Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default I think a lot of writers forget that The Absorbing Man raped someone

Or it was retconned and I never found out

I was just reading Secret Warriors and had to do a double take when stonewall goes with yo-yo to visit him in jail

When he explains how he was conceived I didn’t a double take
    Has to look that **** up on a wiki to make sure I wasn’t misinterpreting it

Maybe Most people haven’t read Secret Warriors
    Cuz dude has been portrayed as sympathetic since

This is fun, because I had this exact same experience recently. Well, first off, I think it's a mistake when these kinda blue-collar supervillains like the Wrecking Crew and the Absorbing Man and whatnot who go to jail all the time get charged with more serious crimes than robbing banks and the like. Yes, they can kill and blah blah, but no like, dead schoolbuses like Paul Jenkins tried to blame the Wrecking Crew for in that post-Siege Sentry thing.
    Second, it does kind of feel like the thing someone like Ewing, a continuity beast, would address or retcon.
    Third, I do think such a thing needs to be done, but until it is I kinda have a No-Prize rewrite for it in my own head.
    Fourth, it's possible someone already dealt with it and I'm just buggin' rn in the middle of the light.

Because this is the page that should always define Crusher Creel.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Its been retconned/ignored afaik. Its really OOC for Creel and was a weak way of generating conflict within a story.

I hated that and I'm happy it's being ignored.
    Titania and Absorbing Man is one of the few really loving villains couples we have and having Creel be a rapist would taint their relationship.
    Frankly, there were a few crappy things in Secret Warriors. Like Nick Fury forcing Sebastian Druid to go on boot camp because appearantly a non-physical power needs you to have the classic superhero bodybuilder bodytype.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    This is fun, because I had this exact same experience recently. Well, first off, I think it's a mistake when these kinda blue-collar supervillains like the Wrecking Crew and the Absorbing Man and whatnot who go to jail all the time get charged with more serious crimes than robbing banks and the like. Yes, they can kill and blah blah, but no like, dead schoolbuses like Paul Jenkins tried to blame the Wrecking Crew for in that post-Siege Sentry thing.
    Second, it does kind of feel like the thing someone like Ewing, a continuity beast, would address or retcon.
    Third, I do think such a thing needs to be done, but until it is I kinda have a No-Prize rewrite for it in my own head.
    Fourth, it's possible someone already dealt with it and I'm just buggin' rn in the middle of the light.

Because this is the page that should always define Crusher Creel.

Al Ewing vaguely referenced Creel problems with substance abuse in Immortal Hulk.
    #EmmaWasRight

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Frankly, there were a few crappy things in Secret Warriors. Like Nick Fury forcing Sebastian Druid to go on boot camp because apparantly a non-physical power needs you to have the classic superhero bodybuilder bodytype.
    And then he got to be Quake's boyfriend, because that's what happens. You lose the weight and get a hot bod, and then the girls just fall over with their legs in the air. Ugh. Terrible message.

Also kind of interesting from a stance of someone who knows how magic was supposed to work in the Marvel Universe. He's theoretically got trained power, personal power and invoked power available. He's not using trained power (which tends to manifest similar to telepathy, etc.), since the cyborg who trained him knew bupkiss about that. He's not using invoked power from extra-dimensional sources, because we don't hear him calling out to the Faltines or Cytorrak or Ikonn or Watoomb when he casts his spells. So he's just using his personal power, which is entirely generated within his life-energy, and restores itself *very* slowly, if at all. Every big trick that the cyborg idiot had him do was permanently eating up his future power, and if he stuck around with that moron, he'd likely have been a burnt-out husk with not a drop of magic (or life...) left to him.

Now, granted, I doubt the writer bothered to know any of this. Most people writing Dr. Strange the last decade or so have no idea what an invocation is, or who Watoomb is, but that would be an interesting seed for a future story, someone like Sebastian having to come to terms with having flamed out far too young, and fall back on 'trained' magic and invocations, since he ran the tank dry on big splashy (ill-advised) tricks in his first few years as a magician, having been 'trained' by fools like SHIELD who knew crap all about magic, and wanted big splashy tricks *now* and cared nothing for the long-term consequences (since they could just abandon Sebastian when he was used up, and move on to the next impressionable young eager-to-please and poorly-informed magical prodigy).

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Well, first off, I think it's a mistake when these kinda blue-collar supervillains like the Wrecking Crew and the Absorbing Man and whatnot who go to jail all the time get charged with more serious crimes than robbing banks and the like. Yes, they can kill and blah blah, but no like, dead schoolbuses like Paul Jenkins tried to blame the Wrecking Crew for in that post-Siege Sentry thing.
    Tbh, Wrecking Crew were portrayed as mass murderers several times. In Fantastic Four #355 Wrecker pretty much killed a building full of people. In Omega Flight the Crew murdered a bar full of people. Pretty sure there were other examples.

