Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Hanging from one hand. Most people wouldn't last 5 seconds. And falling and catching a ledge with one hand, no way, unless you are an Olympic gymnist. The pulling a person up with one hand, sure, if you can curl 150 lbs at the gym.
    Agree with all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I agree. I've watched that movie numerous times and always liked it (I mean, The Young And The Restless' Victor Newman as the bad guy is so fun).

But the premise of the film is ridiculous. While the apes had evolved, they were still very primitive. There's no way they could've raised that ship, repaired it, and had the skills to operate it in space.
    Repairing the ship and figuring out the controls, I can buy. Dr. Milo may have been smart enough to figure it out. But that still doesn't explain what they used to fuel the ship to propel it through the atmosphere and achieve escape velocity.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    In the film Home Alone, Macaulay Culkin dialed 911 from his own house and called the cops to come to a neighbor's house. Don't the filmmakers know that 911 operators can trace the phone calls, especially in cases when the caller does not have time to give the home address to the operator?
    That's one I never thought of in Home Alone. Others:

1. Kevin is 8 in Home Alone, in Home Alone 2, which is a year later, Kevin is 10

2. After booby trapping the house for the bad guys, and knowing they will be there at 9 pm, Kevin makes his Mac and Cheese dinner at 8:57, and then lights candles, pours a glass of milk, and sits down to eat it at like 8:59.

3. It is cold enough at night to ice down the sidewalk and steps so the bad guys fall, yet the next morning when Mom gets there, the sidewalk isn't icy at all.

4. The old man tells Kevin in Church that he hasn't spoke to his son in years. Its like 7 p.m. on Christmas Eve. Kevin tells him to call his son. On Christmas morning, his son and family show up with gifts. Where did they shop at - a gas station for some 5W30 and some donuts?

5. Kevin basically destroys the house, yet gets it all cleaned up perfectly with the exception of Harry's gold tooth and Buzz's room?

6. Kevin's mom barters for tickets, yells at airport personnel, and rides all night in the back of a Ryder truck with a polka band, just to arrive home 3 minutes sooner than she would of if she waited to take the early flight the rest of the clan took.
    Last edited by chachi; 03-03-2020 at 09:11 PM.

Retired

555 phone numbers take me out of the movie or TV show. It's like, at that moment, the characters turn to the camera and say none of this is real. I have a hard time getting back to suspending my disbelief. They should find another way of obscuring the full phone number. Nowadays, people don't even say their phone number most of the time--and I wonder if people remember it even (there are times when I give the wrong number by accident because I'm spacing on what it actually is)--it shouldn't be hard to write the scene differently so the number doesn't have to be spoken or displayed.

Boisterously Confused

Running. Now some of you might be runners. But for the average person, when was the last time you ran full out for a block or two. You get gassed very quickly. But on Cop shows and movies, you have cops chasing some junkie skel full out for blocks and blocks. People can't run that far unless they train for it.
    Good one. Not only are you gassed at the end of 100m at full tilt (if you can maintain full tilt the whole way), you are in no shape to go all Bruce Lee on your prey.

Extraordinary Member

Back before cell phones and everyone used land phones, most people had a phone in the living room, bedroom, and maybe the kitchen.

But on tv and movies, people would have phones wherever they were - the hallway, the patio, the dining room, the nursery(!), etc...

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Back before cell phones and everyone used land phones, most people had a phone in the living room, bedroom, and maybe the kitchen.

But on tv and movies, people would have phones wherever they were - the hallway, the patio, the dining room, the nursery(!), etc...
    Everybody in American movies and TV shows is wealthy. Even the poor people, judging by their standard of living on screen, are well off. It gives people in other countries an unrealistic image of the USA.

It annoys me that so many of the commercials represent an income level that I could never attain. Who is their market? Why do I get so many ads for how to improve my business and run my office? It seems like they only want to sell products to the type of people who have so much money they're not likely to be sat in front of the tube eating Kraft Dinner.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Everybody in American movies and TV shows is wealthy. Even the poor people, judging by their standard of living on screen, are well off. It gives people in other countries an unrealistic image of the USA.

It annoys me that so many of the commercials represent an income level that I could never attain. Who is their market? Why do I get so many ads for how to improve my business and run my office? It seems like they only want to sell products to the type of people who have so much money they're not likely to be sat in front of the tube eating Kraft Dinner.
    Completely agree with this.

No drug is effective unless you can ride a bike after you take it. (Drug commercials)
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

No drug is effective unless you can ride a bike after you take it. (Drug commercials)
    rofl - I never noticed this, but very true. Hilarious.

Hanging from one hand. Most people wouldn't last 5 seconds. And falling and catching a ledge with one hand, no way, unless you are an Olympic gymnist. The pulling a person up with one hand, sure, if you can curl 150 lbs at the gym.
    True. It doesn't bug me all that much but it does give people a completely wrong idea about what most human being would do in that situation, which is to fall lol.

Ah well, i guess one could say that movie heroes aren't most human beings.

Another thing. People who are trained fighters, but out of the game for years. No matter how long they have been inactive, they automatically are still a killing machines without peer. Anybody who has seen sports figures comeback after a long injury or a retirement know that it takes a lot of work to get back any skill level.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Another goofy thing about Nemesis is the picture of young Picard being Tom Hardy, but complete with the baldness as well(!) I know that they were trying to show off the whole Shinzon is a clone thing, and yes, Patrick Stewart has been bald since his teens, but various other flashbacks and other things have had Picard with hair. So I guess he just went through a phrase during his academy days to just shave his hair off....
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Another thing. People who are trained fighters, but out of the game for years. No matter how long they have been inactive, they automatically are still a killing machines without peer. Anybody who has seen sports figures comeback after a long injury or a retirement know that it takes a lot of work to get back any skill level.
    Floyd Mayweather jr can retire for a couple years and come back and beat just about anyone I'm sure. George Foreman came back as an old man and was dropping dudes. GSP came back after retirement and took out Michale Bisping. McGregor took a long break and KO'd Cowboy in seconds. Mayweather and GSP train everyday like they arent retired but the point is it happens. Tyson fury made a huge comeback after retiring , doing truck loads of Coke and weighing over 400lbs. Other then Mayweather none of these people are without peers but there are only killing machines without peers in movies anyway.

Pretty much all depictions of guns, gun fights and bullet wounds in almost every regard.

Outer space being depicted with giant brightly coloured gas clouds and great dazzling swirling clusters.

All the cast are gorgeous.

Everyone is especially dumb to make the slueth appear smarter.

Character has a menial job until 2 episodes after being brought into the heroes confidence and now runs their state of the art, highly complex, technical and scientific base of operations without any apparent training.