Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    You know, the continuity of the Bond movies before Craig is a bit weird due to all the changing actors.

It's not quite as bad going from 1962-1986, as one can pretty much accept since Connery and Moore are roughly the same age, and Moore kept Connery (and Lazenby's) supporting cast, including the similarly aging Lois Maxwell as Moneypenny.

However then you have Dalton and he looks significantly younger, but also Moneypenny, while Q is still the same.

What's even weirder is that tecnically Bond in Die Another Day should be in his mid 70's, but instead just looks like he's in his forties.

Then there's Felix who is all over the place. He somehow ages like 25 years between Living Daylights to License to Kill (I know it's mainly because they got David Hedison back, but it's still a bit off putting).

I don't consider Dench staying on as M that much of a problem; she seems to play the role a bit differently in Craig's films than in Brosnan's. It's kind of funny that in Goldeneye she consider's Bonds methods and attitudes out-of-date; when in Skyfall that's the same criticism others seem to have of her.
    This goes back to why many believe that they should have made it movie canon that the name "James Bond" was just a code name they gave along with 007. Now all the actor changes and such make sense as they literally aren't the same James Bond. It also opens the door for the future if you want to make Idris Elba or someone like that the new Bond.

Its part of the reason I HATED Skyfall, besides it being nonsensical, since it established he was born James Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Hmm. Seems to me he moves as fast as the normal sized heroes. I think expecting him to swing 40 foot legs with the same relative speed as 3 foot legs is asking a bit much. That puts him in super speed territory. And it would just look weird in comparison to to the other characters on screen at the same time.
    My whole thing with him as Giant Man, especially in Endgame, is he's shown running with the other heroes. No way he doesn't step on the others are at least trip and fall trying to avoid doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    This goes back to why many believe that they should have made it movie canon that the name "James Bond" was just a code name they gave along with 007. Now all the actor changes and such make sense as they literally aren't the same James Bond. It also opens the door for the future if you want to make Idris Elba or someone like that the new Bond.

Its part of the reason I HATED Skyfall, besides it being nonsensical, since it established he was born James Bond.

The main problem with that is the 1962-2002 continuity, while loose, still makes attempts to connect the films. While OHMSS starts of course with the "Other fella" joke, it's title sequence features a number of clips from the Connery movies; likewise, there's a scene where Bond is combing through his desk with some of the memorabilia (and theme music) from the Connery films. Operation Bedlam also seems to be in direct response to the events in You Only Live Twice.

The death of his wife in the same movie is also referenced in For Your Eyes Only, and more subtly in Licence to Kill and The World Is Not Enough. Bond's single-minded pursuit of Blofeld (Which seems, according to dialogue later on, to be partially off the record) In Diamonds Are Forever might be implied to be the same. Some of the gadget scenes also feature occasional callbacks to the other films.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post

007 is his codename. He always had one.

I enjoy James Bond, but my wife is even a bigger Bond fan than I am. We were watching Dalton's second outing a week ago and I said; "I think Bond was written in the early 1950's, perhaps they should reboot him back there." Her reply was; "yes, but he should continue on from there retiring as a double 00 in the late 1970's." We thought Bond as a modern figure should have stopped at the end of Roger Moore's run and then flipped back in time to 1952 with Timothy Dalton and hopefully they could resist the urge to inject modern PC mores into the time period or at least failing that, we wouldn't have to hear about him being a misogynistic dinosaur.

Detail that bugs me; when bad guys are beaten down by a lucky swing from someone running away, usually a woman, and instead of using the opportunity to finish them off, they run off again allowing the bad guy to recover. Just once I'd love to see someone fleeing for their life on foot to turn the tables and take out the villain.

BANNED

Uhhhh...just gonna point out that there is no continuity in the James Bond films, nor was there ever intended to be. The odd reference to previous stories was intended to provide backstory, not continuity.

Astonishing Member

This is totally irrelevant to genre but when Andrea Mitchell on Meet the Press has absolutely no idea what she is talking about.

As far as finishing moves, Courtney Cox did that well in Scream 1.

AoS was terrible on that. Daisy should have shot Ward into the ground but let him live through stupid shooting technique for a trained agent. Go to gun school. In the same vein, head shots, head shots, head shots. Stop shooting monsters that probably don't have human circulation in just the chest.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    Detail that bugs me; when bad guys are beaten down by a lucky swing from someone running away, usually a woman, and instead of using the opportunity to finish them off, they run off again allowing the bad guy to recover. Just once I'd love to see someone fleeing for their life on foot to turn the tables and take out the villain.
    Yes! I want to see the wide-eyed runner-away give a shocked look like, "I can't believe that worked!" and then smile and go back to kicking the snot out of the fallen bad-guy, rather than use their temporary reprieve to just go back to running away.

But a pet peeve there is when the person diffidently goes to poke the fallen bad-guy to make sure they are dead, only to get ganked, because, *of course he isn't.* Gah. Poke him from farther away! With a gun! (Or run him over with a car, or something. Don't get within arm's reach of the mad slasher-villain, no matter how unconscious he looks!)

Uhhhh...just gonna point out that there is no continuity in the James Bond films, nor was there ever intended to be. The odd reference to previous stories was intended to provide backstory, not continuity.
    I assume you're excluding the Daniel Craig movies.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Won't someone please think of the redshirts!?

But yeah. The metaphorical redshirts throughout film and television, often unceremoniously killed off, are rarely acknowledged for it. Main characters? They get a booboo and everyone fawns over them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Won't someone please think of the redshirts!?

But yeah. The metaphorical redshirts throughout film and television, often unceremoniously killed off, are rarely acknowledged for it. Main characters? They get a booboo and everyone fawns over them.
    Like in real life...cannon fodder dies in war, everyone shrugges off. Movie celebrity dies, everyone cries

BANNED

VISION (speaking of Mjolnir): This is terribly well-balanced.

Find it hard to accept that an AI that advanced would use such an obvious contradiction of terms.

Astonishing Member

VISION (speaking of Mjolnir): This is terribly well-balanced.

Find it hard to accept that an AI that advanced would use such an obvious contradiction of terms.
    He learned to speak like a human, because that makes him more "one of us".

Retired

Hearing how people say "Mjölnir" always bugs me. Not that I say it right myself, but the way they say it doesn't sound good to my ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Hearing how people say "Mjölnir" always bugs me. Not that I say it right myself, but the way they say it doesn't sound good to my ear.
    I can say it right now but for the longest time i was Kat Dennings just saying gibberish.

I hate when People say Dormmamu Dor-mam-moo. Or Thanos as
    Thane-os