Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: July 2019 sells

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    excited to read them on unlimited, the namor and cap ones in #1 were solid
    There's a good story where Cap tries to solve segregation, but only makes things worse. It was written by the team from March (except Rep. Lewis of course).

BANNED

I wonder what the percentage breakdown is for physical/digital is these days.

Well, both HoX and PoX did better than Morrisson's first issue (144,835) and that month's Uncanny X-Men (136,081) as well as X-Treme X-Men 1 (135,219), and Ultimate X-Men 1 (117,085).
    And those were back in 2001, so yeah, I'd say that, for 2019, this is an amazing X-relaunch.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    155 Marvel Comics Presents 6 13,073

glad my somewhat petty hatred for random anthology books murdered a series
    That was June. The second print in July:

143 Marvel Comics Presents 6 16,217

Which I suppose is still laughable.

edit to add: laughable in that it outsold the original order.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I know you expected this to do what Whedon pulled on Astonishing X-men but 185K is pretty damn good in 2019
    Oh, the numbers absolutely indicate that the X-Office has a success on their hands. But this wasn't just another relaunch. This was supposed to be monumental. This was Marvel saying they were going to stop treating the X-Men like the unwanted plus one at the family reunion. This was "Look, we've got Hickman AND the movie rights back and now everything is different forever!" So the book not cracking 200K on first pass in the DM was a bit of a surprise. But like folks have been saying, the reorders will probably more than make up the difference.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 08-12-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Last uncanny relaunch did 176k on 1st print

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Last uncanny relaunch did 176k on 1st print
    That relaunch had more than a year after the previous one, this one had a few months, fans and retailers could have been burned out of the relaunches.

I dropped the previous Uncanny after issue 4 (picked again when cyclops and wolvie came back but that felt like a mini relaunch) and i don't think it was very popular here, Hickman has been pretty interesting on just three issues so I suppose he will have more legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Oh, the numbers absolutely indicate that the X-Office has a success on their hands. But this wasn't just another relaunch. This was supposed to be monumental. This was Marvel saying they were going to stop treating the X-Men like the unwanted plus one at the family reunion. This was "Look, we've got Hickman AND the movie rights back and now everything is different forever!" So the book not cracking 200K on first pass in the DM was a bit of a surprise. But like folks have been saying, the reorders will probably more than make up the difference.
    The X-line hasnt pulled those numbers in almost 15 years when they had a more high profile writer and sales overall more much better. Expecting this to do as well or better seemed like a pipedream. I think it did damn good in spite of everything against it

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

this is good news for the franchise. I'm hoping the quality of the writing continues for a very long time.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The X-line hasnt pulled those numbers in almost 15 years when they had a more high profile writer and sales overall more much better. Expecting this to do as well or better seemed like a pipedream. I think it did damn good in spite of everything against it
    Agreed. The market is just much different these days and a lot more difficult. Not just in comics, but everywhere. Some of the manga I read, i LOVED. But when it came time for an anime adaptation they don't run longer than a maxi comic series, and I hear these days it's rare they do the long-running stuff like Naruto & Bleach anymore.

I think HOX +POX look great so far. But we'll have to see if it maintains great, or if it'll have a big drop somewhere.

BANNED

Bendis and Wood's relaunches did similar numbers. That was earlier this decade.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Agreed. The market is just much different these days and a lot more difficult. Not just in comics, but everywhere. Some of the manga I read, i LOVED. But when it came time for an anime adaptation they don't run longer than a maxi comic series, and I hear these days it's rare they do the long-running stuff like Naruto & Bleach anymore.

I think HOX +POX look great so far. But we'll have to see if it maintains great, or if it'll have a big drop somewhere.

That's more due to a quality thing.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    That relaunch had more than a year after the previous one, this one had a few months, fans and retailers could have been burned out of the relaunches.

I dropped the previous Uncanny after issue 4 (picked again when cyclops and wolvie came back but that felt like a mini relaunch) and i don't think it was very popular here, Hickman has been pretty interesting on just three issues so I suppose he will have more legs.
    Like I said, retailers at BC reported store owners saying they were afraid of overorder because they have been burned out before by X-men relaunches. Which is yet another reason why Disassembled, AoXM and cancelling the entire line was just stupid. 3 issues in, makes even less sense. Should have just continued Red, Blue and AXM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Bendis and Wood's relaunches did similar numbers. That was earlier this decade.
    we were talking about Whedon and his numbers were higher 15 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Like I said, retailers at BC reported store owners saying they were afraid of overorder because they have been burned out before by X-men relaunches. Which is yet another reason why Disassembled, AoXM and cancelling the entire line was just stupid. 3 issues in, makes even less sense. Should have just continued Red, Blue and AXM.
    Don't entirely agree with this bit. I think if we still had a slate of ongoing X-Men titles running up to or concurrent with HoX/PoX, it would have given even more of a sense that this was just another relaunch, business as usual. I do kind of wish Red had been allowed to dovetail into HoX/PoX, just because I think there could have been some drama between Jean's approach to a mutant haven and Xavier's. Even seeing Jean's approach fail could have been of interest given what was coming. But that probably wouldn't have worked with Hickman's story structure.