Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I don't really get the people wanting Absorbing Man to "come back" from anything. The guy's a monster and always has been. He's not redeemable, at any rate. Titania isn't much better. That's why they work.
    problem is that they both have instances of being quite decent to other people. their wedding issue is also quite memorable. who focuses on the wedding of two monsters? what i remember most about Creel is that he boxed against Matt Murdock's dad and was a well-respected fighter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    problem is that they both have instances of being quite decent to other people. their wedding issue is also quite memorable. who focuses on the wedding of two monsters? what i remember most about Creel is that he boxed against Matt Murdock's dad and was a well-respected fighter.
    Bingo

Black bolt run and even in current Hulk he’s portrayed as not that bad

I like him but I never knew about the rape until this weekend

Ultimate Member

In fairness, the both of them tried to kill Hercules while he was in a coma in the hospital.

I think being a rapist is a bit much for Creel yes, but his sympathetic moments should be balanced with the fact that he's a career criminal, willing to murder if need be.

Not that I think it's in character, but didn't this husband and wife duo run a slave diamond mine before 'Fear Itself'?

I wish writers would stop making villains 'more evil' as a shorthand for characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Uh. I don't feel think it works like that. Literally, if I found out the Joker was a rapist I'd have the same opinion of him. Now 10 or 20 years ago it probably would have really changed how I viewed him but not today. Unless the character is fighting aliens or demons or some oppressive regime. I really can't square with him being a mass murderer.
    i can only speak for myself. but i have a number of ways of categorizing villains. some of them i really like because i think it'd be cool to be them. and some i like (but also hate) because they are well made villains and excel at their "job."

Red Skull is a good villain imo. but he also absolutely irredeemable. i cheer when the Red Skull gets hurt. i don't when, say, the Superior Foes of Spider-man get hurt. because i kind of like those characters. i appreciate their relationships. if they were to become rapists, i would instantly dislike them. they can't and shouldn't do what the Red Skull does. the Joker can get away with doing something like that because we're not meant to relate to him. other villains avoid him because of his anti-social behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    In fairness, the both of them tried to kill Hercules while he was in a coma in the hospital.
    that falls within the guidelines of their game. supervillains are allowed to kill superheroes. they are expected to press the advantage. it's a welcome suprise when they don't (like when Sandman visited Ben Grimm in the hospital). it was an entirely different issue when Mister Hyde brutalized Jarvis. Jarvis is a civilian and off-limits. that scene was there to paint Mister Hyde as a monster; something worse than a typical villain. and that characterization has stuck. Hyde would definitely rape someone. i think he might have at least attempted to rape Nekra. i'd have to reread that Lethal Legion mini.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think being a rapist is a bit much for Creel yes, but his sympathetic moments should be balanced with the fact that he's a career criminal, willing to murder if need be.

Not that I think it's in character, but didn't this husband and wife duo run a slave diamond mine before 'Fear Itself'?
    i have no familiarity with this story. it sounds like something out of their (intellectual) depth to be honest. they've never been very ambitious.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Pretty sure he had Sue Storm as his consort as God Emperor Doom.
    Jus primae noctis was never about love or fidelity. Most of the nobles who practiced it also had wives of their own.

Besides, men are only as faithful as their options. It's not a reflection on Sue at all, but I'm pretty sure a guy like Doom would have other women, whether Sue was his consort or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Jus primae noctis was never about love or fidelity. Most of the nobles who practiced it also had wives of their own.

Besides, men are only as faithful as their options. It's not a reflection on Sue at all, but I'm pretty sure a guy like Doom would have other women, whether Sue was his consort or not.
    well Black Swan was still around...

given his position, it would be kind of skeevy. who says no to "god?"
    Well, if you read about and or/believe most world religions, mankind has made a regular habit of saying no to "God."

i can only speak for myself. but i have a number of ways of categorizing villains. some of them i really like because i think it'd be cool to be them. and some i like (but also hate) because they are well made villains and excel at their "job."

