Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39

Thread: July 2019 sales

  1. #16
    Astonishing Member cranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    So the monthly sale chart is going to be almost useless. Since every book with a cardstock cover (which was quite a few of their main titles) is going to have their sales split between the two.
    Someone (like BC) will probably do the math, but yes, the usefulness of the sales chart will be lessened, although it can be argued it barely serves any use as is (due to constant relaunches and spikes due to variants).

  2. #17
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Usually it's just Spider-Man for Marvel though with the occasional book making it into the top 10 thanks to a new #1 or heavy variants.

    I mean, other then X-Men and Spider-Man none of their other flagship titles are up there. Just Hulk and Black Cat (who again benefits from variants).
    I think the Immortal Hulk book selling so well just shows the effort they invested into that book. And Marvel is making incredible progress in turning X-Men around imo even if it is too soon to tell. Sure the Avengers franchise needs some work. But I think they are on a better footing compared to DC where it's like Batman is pulling all the weight there and the Justice League and Green Lantern/Superman can't seem to crack the top 10.

  3. #18
    Astonishing Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    2,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Too much Batman. It seems DC has failed to branch out and develop their other properties.

    Marvel has at least some variety with their top 5. But DC top sellers being all Batman books signals some internal deficiency within their organization.
    It's more the readership fault here : the Wonder Comics are excellent, Action Comics is also awesome, Event Leviathan is set to be great and books such as Deathstroke have been consistently great since Rebirth started. That's without taking into account the New Age of Heroes which was never endorsed by the bulk of DC's readership.

    It's flat out wrong to say that DC isn't trying to branch out. They do. Readers don't buy those books, however.

  4. #19
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    42,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I think the Immortal Hulk book selling so well just shows the effort they invested into that book. And Marvel is making incredible progress in turning X-Men around imo even if it is too soon to tell. Sure the Avengers franchise needs some work. But I think they are on a better footing compared to DC where it's like Batman is pulling all the weight there and the Justice League and Green Lantern/Superman can't seem to crack the top 10.
    Let's be honest though, if they relaunched those books they probably would be in the top 10 like they have in the past in those situations.

    Immortal Hulk is probably one of the biggest surprises of the current industry but I also think it's an outlier.

  5. #20
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    17,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    So the monthly sale chart is going to be almost useless. Since every book with a cardstock cover (which was quite a few of their main titles) is going to have their sales split between the two.
    So just add up the numbers and we can work out the true chart. If one version sells 65k and the other 20k, that would be 85k, for example.

  6. #21
    Mighty Member 9th.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Batgod strikes again
    Reading list: Miles Morales: Spider-Man (Marvel), Ironheart (Marvel), Champions (Marvel), Jessica Jones: Purple Daughter (Marvel), Runaways (Marvel), Young Justice (DC), Naomi (DC), Justice League Odyssey (DC), My Hero Academia (VIZ), Bitter Root (Image), Quincredible (Lionforge), Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot (BOOM!)

  7. #22
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It's more the readership fault here : the Wonder Comics are excellent, Action Comics is also awesome, Event Leviathan is set to be great and books such as Deathstroke have been consistently great since Rebirth started. That's without taking into account the New Age of Heroes which was never endorsed by the bulk of DC's readership.

    It's flat out wrong to say that DC isn't trying to branch out. They do. Readers don't buy those books, however.
    If you don't talk about those other books you can't blame folks for ignoring them.

    If I go to a comic book store and see promo posters for Riri Williams, Image's Excellence, Ahoy Comics and Marvel books via IDW-don't get shocked if I buy those more than the books DC won't talk about.

    Outside of here and Bleeding Cool, Newsrama and a few Twitter posts-I have heard nothing about the Wonder Comics, Young Animal or even Bendis's books (Not named Superman).

    You can say Dc is branching out but it's still an issue if only Batman is the leader. That speaks more volumes about your product than ANYTHING.

    Why are folks not touching your other books?
    What is being done with Miles Morales that EVERY issue of his book has to get a new printing?
    What was special about Wrong Earth that caused it to increase in readership every issue?
    We hear all this about Naomi but it's still Moon Girl & Riri & SHuri's world.
    What have YOU done to tick off your fandom? Oh that's right Heroes in Crisis, delays in Doomsday Clock, Vertigo's demise and the crapping on so many fan favorites.
    And lets not forget TRADES where Marvel (among others) are killing DC especially among KIDS & TEENS. Where Batman does not even SNIFF their interest and nostalgia got them as well.

    And not getting Hickman is coming to haunt them because interest in X-Men is GROWING. Because folks are hearing about the one thing Hickman set in stone-NO NEW FOLKS. You will use who we have. That mean fan favorites (not linked to Bendis) are game. Maybe Dc needs to try that.

  8. #23

    Default

    We now have the sales data for July 2019:

    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-07.html

    Comichron has combined sales for titles that were split due to multiple price points. This includes Batman 75 as well as any comic with a Year of the Villain cardstock variant.

    However, Comichron ALSO noted the individual sales for each cover.


    Batman 75 all covers combined sold 100,161 copies -- a jump of over 20,000 copies from preceding issues. Combined Sales put Batman 75 into the Top 10 at number 7 on Comichron's "Fused" chart. Separately, Batman 75 regular cover sold about 70k, while the other 30k was from the cardstock cover.

    Immortal Hulk lands in the Top 10 once again with issue 20 and 83k copies sold, but IHulk 21 falls all the way down to 23rd place with 54k sold. I guess issue 21 did not have any variants or not the ones where you have to order a crazy amount of the regular cover?

  9. #24
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    42,635

    Default

    Man, variants skew things so much, even though I guess they also give books a by forcing shops to order them, but that doesn't sound ideal...

  10. #25
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's kind of ironic that Batman spinoffs make the top 10 instead of the main Batman book.
    A very entertaining spin-off with Joker's disembodied head commentating Batman's adventure, an interesting Luthor-Superman bet about human's hope vs skepticism, and Dick Grayson making a return in DC comic landscape that's starving for him, though that last one probably only make the sale after it got spoiled on the internet. Oh and Snyder.

    Super not surprised it takes the top spot.

  11. #26
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,539

    Default

    Wow Batman #74 dropped below 80K.

    Im wondering if City of Bane will gee the sales up again (I'm not really counting that anniversery issue) or if it will dropp even lower.

  12. #27
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,206

    Default

    Justice League Dark is hovering just above 20,000 copies. How much longer do you think this series will last?

  13. #28
    Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Too much batman as usual, But even batman series sales is dropping now, DC really has to do something developing other characters
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

  14. #29
    Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If you don't talk about those other books you can't blame folks for ignoring them.

    If I go to a comic book store and see promo posters for Riri Williams, Image's Excellence, Ahoy Comics and Marvel books via IDW-don't get shocked if I buy those more than the books DC won't talk about.

    Outside of here and Bleeding Cool, Newsrama and a few Twitter posts-I have heard nothing about the Wonder Comics, Young Animal or even Bendis's books (Not named Superman).

    You can say Dc is branching out but it's still an issue if only Batman is the leader. That speaks more volumes about your product than ANYTHING.

    Why are folks not touching your other books?
    What is being done with Miles Morales that EVERY issue of his book has to get a new printing?
    What was special about Wrong Earth that caused it to increase in readership every issue?
    We hear all this about Naomi but it's still Moon Girl & Riri & SHuri's world.
    What have YOU done to tick off your fandom? Oh that's right Heroes in Crisis, delays in Doomsday Clock, Vertigo's demise and the crapping on so many fan favorites.
    And lets not forget TRADES where Marvel (among others) are killing DC especially among KIDS & TEENS. Where Batman does not even SNIFF their interest and nostalgia got them as well.

    And not getting Hickman is coming to haunt them because interest in X-Men is GROWING. Because folks are hearing about the one thing Hickman set in stone-NO NEW FOLKS. You will use who we have. That mean fan favorites (not linked to Bendis) are game. Maybe Dc needs to try that.
    Idem
    Comics sales not only related to they stories quality, But also have many different factors to affecting sales
    DC just too focusing on batman
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

  15. #30
    Astonishing Member HandofPrometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It's more the readership fault here : the Wonder Comics are excellent, Action Comics is also awesome, Event Leviathan is set to be great and books such as Deathstroke have been consistently great since Rebirth started. That's without taking into account the New Age of Heroes which was never endorsed by the bulk of DC's readership.

    It's flat out wrong to say that DC isn't trying to branch out. They do. Readers don't buy those books, however.
    Judging from the sales of New age of Heroes, nobody was interested in them. DC was trying to sell characters to a fanbase that wanted their favorites back first. And those favorites are still missing. Until then the fanbase will be picky and unhappy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •