Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Can foreign superhero films ever reach mainstream status?

Some months back I watched Valentine: The Dark Avenger, which...wasn't complete poo considering the obvious budget constraints and so-so English dubbing. I mean it wasn't great, but for the first Indonesian film I've ever watched it was okay. I didn't even know Indonesia had their own superhero comic books, hell I didn't even know Indonesia made films. And just yesterday I discovered through an offhand post somewhere the Philippine comics character Darna, which according to Wikipedia they're trying to make a movie out of. Likewise I didn't even know the Philippines had their own superhero comics, or again films (I get it, I'm too Euro-American centric). Now obviously I doubt they'll ever reach Batman or Spider-Man status without a big Hollywood movie, but could a foreign superhero or superhero film ever reach minimum or average "mainstream" status? And if so, how? Is anyone here even familiar with non-American/European originating comics and characters (as in they didn't come from an American or British/whatever publisher, so characters from other countries in Marvel/DC don't count)? Just something I'm kind of curious about learning more about.

Edit: Just thought about this, but Japanese manga/anime heroes don't count, obviously they can become mainstream.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 08-10-2019 at 11:20 AM.