Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitch a solo

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Default Pitch a solo

The X-men rule on teams like no other franchice but they do very little when it comes to solos.
    So if sales weren't a problem and you could pitch a solo for any X-men character.
    Who would you chose?
    What would it be about?
    if you want you can name some supporting member but keep in mind that for this exercise the priority is a solo book.

FROSTt.jpg
    I still think they should have done this!

EMMA FROST: Emma Frost decides that the best way of tackling the Inhuman state is by becoming the head of a state herself. Will the White Queen be able to take the White House by stoking the fears of the public about the aliens among us?

I would have Beast and Astrid Bloom as main supporting cast.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    The X-men rule on teams like no other franchice but they do very little when it comes to solos.
    So if sales weren't a problem and you could pitch a solo for any X-men character.
    Who would you chose?
    What would it be about?
    if you want you can name some supporting member but keep in mind that for this exercise the priority is a solo book.
    Are we disqualifying characters that have already had solos? Otherwise we'll be getting a glut of Wolverine, Cable, Gambit, X-23, etc.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

X-Men-derived solos should be limited series that declare they are limited series from jump, be tightly constructed with an intended ending, and add something of substance and consequence to the character it's about. These solos so far have been meandering and/or too ambitious, and don't feel great nor add anything that makes them compelling to re-read. Later on, with some continued success and actual demand, maybe the character in question can earn an ongoing.

So, that said, the obvious starting point is Adam-X, the X-Treme.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Are we disqualifying characters that have already had solos? Otherwise we'll be getting a glut of Wolverine, Cable, Gambit, X-23, etc.
    If you want you can, but i would prefer others besides those.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    X-Men-derived solos should be limited series that declare they are limited series from jump, be tightly constructed with an intended ending, and add something of substance and consequence to the character it's about. These solos so far have been meandering and/or too ambitious, and don't feel great nor add anything that makes them compelling to re-read. Later on, with some continued success and actual demand, maybe the character in question can earn an ongoing.
    Makes sense, Minis are fun too.

I want to do 6-10 issues of Sunfire: Hot Nights in Tokyo, but I don’t know enough about Japanese nationalism or sexual politics.

It would start with Shiro’s bachelor party and end with his killing his secret lover.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 08-10-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Naturally, my solo would be Polaris. I actually made a blog post of ideas and options for one, but I'm going to type whatever comes out in this post rather than simply copying and pasting.

The primary purpose of a Polaris solo would be to move Lorna toward better treatment going forward. Through decades of mistreatment, negative perception of the character and her worth and potential has become ingrained within Marvel's internal culture. Writers keep falling back into toxic relationship dynamics, and ignoring important past character development, because that's what they're familiar with. Editors keep excluding her from things she should be in and on for the same reason.

After 10 years, especially the past few, I'm convinced that the only way to dispel all these problems is through a good, hard, dedicated look at Lorna. Who she is. What she has to offer. A solo book would do that. Because the writer and editor can't stray off to some other character they like and respect more. They have to stop and put some real thought into the character for herself.

In my mind, a Polaris solo would first and foremost go through all the core parts of her history and give them a deeper, more introspective and emotional look.

Maybe Malice possesses Lorna again in the present day - only this time, we get to see things relevant to her POV. Maybe we can see Lorna fighting Malice for control within her head. Maybe we see Malice exploit what people think of Lorna, whether that's betraying trust among friends, or taking advantage of how weak people think she is, or anything else. We could see some bad bits rewritten as well - e.g. say the infamously bad bit of Lorna terrified of Sabretooth coming after her was really Malice playing out a cruel form of role playing what she thought of Lorna. Lots of options.

Maybe we would see Lorna visit Genosha's ruins, and relive the "ghost" of the genocide. Maybe Lorna and Iceman finally chat about his coming out. Maybe we see what life was like for Lorna growing up pre-X-Men, including finally seeing and learning something more about her foster parents besides that they exist (or existed; we don't even know if they're still alive). There are countless bad depictions that could be reworked, and new areas to explore that have potential or were abandoned without a thought (e.g. the anti-Apocalypse cult trying to kill her that was just an excuse to send her into space).

But I can also see this not quite jiving for people. An alternative approach would be Lorna traveling the world, connecting with people (humans and mutants alike) across various cultures to better understand the world and what people are going through. It would play into the whole "Queen of Mutants," "Magneto's heir" concept. Previously, the idea would've worked well for Lorna as a prelude to rebuilding Genosha. In the current context, it could still work for her as a sort of lone wolf figure trying to figure out for herself what's best for mutants and her place in the world, or as a prelude to a team she leads that takes a whole new path from the X-Men and Magneto after listening to what mutants need (instead of assuming).

