Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I like that Christopher Plummer and William Shatner--two Canadian thespians--are talking about Shakespeare in THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY--because they were onstage together at the Stratford Festival in their youth, performing Shakespeare. And the title of the movie is a famous Shakespeare quote. I don't bloody care if it breaks the fourth wall. I remember the movie mainly for that scene. As I recall they had to invent a Vulcan word for "to be" because it wasn't originally in the Vulcan vocabulary.

Funny thing is, "Undiscovered country" was one of the original titles for II: Mainly because of Spock's death, which is what Shakespeare originally meant. It was then recycled when Meyer returned, and given a new meaning in the film: "The future".

(I think in some of the film's adaptations Spock refers to the original meaning in the dialogue).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Funny thing is, "Undiscovered country" was one of the original titles for II: Mainly because of Spock's death, which is what Shakespeare originally meant. It was then recycled when Meyer returned, and given a new meaning in the film: "The future".

(I think in some of the film's adaptations Spock refers to the original meaning in the dialogue).
    Another interesting Canadian-Shakespearean-Klingon factoid is that John Colicos--the first actor to play a Klingon, as Kor--also performed Shakespeare on the Stratford stage in Ontario, like fellow Canucks Shatner and Plummer, but years after them (in 1963). Colicos would return as Kor in DS9.

Extraordinary Member

I find that Trek is often at its best when the characters are directly quoting literature. Khan had the title character quoting Moby Dick for much of his dialogue and Kirk quoting Dickens to bookend the film. Undiscovered Country had its Shakespeare. First Contact had Picard quoting Moby Dick again - not handled as well as Khan, but still effective. It may seem lazy to some, but I think it works really well in both making the characters larger than life and grounding them at the same time. Shatner and Stewart both being Shakespearean actors doesn't hurt either.

This was probably just the poster looking at Miller's features and assuming he's of Asian extraction. And technically, he probably is. Israel is part of Asia--not Africa as you might think--and Miller is Jewish, so likely can trace his family tree back to Israel.
    And technically Europe is part of the Asian continent, so his Dutch heritage is essentially Asian too.

Astonishing Member

Most every alien on Star Trek has a weird forehead. Sure there were a lizard, blob and furry in some episodes but most were putty on the noggin.

PSA - the gun analysis was mostly correct. If the contrarian wants to claim that isn't the case, be specific. Chambered carry is the common usage. Israeli carry was a special case and used only for untrained folks or liability concerns. No quality trainer recommends it. Most modern handguns are drop safe. There are occasional screw ups in design that are corrected or the gun pulled off the market.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Most every alien on Star Trek has a weird forehead. Sure there were a lizard, blob and furry in some episodes but most were putty on the noggin.

PSA - the gun analysis was mostly correct. If the contrarian wants to claim that isn't the case, be specific. Chambered carry is the common usage. Israeli carry was a special case and used only for untrained folks or liability concerns. No quality trainer recommends it. Most modern handguns are drop safe. There are occasional screw ups in design that are corrected or the gun pulled off the market.
    Just fyi, a dropped gun discharged in the Sheriff's office bathroom in my own town. It's not supposed to happen, but it's not uncommon.

Two little things that happen all the time in tv/film that bug me:
    -- When people agree to meet without saying when and/or where.
    -- When people order food and never eat it.

In Star Trek Generations. Kirk encounters the Guinan's people's refugee ships who had been attacked by the Borg. But the Federation didn't know about the Borg until Picard's time. Such a glaring error, which should have been caught, and easily rewritten.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

With all the Trek, a very specific one occurred to me.

There's an episode of The Big Bang Theory where Sheldon is looking to move to the safest place in the US. He determines it is Bozeman, Montana.

And no one registers or mentions that that's where first contact takes place in the Trek universe.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    In Star Trek Generations. Kirk encounters the Guinan's people's refugee ships who had been attacked by the Borg. But the Federation didn't know about the Borg until Picard's time. Such a glaring error, which should have been caught, and easily rewritten.
    Or maybe "First Contact" rewrote the past so that the Federation actually was aware before Picard's time.

