Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default House of X: Xaviers use of Sabretooth

I love House of X! The only thing that bugs me is Xavier's use of Sabretooth! Xavier seems to have been on Mystique's mission, so wasn't it dumb for a man who is so keen on preserving lives, human or mutant, to send a loose cannon like Sabretooth on this kind of a mission? Look, I get it. He sends the "brotherhood" to do the dirty jobs the X-Men can't. Fine. But he surely knows by now what Sabretooth is like. He knows what he's going to do. There are so many other mutants he could have sent. Is Xavier suddenly senile, or does he just no longer care?

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Maybe that would make people don't suspect Xavier is behind everything?

BANNED

I don’t think he cares

This may not be 616

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

There's not much to it, other than Hickman playing homage to crappy films & continuing the trend of using Crud ('cus this ain't Creed lol), as a punching bag to hype his pets -FF. Marking Hickman another of his bad writers.

But far as making in-story sense of it. Given how useless Crud is, he's a fall-man. Should something go wrong, he's an acceptable loss. We saw that when Scott just left him there.

Xavier may not care as much or expected Mystique to control him. In any case, Apocalypse is gonna be joining the team, they allied with Sinister of all people, Magneto is there, and Mystique is a known psycho.

Given the above, I don't get why some see Crud as some kind of great moral violation or line crossed...As I keep saying, he's not a threat or character that is gonna flip any pancakes. So allowing him to hang out is just a "whatever" type of deal. They're working with more dangerous foes. Because mutants have officially become sick of humans.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 08-11-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
    I don’t think he cares

This may not be 616
    Why wouldn't this be 616?

I don’t know if this was a homage to the movie Brotherhood, although that’s possible. These three were also the Brotherhood members who attacked Muir Island in the story where Moira died. That connection seems potentially important.

But beside that, I think it is pretty telling that Sabertooth was sent. He killed several guards, and Xavier had to know that was likely. So that does indeed seem a bit different than the Xavier we know.

Based on the (admittedly minimal) roles we see for other characters, Xavier seems to have focused on using people according to their strengths. Jean as a teacher or spokesperson as she welcomes new kids to Krakoa, Cypher and Sage as technical support....and Mystique, Toad, and Creed as thieves. Yes, he could have sent other mutants who could have done the same job (let’s say Kitty, Nightcrawler, and Wolverine). So what’s the difference?

You could make an argument for plausible deniability. Xavier could make a case that he’d never affiliate with these mutants. But Cyclops immediately showing up kind of undermines that. So what else could it be?

He doesn’t care about the ones he did send should something go wrong. If they got caught or killed, who on Krakoa would miss them?

It makes sense in many ways. But it’s absolutely questionable from a moral standpoint.

It’s definitely meant to make us question the reasoning behind it, I think.

The strange thing is that we consider characters are the same whatever the authors who writes them are.
    Claremont's Xavier is very different from Hickman's Xavier which is different from Carey's Xavier and so on…
    Most of the comics I read were from Claremont so for me, my idea of the character has been forged by his view. Others interpretations can be made but they are too far, I don't take them seriously.
    A Charles Xavier who doesn't value human lifes like 'mutant lifes'… it doesn't work for me.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Xavier and the XMen, in response to the recent attacks on mutants while the XMen were believed dead, have become hardcore to the point where they no longer disagree with Magneto, Mystique, and Apocalypse. They agree which each other.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Xavier and the XMen, in response to the recent attacks on mutants while the XMen were believed dead, have become hardcore to the point where they no longer disagree with Magneto, Mystique, and Apocalypse. They agree which each other.
    That mutants have been hunted and killed is not new (Mutant Massacre in 1986). I think society has changed, our society. It produces colder, more cynical authors with less empathy: we had Claremont, now we have Hickman.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Creed was probably there just in case Mystique and Toad were caught, and killed, in case their captors weren't heroes. Gotta have someone immortal to relay the data, so you don't lose all your operatives. Since he was captured, he was an acceptable loss since Scott didn't want to get in a fight with Reed. If he wanted to, he could just summon the team from the covers. Unless some of you think the F4 could stand against Jean, Wolverine, Monet, Husk, Archangel and Nightcrawler. If you think about it, Jean and Monet would be enough.

If anything, I'm still kind of baffled Creed was able to tank both the Human Torch and the Thing alone while covering for Toad and Mystique. Not many villains or heroes can put that on their curriculum.

BANNED

I wonder if Scott team that'll show up later in HoX is tasked with retrieving Sabes. Scott did say he'd get him back somehow.

Sabretooth is tough enough to make it almost impossible for him to die on the mission and irrelevant enough for Xavier to not mind leaving him behind.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    I wonder if Scott team that'll show up later in HoX is tasked with retrieving Sabes. Scott did say he'd get him back somehow.
    I seriously doubt it because nobody on that squad has reason to want him back. Especially Wolverine. Lol

If anyone, maybe Magneto will get him, on way to claim Richards.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 08-11-2019 at 02:27 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Hardly. Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Jean might be suited for a stealth mission, but the Mother Mold will probably attack Krakoa soon and they'll need the team on the mainland. Scott might just have meant Charles will get Creed back if he's needed again.

I don't know why I have the feeling that at some point Orchid is going to attack the 4F and Sabretooth is going to protect Franklin.