Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fantastic Member

Thank you' great to know explanation pending. Awfully long time though to let these points roll along in the narrative without explanation. Is it a precedent? Afraid I'm stuck with 'King' as the collector in me (curse him) insists I must complete, but have been doing so digitally, so hopefully sales come along' some of the collector trades aren't worth shelling out top buck for. Just hoping all wrapped-up with issue #85 then I'm not going anywhere near a 'King' title. I do like the concept he has spun with 'Batman' but to me, the problem is he has spent so long' stretching the narrative out. For example, the 'Knightmare' segment. In my opinion, thought it was all going exceedingly well, but 'slow' then we hit issue #50 and...oh dear. It was not even the non-marriage that did it for me, just felt that the narrative started to merendered, plod, plod, plod. Lost all forward momentum. His story should had been condensed. He has been curtailed 15-20 issues, can you imagine his story running to that original length. Hopefully the shortened run, will help focus his writing? To me, it seems to have picked-up with 'City of Bane.' Now if I can get some explanations sooner rather than later, I'll be more content with the whole storyline. Does that make sense?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    Thank you' great to know explanation pending. Awfully long time though to let these points roll along in the narrative without explanation. Is it a precedent? Afraid I'm stuck with 'King' as the collector in me (curse him) insists I must complete, but have been doing so digitally, so hopefully sales come along' some of the collector trades aren't worth shelling out top buck for. Just hoping all wrapped-up with issue #85 then I'm not going anywhere near a 'King' title. I do like the concept he has spun with 'Batman' but to me, the problem is he has spent so long' stretching the narrative out. For example, the 'Knightmare' segment. In my opinion, thought it was all going exceedingly well, but 'slow' then we hit issue #50 and...oh dear. It was not even the non-marriage that did it for me, just felt that the narrative started to merendered, plod, plod, plod. Lost all forward momentum. His story should had been condensed. He has been curtailed 15-20 issues, can you imagine his story running to that original length. Hopefully the shortened run, will help focus his writing? To me, it seems to have picked-up with 'City of Bane.' Now if I can get some explanations sooner rather than later, I'll be more content with the whole storyline. Does that make sense?
    The delays on Doomsday Clock are the likely culprit on the lateness in delivering any answers on the return of Superman and Batman's dad's, but I can understand the frustration a lot of readers have. It is what it is. Given how well received Doomsday Clock has been, I can also understand why DC Editorial isn't insisting on fill-in artists.

I honestly haven't let it bother me, for stories and characters from writers that I like what they're doing.

It'll get explained or it won't eventually, but the mechanics of how the universe operates can take a backseat for a while as the drama and emotions between characters plays out. It's a mystery for the moment and I'm just accepting that the characters are there and having fun with it.

The challenges and perils and intrigues of a shared universe with a lot of characters, creators, and business people weighing in, making decisions, and producing storytelling and art. To a degree it's always going to be imperfect in its execution to varying degrees. Add to that AT&T's and Time Warner's merger and it's a perfect storm of changes and challenges to get this accomplished - which is a reality if you've ever worked in corporate environments.

Naomi seems to be handling it best by telling a first season and then taking a break. It gives a chance to catch up or hit pause or make changes as necessary. Not that it's an option for all books, as DC Comics needs to keep creating and making money.

Anyway, fan and geek's minds are powerfully creative and can rectify continuity as necessary in their own imaginations.

As a Wonder Woman fan, I know this firsthand.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Anyway, fan and geek's minds are powerfully creative and can rectify continuity as necessary in their own imaginations.
    This is how I generally approach it as well. There will never be a concrete concept of "canon" in patchwork continuities created on the fly over the course of more than eight decades for wildly different audiences by creators with conflicting ideas operating under different editorial priorities.

I appreciate when creators like Roy Thomas, Kurt Busiek, and Geoff Johns can spin old continuity into gold for new stories, but managing to keep everything straight while still telling an entertaining story is a difficult task.

Even when dealing with the events taking place in the comics right now, it's gotta be tricky for creators to sort out who's where and at what time, particularly with popular characters like Batman, who appears in so many comics a month, there's simply no way to make it all fit in a way that allows good stories to be told.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    It'll get explained or it won't eventually, but the mechanics of how the universe operates can take a backseat for a while as the drama and emotions between characters plays out. It's a mystery for the moment and I'm just accepting that the characters are there and having fun with it.

The challenges and perils and intrigues of a shared universe with a lot of characters, creators, and business people weighing in, making decisions, and producing storytelling and art. To a degree it's always going to be imperfect in its execution to varying degrees. Add to that AT&T's and Time Warner's merger and it's a perfect storm of changes and challenges to get this accomplished - which is a reality if you've ever worked in corporate environments.

Naomi seems to be handling it best by telling a first season and then taking a break. It gives a chance to catch up or hit pause or make changes as necessary. Not that it's an option for all books, as DC Comics needs to keep creating and making money.

In a series, waiting for the explanation is the right thing to do, but people's interest and attention... different for each person... can disappear if they take too long... and if the series is done but there's still no explanation we shouldn't have to do that last one.

Corporate interference... I guess that's just something that reader needs to be aware of if they want to enjoy this but... customers are also not required to "get" things, especially since this is entertainment. It's weird if a book you pick up for recreation comes with a warning that there's that kind of corporate problem behind the scene. That's not the readers' business. If that problem is really that bad it affects readers enjoyment then they need to settle that first.

Of course, there's no incentive to fix the corporate problem when they still get money, when people are still buying the products.