The inspiration for above being that I've noticed a trend for Lorna. Any time she needs to "find herself again," she departs for places unknown. She did it when she left the X-Men for a civilian life, when she lost her powers, and when she regained them following her time as Pestilence. Perhaps this time, instead of that departure just throwing her into limbo, we get to see the kind of journey she's taking. And what she's learning from it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Makes sense, Minis are fun too.
    Minis are fun! Or, can be! I'd love a steady trickle of fun, cool X-Men solo minis.

I'm reminded of a thing Jordan White said recently--paraphrased, it was "creators new to Marvel try to do everything instead of focusing, and it ultimately bloats their stories and diminishes the quality of their work, and they run out of time before they can wrap everything up."

"Time" could be interpreted as "they get cancelled, because the quality of their work isn't retaining readers/getting positive attention, because it's so bloated" or "their contract is up," but I'm sure it's the latter--that is definitely the case for X-Men solos, anyway. (See: Iceman)

To target a young adult demographic, I'm pitching a Hellion solo/mini.

Julian Keller has been abandoned time and again by the people he cares about: his family, his mentors, the girl(s) he loves. He has also seen his friends murdered. Despite these losses (and the loss of his hands) and being torn between the philosophies of Xavier and Magneto, he always strives to be a hero and do the right thing. He continues to fight to protect those he cares about. I would explore the inner workings of Julian, his vulnerability due to the repeated abandonments he's endured, his struggle to find the right course of action as he wavers between Xavier's dream and Magneto's pragmatism. This would be a quintessential coming-of-age tale, and I would have Julian's journey take him across the globe in search of himself and his purpose in life, all the while trying to mend and reconcile his broken relationships, sometimes successfully, sometimes not. By the end of the story, Julian will have come to terms with his grief and his rage, will have found renewed value in himself, and will have chosen a pathway for his future.

Over the course of the story, Julian will encounter his parents and his brother, Emma Frost, Magneto, Cyclops, Wolverine, his old teammates and friends, Wind Dancer and X-23.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Minis are fun! Or, can be! I'd love a steady trickle of fun, cool X-Men solo minis.

I'm reminded of a thing Jordan White said recently--paraphrased, it was "creators new to Marvel try to do everything instead of focusing, and it ultimately bloats their stories and diminishes the quality of their work, and they run out of time before they can wrap everything up."

"Time" could be interpreted as "they get cancelled, because the quality of their work isn't retaining readers/getting positive attention, because it's so bloated" or "their contract is up," but I'm sure it's the latter--that is definitely the case for X-Men solos, anyway. (See: Iceman)
    I am totally down for miniseries! I'd say an anthology of miniseries focused on singular / duo / trio's of X-Men. With 3-issue minis, they could do 4 different characters in one year; with 4-issue minis, they could do 3 different characters in one year. Not only would it allow them to test out different characters to see what works/sells, but it'll also allow them to test out different talent (writers and artists). Maybe if one character is well-received, there is an opportunity for a solo. Or if a writer is well-received, they have the possibility of writing a mainstream X-Men team book in the future.
    I like boys, comics, Disney, and traveling. // follow me @ itsnickmen
    “Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

I liked Storm, Nightcraler and Iceman series, I wish they had been longer, a bit like Legion's solo X-men Legacy. Also better art for the boys.
    A Chamber series in the UK music scene would be neat.
    Shadwocat, Moonstar, Magik or Rogue ongoings would be obviously perfect and make sense.
    Sunfire could be fun, with a japanese writer.

My solo would be: NORTHSTAR!

Supporting Cast: Kyle Jinadu-Beaubier, Aurora, Snowbird, Frenzy, Gambit, Anole

Villains: Pink Pearl and the Happy Clams, Sadista and the other mercenaries from Northstar's 90's mini, Circus of Crime, homophobia & bigotry

Plots: Learning more about Northstar's backstory, his home relationship with Kyle, his relationships with former Alpha Flight teammates (including his twin sis), his relationship with current X-Men members. I like the idea of Northstar hanging out with Frenzy and Gambit as they share his sort of shady/terrorist backgrounds. I also like the idea of him being as sort of a mentor to Anole. And of course Pink Pearl would be Northstar's archenemy, with the mercs from Northstar's 90's mini-series returning as well to establish a rogues gallery.

Northstar is Marvel's most prominent (historically) gay character, so he needs a push. His powers make him a good "gay Superman" role model fantasy for young gay readers.

Kwannon in the killer butterfly of Krakoa. Keeping justice on the island.

New X-Solo!

Why are Rogue, Polaris, Havok, Mystique, and Blindfold on the run from the X-Men? And how does Blindfold's boyfriend, Legion, play a role in all this? Think this is the newest X-team? Think again, True Believer! You won't believe your eyes.

-Pav, who thinks this character essentially demands a solo...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Fantastic Member

Magik! (in Offset adlib)

Illyana tries to become a powerful sorceress team ups with Pixie

Karma, Mirage, Leah of Hel, Sunpot & Cannonball, Doctor Strange