But yeah, the disparity between villain portrayals under different writers (Wrecker being portrayed as a monster in some appearances, while also being portrayed sympathetically in others, like in Deadpool 33.1, stuff like that) is confusing and baffling.

To be honest, I completely forgot about it too. Probably because for the most part nobody remembers Secret Warriors aside from when Quake pops up or I think Druid appeared in a War of the Realms tie-in.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Frankly, there were a few crappy things in Secret Warriors. Like Nick Fury forcing Sebastian Druid to go on boot camp because appearantly a non-physical power needs you to have the classic superhero bodybuilder bodytype.
    They need to, in a world where you never know who could negate your powers.
    When their power fail, Cyclops or Shadowcat can still hold their own against some average goons.
    When Druid's power fails him, he can barely hold his own againts a climb.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    And then he got to be Quake's boyfriend, because that's what happens. You lose the weight and get a hot bod, and then the girls just fall over with their legs in the air. Ugh. Terrible message.

Also kind of interesting from a stance of someone who knows how magic was supposed to work in the Marvel Universe. He's theoretically got trained power, personal power and invoked power available. He's not using trained power (which tends to manifest similar to telepathy, etc.), since the cyborg who trained him knew bupkiss about that. He's not using invoked power from extra-dimensional sources, because we don't hear him calling out to the Faltines or Cytorrak or Ikonn or Watoomb when he casts his spells. So he's just using his personal power, which is entirely generated within his life-energy, and restores itself *very* slowly, if at all. Every big trick that the cyborg idiot had him do was permanently eating up his future power, and if he stuck around with that moron, he'd likely have been a burnt-out husk with not a drop of magic (or life...) left to him.

Now, granted, I doubt the writer bothered to know any of this. Most people writing Dr. Strange the last decade or so have no idea what an invocation is, or who Watoomb is, but that would be an interesting seed for a future story, someone like Sebastian having to come to terms with having flamed out far too young, and fall back on 'trained' magic and invocations, since he ran the tank dry on big splashy (ill-advised) tricks in his first few years as a magician, having been 'trained' by fools like SHIELD who knew crap all about magic, and wanted big splashy tricks *now* and cared nothing for the long-term consequences (since they could just abandon Sebastian when he was used up, and move on to the next impressionable young eager-to-please and poorly-informed magical prodigy).
    Isn't it a rule in the MU that a healthy body is needed to keep using magic without it negatively impacting your health?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Isn't it a rule in the MU that a healthy body is needed to keep using magic without it negatively impacting your health?
    Even characters like Scarlet Witch or Doctor Strange are fit and trained just in case, it never hurts to be able to defend yourself without powers. Not "Shang Chi trained" but enough that Wanda could beat any of us with ease.

Regarding Absorbing Man, if we never see him commit that, we can assume that in that particular crime it was a judicial error.

Mighty Member

I hope it was totally retconned, because making a villain a rapist is the worst thing who can happen to him. He can't come-back. Even if we don't like a vilain, we need to be fascinated by him, but rapist or nazi (that's why Red Skull will never be an A-list villain) it's irredeemable. It's better to be a mass-murderer.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    I hope it was totally retconned, because making a villain a rapist is the worst thing who can happen to him. He can't come-back. Even if we don't like a vilain, we need to be fascinated by him, but rapist or nazi (that's why Red Skull will never be an A-list villain) it's irredeemable. It's better to be a mass-murderer.
    Especially since being a mass murderer, at least in more recent days and years, isn't limited solely to villains or doesn't stop them from having a more heroic turn in the future, which says a lot about how much (or little) importance is ascribed to their victims.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Especially since being a mass murderer, at least in more recent days and years, isn't limited solely to villains or doesn't stop them from having a more heroic turn in the future, which says a lot about how much (or little) importance is ascribed to their victims.
    This is something that always fascinated me in comics (and American pop-culture), if a protagonist rape, slap a woman ,even by accident, kill the wife of the hero or even his dog, it's unforgivable... but if someone like Magneto kill millions on people like in "X-men Apocalypse" or Scarlett Witch at the end of House of M, eh, it happens.

(to be clear I think that rape and mass-murder are equally unforgivable...)
    Last edited by lordozone; 08-11-2019 at 04:26 PM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

BANNED

I remember he kidnapped a woman in the pages of the avengers to have some fun on the road as well (back when he turned into water by diving to escape the avengers i think)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    I remember he kidnapped a woman in the pages of the avengers to have some fun on the road as well (back when he turned into water by diving to escape the avengers i think)
    I really hope that a good writer like Al Ewing will take the time to retcon these stories, or one day a writer will use them for shock-value and will destroy this character forever (like they did with Hank Pym)