Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

looking back at his fights with both twister and franky and they both have some pretty decent strength feats. twister was able to throw ip man across the ring twice while wearing boxing gloves, which isn't an easy thing to do.

while franky was shown to be strong enough to send ip man flying several feet across the room with his punches. and even more amazing is he was able to do this while on his back. let me repeat that: he sent a full grown man flying across the room with a punch WHILE ON HIS BACK!

anyone with any kind of knowledge and/or experience in MMA or fighting in general (i'm looking at you, sharp), knows that that is one of the worst positions to throw a punch from. so that's an almost scary level of power to do that.

Mighty Member

Tammy Warner, we don't use A-B-C logic for rumbles. just because person A defeats person B doesn't mean that they get person B's feats. now if person B has feats that can clearly defeat person C... that doesn't mean that Person A can defeat person C … just because they defeated person B. it could be, that person C has a skill set for which person A has no work-around or defense against. Person C could suffer a humiliating defeat at the hands of Person B and still inflict a crushing defeat on Person A based on demonstrated skill sets and feats.

based on the fairly strict guidelines of the forum... if Ippo doesn't knock Ip Man out within the first two or three punches he's definitely losing. Ippo has zero grapping experience... and Ip Man has some pretty superhuman feats of his own.

as others have said, Ippo really doesn't do that well in unfamiliar scenarios. Ippo has ZERO feats for defending against grapplers. and I don't think he's got the nerves of steel and self-confidence to just power his way through it. yeah, he's fast enough and tough enough for Ip Man to have to really work for it... but I just don't see how Ippo wins this in a free-for-all, no-holds barred match. now, if they were restricted to boxing rules... then I don't see how Ip Man could win.

man, now I wanna see Itagaki do that so-called 'shuffle' against Ip Man and get dropped to the ground like a sack of potatoes. and then... I wanna watch it again in slow motion! Itagaki's win over Saeki was pure character shield BS.

ahem... sorry. off topic rant.
    Last edited by Totoro Man; 08-27-2019 at 08:00 PM.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    Tammy Warner, we don't use A-B-C logic for rumbles. just because person A defeats person B doesn't mean that they get person B's feats. now if person B has feats that can clearly defeat person C... that doesn't mean that Person A can defeat person C … just because they defeated person B. it could be, that person C has a skill set for which person A has no work-around or defense against. Person C could suffer a humiliating defeat at the hands of Person B and still inflict a crushing defeat on Person A based on demonstrated skill sets and feats.

based on the fairly strict guidelines of the forum... if Ippo doesn't knock Ip Man out within the first two or three punches he's definitely losing. Ippo has zero grapping experience... and Ip Man has some pretty superhuman feats of his own.

as others have said, Ippo really doesn't do that well in unfamiliar scenarios. Ippo has ZERO feats for defending against grapplers. and I don't think he's got the nerves of steel and self-confidence to just power his way through it. yeah, he's fast enough and tough enough for Ip Man to have to really work for it... but I just don't see how Ippo wins this in a free-for-all, no-holds barred match. now, if they were restricted to boxing rules... then I don't see how Ip Man could win.

man, now I wanna see Itagaki do that so-called 'shuffle' against Ip Man and get dropped to the ground like a sack of potatoes. and then... I wanna watch it again in slow motion! Itagaki's win over Saeki was pure character shield BS.

also, ip man was attacking point and at angles that ippo has never really dealt with before: eye pokes, attacking the ear, the legs, etc. and since ippo's main tact is "tank hits and get close to knock out", he will be eating these attacks, which will **** him up in the long run.

now if this was takamura, it'd be a way closer fight since he's far stronger, faster and more skilled than ippo.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post

Yeah alright, I am finally starting to understand where your arguments are directly coming from. But my point was that the boxers in HNI are well above both Twister and Frank in overall levels and magnitudes of strength, speed, skill, and durability. And Ippo fighting against them is going to prove extremely difficult for Ip Man. And plus you have to factor in that so many of the boxers in HNI have shown actual strength equivalent to that of breaking through solid walls and the only person in Ip Man so far that is arguably on that level is Owen Davidson from Master Z.

And @Totoro Man, yeah being placed under boxing rules, Ippo would totally trash Ip Man HARD based on the great disparity of his superior physical stats, I guess that's what I was trying to argue all along.

@Master of Read, okay yeah, you make a somewhat convincing point there. Ippo has never dealt with something as esoteric and complex as Ip Man's pressure points and grappling techniques and the fact that Ip Man can just attack his legs and feet is going to be a disadvantage for Ippo. If Ip Man uses those special techniques and with blinding speed on Ippo without the latter realizing it, then yeah I guess Ip Man can definitely win that way.

But my point still stands in that if Ip Man were to go up against the top-tier boxers of HNI, as it much as I regret saying it as an Ip Man fan, he'd sadly be screwed. ��

It has been a fun debate though, gents.
    Last edited by Tammy Warner; 08-29-2019 at 09:03 AM.

I think Woli moved more wildly and attacked almost as all over the place as IP man could. Of course Ippo was basically getting destroyed so that doesn't exactly help his case here, but it does mean he wouldn't be completely unfamiliar with less conventional tonal angles. Not much defense or things he can do against kicks beyond just keeping throwing punches though.

Ippo does have that whole 1 inch punch that could catch IPman off guard though.

All-New Member

Ip Man should win.