Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Doom has raped someone (probably several someones). no one seems to care.

https://www.cbr.com/remember-to-forg...-peasant-girl/

note the expression on her face

Purple Man and Mesmero as well.

if you really want to get into the weeds it all goes back to patriarchy. there was a high price placed on a woman's virginity. but that might all be a little too much for a comic book forum.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Purple Man and Mesmero as well.
    Everyone knows about Purple Man
    It’s kind of his thing

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Even if we don't like a vilain, we need to be fascinated by him, but rapist or nazi (that's why Red Skull will never be an A-list villain) it's irredeemable. It's better to be a mass-murderer.
    Speaking of:

The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    I remember he kidnapped a woman in the pages of the avengers to have some fun on the road as well (back when he turned into water by diving to escape the avengers i think)
    Yeah, but by the end of that story, the woman was yelling at the Avengers for not just leaving Creel alone. Some mixed messages in that issue for sure. He turned himself into water to kill himself btw.

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    I hope it was totally retconned because making a villain a rapist is the worst thing who can happen to him. He can't come-back. Even if we don't like a villain, we need to be fascinated by him, but rapist or nazi (that's why Red Skull will never be an A-list villain) it's irredeemable. It's better to be a mass-murderer.
    Uh. I don't feel think it works like that. Literally, if I found out the Joker was a rapist I'd have the same opinion of him. Now 10 or 20 years ago it probably would have really changed how I viewed him but not today. Unless the character is fighting aliens or demons or some oppressive regime. I really can't square with him being a mass murderer.

Red Skull wasn't an A-List villain because he was a caricature. And let's be frank Captain America wasn't really A list in the 40s. Captain Marvel (Shazam) was king. Then you had Superman was others. You could rank him as A list of you want because there were fewer heroes and the landscape was different but he didn't crack the top 5. Even by modern comics he wasn't A-list till the 2000s.

Red Skull could probably be A-list if they just wrote him in a more interesting way and put him in more stories.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Speaking of:

The J-man

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I don't really get the people wanting Absorbing Man to "come back" from anything. The guy's a monster and always has been. He's not redeemable, at any rate. Titania isn't much better. That's why they work.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I don't really get the people wanting Absorbing Man to "come back" from anything. The guy's a monster and always has been. He's not redeemable, at any rate. Titania isn't much better. That's why they work.
    That is clearly not the way he’s being presented at modern Marvel

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Isn't it a rule in the MU that a healthy body is needed to keep using magic without it negatively impacting your health?
    Not necessarily. Sutekh didn't mention it, but the other source of mystical power is the well-spring of magical energy that pervades everything. In theory, whenever you encounter someone who is not properly trained in the mystic arts, and who isn't a mystical being and source of their own powers like gods and beings like the Faltine, the magic is usually drawn unknowingly from the environment. In that respect, magic functions like any other source of energy. Just like a person doesn't have to be physically healthy to absorb and channel ambient cosmic energy, they don't have to be particularly fit to do that with magical energy.

That said, mysticism is both a force and a discipline with many forms, some of which heavily rely on a sound mind, body and soul for greatest effect. If you are not "strong" enough to wield the power that you are invoking, or control the paranormal entities that you are summoning, you will likely suffer tragically for it.

if you really want to get into the weeds it all goes back to patriarchy. there was a high price placed on a woman's virginity. but that might all be a little too much for a comic book forum.
    Ironically, one of the reasons why society as a whole views rape as a more heinous crime than murder may also have patriarchal underpinnings. But you're right, this is too deep a topic for a comic book forum. Or a Monday.

Doom has raped someone (probably several someones). no one seems to care.

https://www.cbr.com/remember-to-forg...-peasant-girl/

note the expression on her face

It does make you wonder whether or not Doom exercised jus primae noctis on Battleworld when he was God Emperor Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    It does make you wonder whether or not Doom exercised jus primae noctis on Battleworld when he was God Emperor Doom.
    I don't see why he would since he already had Susie.

No need to go snatching up anymore blondes.

Pretty sure he had Sue Storm as his consort as God Emperor Doom.
    #EmmaWasRight

given his position, it would be kind of skeevy. who says no to "god?"

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Pretty sure he had Sue Storm as his consort as God Emperor Doom.
    The dude is a serial rapist.