Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Would cinema benefit if Star Wars failed?

So, there's some mumbling that The Star Wars franchise is in trouble, failing to connect with segments of its existing fans, but more seriously, failing to create new fans. Is that a bad thing?

There are those who think Hollywood has become too reliant on the familiar brand blockbuster. Some even think that Lucas original epic steered Hollywood down a bad path in the first place, as compelling story begin fall prey to special effects, and tie-in merchandising.

Should Disney's Star Wars gamble fail, might this make studios think twice about what they need to provide an audience?

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

It's really only the big tent-pole franchises that are keeping the cinema industry healthy nowadays. People just aren't going to the cinema as often as they used to. It would be interesting from a creative standpoint to see the major studios have to adopt a new approach to try and get bums back on seats without having to rely on these franchises though definitely.

Star Wars kinda died for me the second that Disney bought it to be honest. I've always accepted that it's been a license to print money for whoever's owned the franchise but when the beneficiaries of this became Disney then my attitude changed. I don't like giving Disney money so my Star Wars fandom pretty much died immediately. This predates any of the new generation of movies (they hadn't even been produced at the time) and, subsequently, the 'identity politics' issue that Disney era SW has been accused of promoting. It's not related to any of that. I just don't like The Walt Disney Company.

Out of the four movies produced so far I've seen just two of them. There was a huge gulf between the critical consensus of these movies and my own opinion, which was that they were merely okay. The reviled 'The Last Jedi'? Never seen it and not bothered in the slightest. I much preferred what is now called the 'Legends' continuity.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 08-09-2019 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    So, there's some mumbling that The Star Wars franchise is in trouble, failing to connect with segments of its existing fans, but more seriously, failing to create new fans. Is that a bad thing?

There are those who think Hollywood has become too reliant on the familiar brand blockbuster. Some even think that Lucas original epic steered Hollywood down a bad path in the first place, as compelling story begin fall prey to special effects, and tie-in merchandising.

Should Disney's Star Wars gamble fail, might this make studios think twice about what they need to provide an audience?
    Disney is definitly invested in SW's future but since this happened and I know this meme is used to death but it fits

https://images.app.goo.gl/hmM1ESXiTfkfU13G6

I just don't see any SW film underperforming being the same issue it would had been a few years ago IMO.

Audiences have already made peace that ROTJ was the ending to star wars films story. I don't think they have any investment in what happens now. If it fails it hurts only Disney not the fans.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 08-09-2019 at 05:54 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Audiences have already made peace that ROTJ was the ending to star wars films story. I don't think they have any investment in what happens now. If it fails it hurts only Disney not the fans.
    If that were the case, people wouldn’t make posts complaining about the situation.

Its a big sci fi franchise, they've existed and died before.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    If that were the case, people wouldn’t make posts complaining about the situation.
    Their complaining is more about reminding others that we don't really need anymore star wars films.

Apart from the Disney+ TV shows they're actually taking a three year break after Rise of Skywalker before the new mystery trilogy from the GOT guys.

Although a clear trailer has not been released, Mandalorian does look pretty promising.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

There were a lot of fans who were pretty invested in the post-ROTJ continuity novels for a while (Which has a somewhat happier future for the heroes, although of course things eventually turn bad again a few times). Some elements of the old EU have even made it into some of the new stuff-Thrawn of course being the biggest example, although with his story flipped to the other side of the OT's timeline.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Their complaining is more about reminding others that we don't really need anymore star wars films.
    We don’t really need any more of any one “kind” of film.

And most of the complaining I’ve read is definitely not with an “at peace” undertone. Lol

Ultimate Member

The thing is, Disney (IMHO) should have bridged the old trilogy to the new one without entirely removing the original characters off the board.

People love Star Wars because of the universe AND the characters. Taking the originals off the board in a somewhat inelegant fashion doesn't necessarily endear people to whatever it is Disney is doing with the franchise.

Contrast with Marvel and how people have fallen in love with the characters (which has in turn fueled its success) and you can see where Disney might have missed the boat somewhat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The thing is, Disney (IMHO) should have bridged the old trilogy to the new one without entirely removing the original characters off the board.

People love Star Wars because of the universe AND the characters. Taking the originals off the board in a somewhat inelegant fashion doesn't necessarily endear people to whatever it is Disney is doing with the franchise.

Contrast with Marvel and how people have fallen in love with the characters (which has in turn fueled its success) and you can see where Disney might have missed the boat somewhat.
    Didn’t they only take one character off the board?

Luke is an unknown.
    Leia...well, thats nobody’s fault, and possibly something Disney had to alter plans because of.
    Solo = dead.

Who else might you be talking about?

I don't know. Star Wars going away isn't going to usher in another early 70s film scene.

Also, if continuing to milk Star Wars alienated people from the franchise - rather than just the new installments - that's not good for movies. The original trilogy - or at least the original movie - is a huge moment in film history. It's like sucking the value out of Cassablanca or The Wizard of Oz. I can't see how that would be good for movies.

BANNED

I thinks it's hard to make a credible case that cinema will benefit if part of cinema fails. It's a question you could ask of all sorts of things. Did superhero movies benefit from DC superhero movies failing?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Didn’t they only take one character off the board?

Luke is an unknown.
    Leia...well, thats nobody’s fault, and possibly something Disney had to alter plans because of.
    Solo = dead.

Who else might you be talking about?
    Luke is dead.

Hamill pretty much confirmed this some time back. https://screenrant.com/last-jedi-luk...e-mark-hamill/

So that's two of the original three gone. And with Fisher's untimely death, that's pretty much it for them.

I would have loved to have seen the original 3 reconcile at a certain point during the new trilogy. And I honestly don't feel death should always be the end of the hero's journey.