son named Bobby. One day Bobby went up into the attic to get some skis and was never heard from again. Years later, Opal was locked in the attic and there was a skeleton there wearing a ski cap that said "Bobby."

    Speaking of kid actors that went through amazing transformations as they grew up, Anthony Michael Hall started out as the little nerd in VACATION, THE BREAKFAST CLUB, SIXTEEN CANDLES and WEIRD SCIENCE and then became the big, tough kid in JOHNNY BE GOOD and EDWARD SCISSORHANDS. Then there's Jerry O'Connell who was the fat kid in STAND BY ME, but grew up to become a leading man and to marry a super-model.
    You can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train,
    So I'd best be on my way in the early morning rain.

  8. #203
    Fantastic Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Not sure how that would explain away Dorothy forgetting she had a third child, lol.



    So estranged that both parents are pretending the kid doesn't exist? Not impossible I suppose, but not probable for an 80s sitcom.
    Ha, true. That’s more 90s!

  9. #204
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,456

    Default

    I don't smoke, so I don't know if smokers can hear their cigarettes crackle when they light up. But even if they do, I've hung around a lot of smoker and never heard a crackle when they light their cigarettes, so it's not that audible. Yet in movies and TV shows, it's become fashionable to have the cigarette crackle when it's lit. This bugs me. And now it's so ubiquitous that people just accept it. Is this supposed to make cigarette smoking sexy? And that's another thing--why do we still get a lot of imagery of smoking as if it's attractive--is there a big smoking lobby in Hollywood that's trying to get people hooked on smokes?
    You can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train,
    So I'd best be on my way in the early morning rain.

  10. #205
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't smoke, so I don't know if smokers can hear their cigarettes crackle when they light up. But even if they do, I've hung around a lot of smoker and never heard a crackle when they light their cigarettes, so it's not that audible. Yet in movies and TV shows, it's become fashionable to have the cigarette crackle when it's lit. This bugs me. And now it's so ubiquitous that people just accept it. Is this supposed to make cigarette smoking sexy? And that's another thing--why do we still get a lot of imagery of smoking as if it's attractive--is there a big smoking lobby in Hollywood that's trying to get people hooked on smokes?
    They do crackle sometimes. Most of the times they do not, I don't know why that is...

    I think they don't smoke enough in movies. In reality there are always smokers, and in modern movies you just don't see them anymore, that's unrealistic. Everyone drinks alcohol but no one smokes anymore, come on! Maybe its an American thing, because smoking is kind of a thing you just don't do in public anymore...? In Europe its pretty common to smoke a cigarette everywhere (not inside anymore)

    I dont want to defend smoking, just saying that I don't see smokers in movies anymore...

  11. #206
    Fantastic Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    452

    Default

    Yeah, I agree w. the lack of smoking being unrealistic.
    It shouldn’t be glamorized or anything, but, it IS something that happens.

  12. #207
    Astonishing Member Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,639

    Default

    Smoking is awful, but it does look cool!

  13. #208
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    They do crackle sometimes. Most of the times they do not, I don't know why that is...

    I think they don't smoke enough in movies. In reality there are always smokers, and in modern movies you just don't see them anymore, that's unrealistic. Everyone drinks alcohol but no one smokes anymore, come on! Maybe its an American thing, because smoking is kind of a thing you just don't do in public anymore...? In Europe its pretty common to smoke a cigarette everywhere (not inside anymore)

    I dont want to defend smoking, just saying that I don't see smokers in movies anymore...
    Smoking is discouraged in the US. Smoking has been banned in many places, government buildings, hospitals, businesses. Even bars and restaurants. In some places you aren't even allowed to smoke outside in public
    or in at the least within a certain amount of feet in front of a business. So for movies and TV shows taking place in the modern United States it is realistic to show people not smoking because it isn't allowed in real life here.
    People are still allowed to smoke in their homes, but as the trend is to not show people smoking, even that is avoided.

  14. #209
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,183

    Default

    Operating without a face mask. Saw Dr. Strange doing that in the beginning of the movie, IIRC.

  15. #210
    MYTH SMITH ∞ !!! G. Boney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't smoke, so I don't know if smokers can hear their cigarettes crackle when they light up. But even if they do, I've hung around a lot of smoker and never heard a crackle when they light their cigarettes, so it's not that audible. Yet in movies and TV shows, it's become fashionable to have the cigarette crackle when it's lit. This bugs me. And now it's so ubiquitous that people just accept it. Is this supposed to make cigarette smoking sexy? And that's another thing--why do we still get a lot of imagery of smoking as if it's attractive--is there a big smoking lobby in Hollywood that's trying to get people hooked on smokes?
    Showing people smoking doesn't necessarily mean the filmmakers are saying it's attractive. It's something people do. And films show things people...y'know...do.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •