Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

First ten years of the Simpsons is probably the best comedic storytelling our species will ever know.

Parks and Rec, The Office deserve some love too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    How has The Honeymooners gone unmentioned?
    Actually, I just mentioned it in the post above yours.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The thing is the classic HONEYMOONERS was only on for one season, mind you that was 39 episodes (a season was a lot longer back then). Maybe only being on for one year allowed them to have a higher quality.

When I was a kid, our family watched THE JACKIE GLEASON SHOW from sunny Miami Beach (as they always touted). And on that program the Honeymooners was a segment with Shiela MacRae as Alice and Jane Kean as Trixie. My parents always talked about the actors on the TV with such familiarity that I thought they must be friends of theirs. They were especially warm about Shiela MacRae and to me she was Alice Kramden. It wasn't until later that I saw the other HONEYMOONERS in syndication.

If the Audrey Meadows version was THE FLINTSTONES then the Miami Beach version was FAMILY GUY--because they often ended up in lavish productions with showgirls and singing and glitzy costumes.

And the history of the Honeymooners is much longer than that, since the sketch first began on Gleason's early 1950s variety program--and there were several iterations of the same basic formula that followed. Not to mention the comic book--JACKIE GLEASON AND THE HONEYMOONERS--that DC published from 1956 to 1958.
    I remember when the Jackie Gleason show was a series of standup skits and variety. But it wasn't working and they went to the Honeymooners as at least half the show. I thought it was hilarious and later saw the originals from the 1950s. The Gleason show did a lot of stuff that had never been done before.

The most memorable Gleason show skit I remember was where Ralph Kramden (Gleason) and Ed Norton (Art Carney) got into an argument about who really was the star of the Jackie Gleason show. Ralph said that Gleason was the star and Norton said that Carney stole the show. So they agreed to ask a certain number of people and see who the majority said was really the star. So they got to the last person and it was a tie so far. They asked the last person who was really the true star of the show and the man said, "Well, I really couldn't tell you. I always watch "Flipper".

It was breaking the Fourth Wall because Ralph and Ed, the characters in the show, were arguing about the actors who played them. It was also possibly the first time a show on one network openly mentioned a show on another network including joking about the fact that the other show sometimes beat them in the ratings.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    It was also possibly the first time a show on one network openly mentioned a show on another network including joking about the fact that the other show sometimes beat them in the ratings.
    They did it on What's My Line, and probably other game shows with celebrity guest stars, all the time going back to the mid-50a
    S

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Some good stuff out there today, but nothing beats the golden age

The Three Stooges is easily #1 (especially with Curly)

2. I Love Lucy
    3. The Munsters
    4. The Golden Girls
    5. (tied) The Simpsons and The Honeymooners

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Some good stuff out there today, but nothing beats the golden age

The Three Stooges is easily #1 (especially with Curly)

2. I Love Lucy
    3. The Munsters
    4. The Golden Girls
    5. (tied) The Simpsons and The Honeymooners
    Yikes. Three Stooges not even in the top 50.

In no particular order:

Seinfeld
    Cheers
    Night Court
    Frasier
    MASH

plenty of honorable mentions such as Family Guy, Married with Children, and Simpsons
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Yikes. Three Stooges not even in the top 50.
    There's an official list?

I get everybody has their opinion but a Comedy Tribute with no mention of the Three Stooges ist a list I can't respect.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    There's an official list?

I get everybody has their opinion but a Comedy Tribute with no mention of the Three Stooges ist a list I can't respect.
    A comedy list that includes the Three Stooges is...not worth considering.

Did the Three Stooges ever have a proper television show?

The broadcasted shows were just collections of the shorts, weren't they?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The problem with these top 5 or top 10 lists or whatever is that everyone assumes you must hate everything you don't put on that short list. Which is why I always put honorable mentions, but even that doesn't list everything.

Extraordinary Member

In no particular order and just pulling the first five I think of because this would be impossible if I try to go through all the comdey shows I like and love.

Brooklyn Nine Nine
    Parks and Recreation
    Fraiser
    Scrubs
    Bob's Burgers

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    The problem with these top 5 or top 10 lists or whatever is that everyone assumes you must hate everything you don't put on that short list. Which is why I always put honorable mentions, but even that doesn't list everything.
    That's why I said YOUR TOP COMEDIES not THE TOP COMEDIES. This is a personal list of your fave comedy shows not the official best list.

I also like a few other shows a lot, but these 5 shows are closer to my heart. I might change my mind later when I do rewatches of other shows.

SCTV
    Dinosaurs
    Seinfeld
    The Big Bang Theory
    Cheers

Three Stooges (with Curly).
    MASH
    South Park
    Simpsons
    And lately I've really been getting into Andy Griffith Show. Ran for 8 seasons, and once you get started, you can see why.