Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    he's dating a lawyer and businesswoman.
    He kisses Janice while she's in her super-villain costume. Randy isn't dating Janice Lincoln the corporate lawyer whose double-life he doesn't know about, he's dating a super-villain knowingly.

Astonishing Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    He kisses Janice while she's in her super-villain costume. Randy isn't dating Janice Lincoln the corporate lawyer whose double-life he doesn't know about, he's dating a super-villain knowingly.
    Now that just seems out of character for him as a whole.

EDIT: Please tell me Spencer isn’t going for a Romeo and Juliet angle Randy and Janice. I just remembered that that both their fathers are archenemies.
    Last edited by PCN24454; 08-14-2019 at 11:48 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    EDIT: Please tell me Spencer isn’t going for a Romeo and Juliet angle Randy and Janice. I just remembered that that both their fathers are archenemies.
    It will be a Spencer take, full of dark humor, wit, and meta-jokes.

I kind of think Spencer had this in the back of his mind, in the sense of either "could do it if I get a chance" or "this might be something a later writer can make good use of" when he made Janice Tombstone's daughter. Obviously Robbie Robertson and his son Randy were established characters, now you have Tombstone who's revealed to have had a daughter around the same age. Tombstone remember wasn't an especially known villain then and if he was known it was for Conway's original stories where he was Randy's enemy. So Spencer had to have suspected that eventually this could tie into something with Lonnie. It's also great because Peter and Randy are like brothers and Joe Robertson has long been like a father to Peter. Especially when Spencer showed Peter spending thanksgiving with Robbie and Randy. So a lot of interesting drama there.

That was something Spencer did in Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Lady Beetle was created by Ed Brubaker in 2007 in his run on Captain America but Spencer was the one who created her name, and her backstory. So he's basically for Janice what Miller was for Kingpin. So this is like a long-term pay-off on seeds Spencer planted in Superior Foes.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 08-14-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Yeah, that...does seem a bit much for Randy.

Like, it would be one thing for him dating Janice in her civilian identity since I don't think it's ever been clear whether she's publically known as a Supervillain, but knowing full well who she is?

I guess he probably doesn't know who her dad is, unless he's dating her partially to screw with Tombstone.

But hey, at least this will probably make the Robertsons relevant again .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But hey, at least this will probably make the Robertsons relevant again .
    The Robertsons have always been relevant since Robbie Robertson helped Spider-Man track Norman's warehouse after Gwen died. Joe "Robbie" Robertson played a major part in decommissioning Norman Osborn and exiling him to Europe.

The Robertsons have always been relevant since Robbie Robertson helped Spider-Man track Norman's warehouse after Gwen died. Joe "Robbie" Robertson played a major part in decommissioning Norman Osborn and exiling him to Europe.
    Honestly, it feels like the last time Robbie had any real relevant role was during BND, and mostly just been background support since, and since the start of Spencer's run, Randy's most relevant role was acting as the guy to get in the way of Phil Urich's crush. So I do hope this pairing is setting up for some kind of confrontation with Robbie and Tombstone in the future, because it'd be great to see another story with him at the front again.

Also, I can't even remember when the last time Tombstone has had his own relevant role in a story, besides popping up in random books as a side character here and there. I do think Spectacular Spider-Man is what helped alot with his popularity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    So I do hope this pairing is setting up for some kind of confrontation with Robbie and Tombstone in the future, because it'd be great to see another story with him at the front again.
    I think we are definitely going to get that now. Will be surprised if Spencer doesn't take this there. The drama and stakes are just too good to pass.

Also, I can't even remember when the last time Tombstone has had his own relevant role in a story, besides popping up in random books as a side character here and there. I do think Spectacular Spider-Man is what helped alot with his popularity.
    Tombstone showed up in Spectacular Foes of Spider-Man (where he's established as a bigger deal than Hammerhead) and he also showed up in...surprise surprise...Gerry Conway's Spiral. He was also mentioned in passing as one of the major crimelords in that Madripoor secret society in Fraction's Hawkeye series.

Spectacular Spider-Man gave Lonnie some prominence, but he also had a strong showing in the PS4 game. A lot of casual gamers (i.e. not Spider-Man fans) said his boss-fight and overall interaction with Spider-Man was the best, and it's seen as a high point in that.

These aren't very recent stories, so they don't address the current relevance of the characters.

Granted, this is a promising set-up.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I hope Janice & Randy's relationship mirrors Tombstone & Robbie's...

https://i2.wp.com/berkeleyplaceblog....57.jpeg?w=1280

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Honestly, it feels like the last time Robbie had any real relevant role was during BND, and mostly just been background support since, and since the start of Spencer's run, Randy's most relevant role was acting as the guy to get in the way of Phil Urich's crush. So I do hope this pairing is setting up for some kind of confrontation with Robbie and Tombstone in the future, because it'd be great to see another story with him at the front again.
    One of the biggest disservices of the franchise as of late has been how they've treated the Robertsons family, both in-and-out of comics.
    I think we are definitely going to get that now. Will be surprised if Spencer doesn't take this there. The drama and stakes are just too good to pass.
    To be honest it's what I'd been hoping they'd do with Janice as Beetle since we found out she was Tombstone's daughter.
    Tombstone showed up in Spectacular Foes of Spider-Man (where he's established as a bigger deal than Hammerhead) and he also showed up in...surprise surprise...Gerry Conway's Spiral. He was also mentioned in passing as one of the major crimelords in that Madripoor secret society in Fraction's Hawkeye series.
    I think Spiral was the last time he was shown fighting Peter.
    Spectacular Spider-Man gave Lonnie some prominence, but he also had a strong showing in the PS4 game. A lot of casual gamers (i.e. not Spider-Man fans) said his boss-fight and overall interaction with Spider-Man was the best, and it's seen as a high point in that.
    Don't forget about his animated debut in the 90's cartoon, where he had two major episodes involving his grudge with the Robertsons family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    I hope Janice & Randy's relationship mirrors Tombstone & Robbie's...

https://i2.wp.com/berkeleyplaceblog....57.jpeg?w=1280
    I hope she calls him "Straight Arrow" at one point .

Wow! Wasn’t expecting the Randy Janis thing. Another solid issue. Want to see where Spencer takes this. Glad to see Janis getting some prime time billing. Fred is great. Hope he sticks around for awhile. ASM is my number one pull right now. Slightly ahead of Immortal Hulk.

hahahaha last issue I joked about Randy hooking up with Trapstr because she wasn't in the last panels, well I was close but way off at the same time.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Wow! Wasn’t expecting the Randy Janis thing. Another solid issue. Want to see where Spencer takes this. Glad to see Janis getting some prime time billing. Fred is great. Hope he sticks around for awhile. ASM is my number one pull right now. Slightly ahead of Immortal Hulk.
    both are crazy good though
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    the lamest member of this team keeps getting the best lines

LOL, yeah these lines were funny.... so much hilarious content in this issue. Really enjoyed it as a nice change of pace.

This was a fun romp, wonder if after their master plan falls apart they will remain together or not.