More of a pet peeve, but I get taken out of a movie whenever an expert refers to the "time-space continuum." Even Tony Stark did that in Endgame.

Except the official, actual term is "spacetime continnuum." It's the term used in physics and mathematical models. Calling it time-space is akin to saying "BookFace."

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Something that bugged the crap out of me in Endgame was where did Rhodey get the Iron Patriot suit? He was drowning in the lower levels, his armor was destroyed, and the compound was blown to hell. It wasn't until someone one Reddit spotted the suit behind Ant-Man when he comes to in the rubble that I was able to rationalize in my mind that Scott used the shrinking disc to shrink the armor, grabbed it, and gave it to Rhodey when he saved them.
    I was just thinking about that the other day, too. I'll have to rewatch it again to see the suit behind Ant-Man, but even donning it as fast as he did in the situation he was in has to be very, very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    That Harvey Dent was a black man in Batman The Movie and in Batman Forever a white man. I always saw Batman Forever as the third part, so a direct continuation of the Batman films.
    That's some acid, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    In Iron Man 3, Tony activates the 'blow up all my armors' protocol, while Rhodey is flying away with the President in his arms *wearing one of his suits.* Apparently Tony's AI is smart enough to have not blown that one up, too, but I would have chuckled a dark chuckle if we saw a distant explosion and Tony winced and said, "Oops..." (not just from killing the President and Rhodey, but also when he realizes that he's going to have to swim home, since he's now stuck on a burning oil rig, with no ride home, and possibly no more means to even call home to get a ride, since his earpiece alone might not have the signal range to reach Jarvis, on the mainland...)
    HAH! I never thought of that, and now I'll be citing that upon each rewatch from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Any show or movie where the lead characters rack a round into a gun for dramatic effect. Cops and anyone who actually knows guns will carry a round in the chamber at all times. So all racking a round will do is eject the unspent round out of the chamber.
    Well, since there really is so much Star Trek, I remember DS9's "Past Tense," where the crew travels back to the Bell Riots of the 21st century and all resources, including ammo, are scarce. But of course, the locals have to emphasize their tough-guy points by caulking their shotguns after each sentence.

This was probably just the poster looking at Miller's features and assuming he's of Asian extraction. And technically, he probably is. Israel is part of Asia--not Africa as you might think--and Miller is Jewish, so likely can trace his family tree back to Israel.
    Off topic, and not really relevant to anything, but Miller's pretty big on representational politics, which is cool and all. His Jewish heritage and his gender identity are at the forefront. But as far as I recall, he's never claimed any link to Asian heritage or tried to audition for specifically Asian roles. That's all to say that, I feel like if he considered himself Asian, he would've claimed so by now.

Regardless and back on point in response to the other poster, I don't think anyone ever interpreted DCEU Barry as Asian.
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-12-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Didn't they encounter the Borg in Enterprise though?

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Didn't they encounter the Borg in Enterprise though?
    It was classified by Starfleet because the threat was so horrific.

But IRL it was so that first contact in TNG's Q Who could be maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I love Star Wars, but right from the start, when I saw it at 17, I wondered how the director could not decide whether the primary supporting character's name was pronounced "Han" or "Hahn."
    Eh, to me that's just people with different accents pronouncing it they way they do. Like how people pronounce 'Mario' in different ways. Some people say the first syllable like Mars minus the s. Some people say it like it was a female horse...mare.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    But you were fine with Val Kilmer being Batman instead of Michael Keaton?
    Not sure how that's the same thing. Kilmer and Keaton are both white guys.

Been a long time since I watched that movie. Are the Borg mentioned? If not then just because they encountered those refugees doesn't mean they knew who attacked them.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

The plants in Justice League’s farm scene.

I honestly can’t even explain it but they bug me far more than they should.