Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Arrow

While one should never trivialize sexual assault it might be best in this case if most writers continue to "forget" the incident occurred. Comic Book Companies have a terrible history of dealing with such sensitive subjects.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I know Disney doesn't monitor the comics as much as they do other multimedia properties but it's unlikely this will be portrayed by Creel or another character. Creel's kind of your more Saturday morning cartoon villain. I don't think he even kills (correct me if I'm wrong).

If he was a character more like the Joker I'd think that would be par for the course.
    The J-man

Ultimate Member

I'm okay with writers forgetting crappy plots that are just tossed out with little thought. Anyone else?

"I can excuse the murder of innocent people, but I draw the line at rape": the thread.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Astonishing Member

Didn't know that. According to this, he not only raped her, he killed her too.

Creel has a son (Jerry Sledge), born as a result of Creel raping Jerry's unidentified mother years ago. Creel later killed her, but while trying to prevent this, Sledge gained some of Creel's powers, later becoming covert super-agent Stonewall.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    "I can excuse the murder of innocent people, but I draw the line at rape": the thread.
    What an edge lord

Ultimate Member

Everyone seems to have forgotten Secret Warriors by in large, and IMO, that's for the best.

Nick: I need soldiers no one will see coming! I know, the biological children of super criminals! It's not as if they would be in multiple government databases!

It should be forgotten, none of Creel's characterization since has him capable of doing something like that.

It is definitely interesting though that readers apparently care more about the rape than murder though. Is it because murder is more common in comics so rape is more memorable?

Since when has Secret Warriors been forgotten? Half of Nick Spencer's Marvel bibliography is giving that book the good wank.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayguard View Post
    It should be forgotten, none of Creel's characterization since has him capable of doing something like that.

It is definitely interesting though that readers apparently care more about the rape than murder though. Is it because murder is more common in comics so rape is more memorable?
    Well, it is comics, so it's not like murders don't get undone *monthly.* "Didn't I kill you? Twice?" "I got better."

I mean, really, do you think anyone could go to jail for killing, say, Wolverine? "Your honor, Creed confessed. He was bragging about it. And we've got forty witnesses. And that floating green turd-thing got it on videotape!" "The defense calls... Wolverine! Clearly, NOT murdered!"

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Even characters like Scarlet Witch or Doctor Strange are fit and trained just in case, it never hurts to be able to defend yourself without powers. Not "Shang Chi trained" but enough that Wanda could beat any of us with ease.

Regarding Absorbing Man, if we never see him commit that, we can assume that in that particular crime it was a judicial error.
    She can't beat me.

:seriousface:

Seriously though how could any of these heroes defend themselves against a world class boxer in a foul mood if their powers suddenly stopped working?lol

Doom has raped someone (probably several someones). no one seems to care.

https://www.cbr.com/remember-to-forg...-peasant-girl/

note the expression on her face

Last edited by Michael Watkins; 08-12-2019 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayguard View Post

because rape involves murdering part of another individual and making them live with that damage.

hating rape more then murder is not uncommon. When I was in prison there were two fellow inmates. One killed two kids in a dui the other raped a 29 year old. Both arrived in the prison at roughly the same The dui drive got more respect then the rapist. The Rapist was beaten and assaulted more then once while the Dui driver quickly made friends and no one Bothered him. I was baffled that killing kids was more accepted then a sex crime but there it is. And it was not uncommon. Drug dealers who sold drugs to kids got a free pass over rapists.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

It's kind of weird when you look at rape vs murder portrayal in media. I' not really advocating either portrayal in media. Sexual violence is always stomach-churning to me.

However, I get the argument that you have certain characters who are serial killers or guilty of mass murder especially in the mainstream comic medium, but somehow rape is too far or a line they wouldn't cross. Yet if it was real life one probably wouldn't be that surprised if they were also a rapist.

Killing someone can have different circumstances. Self-defense, maybe the victim is someone people don't sympathize with, etc. So I get people having different reactions or stances to murder. Whereas psychology says rape is often a twisted power fantasy or born from past abuse. Either way, there are few reasons to rape someone and no one really sympathizes or empathizes with a rapist regardless of reasoning.

Then selling drugs is on an entirely different level beyond that because a dealer generally not forcing people to use them, although you might be praying on peoples vulnerabilities and insecurities. Unless your the pharmaceutical industry just getting people hooked on opioids or other terrible side effects.

So culturally it is interesting that rape is usually still taboo in media but murder is less so. I could wrong but I actually think rape's even more taboo then it was. They use to plop more portrayals in horror films especially the lower budget edgy ones. Now I don't think that's the case.
    Last edited by Jabare; 08-12-2019 at 06:54 AM.
    The J-man