Red Skull is a good villain imo. but he also absolutely irredeemable. i cheer when the Red Skull gets hurt. i don't when, say, the Superior Foes of Spider-man get hurt. because i kind of like those characters. i appreciate their relationships. if they were to become rapists, i would instantly dislike them. they can't and shouldn't do what the Red Skull does. the Joker can get away with doing something like that because we're not meant to relate to him. other villains avoid him because of his anti-social behavior.
    depends on the Spidey villain to me. Green Goblin killing Gwen Stacey and a number of people, plus the affair (or was it rape) retcon with Gwen Stacey. He's often portrayed as deranged so depending on the scenario its, not something that would overly surprise me. Kingpin wouldn't shock me if you consider him Spidey and not Daredevil. Then it depends on the incarnation and tone of the story. If its set up in a way where this guy is just robbing a bank or stealing some art and not someone who is trying to blow up a city or kill millions and the story is consistent with that portrayal fine.

I also acknowledge that these characters are portrayed differently in different mediums. Green Goblin is different then he is in the comics then he is in the cartoon series. Kingpin is different in the comics then he is in live-action or cartoons. Characters change over time. The Adam West Joker was super campy then you get to the modern Joker or the Heath Ledger Joker and he is psychotic. The animated Absorbing Man is very different from the comics or live-action version.

I think this is kind of an intersting time when we've got so many incarnaitons of the same characters at the same time. We've got cartoons and videogames and then we've got darker live action takes like the Nolanverse or the DCEU and MCU or shows like The Boys
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Well, if you read about and or/believe most world religions, mankind has made a regular habit of saying no to "God."
    how does that normally work out for them tho?
    The J-man

depends on the Spidey villain to me. Green Goblin killing Gwen Stacey and a number of people, plus the affair (or was it rape) retcon with Gwen Stacey. He's often portrayed as deranged so depending on the scenario its, not something that would overly surprise me. Kingpin wouldn't shock me if you consider him Spidey and not Daredevil. Then it depends on the incarnation and tone of the story. If its set up in a way where this guy is just robbing a bank or stealing some art and not someone who is trying to blow up a city or kill millions and the story is consistent with that portrayal fine.

I also acknowledge that these characters are portrayed differently in different mediums. Green Goblin is different then he is in the comics then he is in the cartoon series. Kingpin is different in the comics then he is in live-action or cartoons. Characters change over time. The Adam West Joker was super campy then you get to the modern Joker or the Heath Ledger Joker and he is psychotic. The animated Absorbing Man is very different from the comics or live-action version.

I think this is kind of an intersting time when we've got so many incarnaitons of the same characters at the same time. We've got cartoons and videogames and then we've got darker live action takes like the Nolanverse or the DCEU and MCU or shows like The Boys
    It wasn't, the affair was consensual, wrong, but consensual.

Edit: Although technically speaking, it wasn't an affair either, Peter and Gwen weren't together during the time frame when she and Norman made their thing.
    Last edited by TheCape; 08-12-2019 at 12:58 PM.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    It wasn't, the affair was consensual, wrong, but consensual.

Edit: Although technically speaking, it wasn't an affair either, Peter and Gwen weren't together during the time frame when she and Norman made their thing.
    thanks for the clarification
    The J-man

how does that normally work out for them tho?
    Don't know. The story hasn't ended yet.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Some things are better left lost/forgotten/ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Frankly, there were a few crappy things in Secret Warriors. Like Nick Fury forcing Sebastian Druid to go on boot camp because appearantly a non-physical power needs you to have the classic superhero bodybuilder bodytype.
    Seems in-character for Fury though, if you ask me. And I think it was as much about reformatting Sebastian's mindset into something more military – which is really the point of boot camp in the real world more than anything. It's about breaking down who you were so that you can be molded in what they need you to be.