Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    The idea that Mala shouldn't be Indian...? Why must Mala be or look like an Indian or anyone, but, who she already is? Wonder Woman is often depicted, as bronze or olive-skinned and Mediterranean-looking; in context, she makes the once all-white Amazons visually, if not racially, ..diverse. What harm is caused by her most trusted friend, since the Golden Age, being blond and white? Mala is fine, as she is.

Amazons are Amazons...not Sudanese (Nubians), Indians or white Macedonians. They can and should look like everybody.

I can understand how introducing new, non-white-looking characters and giving them important things to do in the comic can racially diversify how stories are presented. If Mala faded into the BG, as Nigerian-looking Oya is shown acting in her stead, somehow, ..where's the harm? I think that can be inclusive, adding to what is already there, ..and, at least, Mala can come back. Expunging the WW comic or the Amazons of white-looking characters, like Mala, ..isn't real diversity.

I think that, if any long-standing WW fan wants to drop the comic, because the leading lady's friend is a white woman, ..we've got some very serious problems.
    Well this entire comment is a leap of logic worthy of the Incredible Hulk. Who said anything about dropping the comic because Mala was white? Who said anything about expunging the comic of white characters? You say Amazons should look like everybody but apparently everybody looks like a blonde white woman?

And no Diana is not often depicted with olive skin as a quick Google search will show. Not that an olive skinned white woman counts as racial diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well this entire comment is a leap of logic worthy of the Incredible Hulk. Who said anything about dropping the comic because Mala was white? Who said anything about expunging the comic of white characters? You say Amazons should look like everybody but apparently everybody looks like a blonde white woman?

And no Diana is not often depicted with olive skin as a quick Google search will show. Not that an olive skinned white woman counts as racial diversity.
    It's good to know that us Southern Europeans are conflated with the northern ones so easily. I'll try to remember it when racist depiction of us as lazy, sleazy and good for nothing will come out from Britain, Germany and other northern Europeans countries...

Seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It's good to know that us Southern Europeans are conflated with the northern ones so easily. I'll try to remember it when racist depiction of us as lazy, sleazy and good for nothing will come out from Britain, Germany and other northern Europeans countries...

Seriously...
    According to the internet if you're white, there's no difference among you.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    According to the internet if you're white, there's no difference among you.
    The web isn't the real world, though. There are social circles in the Western world, where Mediterraneans, Semitic people and some North Africans, while Caucasian, are not considered fully white. Furthermore, they sometimes face discrimination, because of it.

You're talking about race-swapping important white-looking characters, for non-white-looking characters. Depending on how large a percentage of race-swapping you intend ..or what characters you would target, you are arguing for the expunging of established white characters from the WW comic. Call it whatever you like, but, that's most certainly what it is, and I don't see the harm in putting it out in the open, where we can all discuss it.

I can support racial and multi-cultural diversity. I think diversity is and should be inclusive, and not exclusive - in practice. I think multi-cultural diversity, as applied to movies and books, should add or include the representation of previously excluded or ignored groups in an artistic/literary work, ..creating a more diverse representation of people, who consume the works, concerned. In other words, people - all people - who buy comics or go to movies, should, where possible, be given the opportunity to see their unique racial or cultural reality represented in the art they consume. Furthermore, I think it should be presented, as an opportunity, and NOT as mandate.

I don't see how presenting Mala, as a stereo-typically optimistic, white-looking blond hurts anything in a comic, with a black, lesbian aide de camp ..and a Mediterranean, transgender god. I don't see the harm in allowing writers to create a brand new, non-white companion for Wonder Woman - a totally new and different Amazon - who picks up, where Mala leaves off, ..adding to the WW comic's colorful canon of supporting characters.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-29-2019 at 04:41 PM. Reason: clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

You're talking about race-swapping important white-looking characters, for non-white-looking characters. Depending on how large a percentage of race-swapping you intend ..or what characters you would target, you are arguing for the expunging of established white characters from the WW comic. Call it whatever you like, but, that's most certainly what it is, and I don't see the harm in putting it out in the open, where we can all discuss it.
    I pointed out that Mala is a character whose name is of Indian origin and who could easily work as a character of Indian origin. She is the only white character I have even suggested race swapping in this thread (and calling her important is debatable at best given her overall absence from the books for decades).
    And this:
    The idea that Mala shouldn't be Indian...? Why must Mala be or look like an Indian or anyone, but, who she already is? Wonder Woman is often depicted, as bronze or olive-skinned and Mediterranean-looking; in context, she makes the once all-white Amazons visually, if not racially, ..diverse. What harm is caused by her most trusted friend, since the Golden Age, being blond and white? Mala is fine, as she is.

Amazons are Amazons...not Sudanese (Nubians), Indians or white Macedonians. They can and should look like everybody.

I can understand how introducing new, non-white-looking characters and giving them important things to do in the comic can racially diversify how stories are presented. If Mala faded into the BG, as Nigerian-looking Oya is shown acting in her stead, somehow, ..where's the harm? I think that can be inclusive, adding to what is already there, ..and, at least, Mala can come back. Expunging the WW comic or the Amazons of white-looking characters, like Mala, ..isn't real diversity.

I think that, if any long-standing WW fan wants to drop the comic, because the leading lady's friend is a white woman, ..we've got some very serious problems.
    Is not harmlessly pointing something out to be discussed. This is you accusing me of wanting to drop the WW book because she’s friends a with a white woman and wanting to expunge the WW book of white looking characters is as far from harmless as you can get. I said neither of these things. You came to that conclusion all on your own.

I don't see how presenting Mala, as a stereo-typically optimistic, white-looking blond hurts anything in a comic, with a black, lesbian aide de camp ..and a Mediterranean, transgender god. I don't see the harm in allowing writers to create a brand new, non-white companion for Wonder Woman - a totally new and different Amazon - who picks up, where Mala leaves off, ..adding to the WW comic's colorful canon of supporting characters.
    And I don’t see why depicting Mala as Indian along side a black Etta and a transgender god is going too far or expunging the WW franchise of white characters. I certainly don’t recall asking for Steve, Cassie, Diana or Hippolyta to leave.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-23-2019 at 06:05 AM.

I can support racial and multi-cultural diversity. I think diversity is and should be inclusive, and not exclusive - in practice. I think multi-cultural diversity, as applied to movies and books, should add or include the representation of previously excluded or ignored groups in an artistic/literary work, ..creating a more diverse representation of people, who consume the works, concerned.
    Okay. And how do you square this with being against an Indian Mala? Because, from where I’m standing, there is no shortage of blonde white female characters in superhero comics. The WW books have had at least three in total not counting Mala.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-23-2019 at 02:52 AM.

Okay. And how do you square this with being against an Indian Mala? Because, from where I’m standing, there is no shortage of blonde white female characters in superhero comics. The WW books have had at least three in total not counting Mala.
    I didn't mean to hijack your thread, Z. I've said my bit, and I think you made some very good points.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Congrats to Nubia getting a book and to an indigenous Amazon in the form of Yara. here's to hoping for more racial diversity in WW.

Congrats to Nubia getting a book and to an indigenous Amazon in the form of Yara. here's to hoping for more racial diversity in WW.
    The new EiC also mentioned liking Nubia reading comics growing up so hopefully more stuff in the future beyond what the Future State stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    The new EiC also mentioned liking Nubia reading comics growing up so hopefully more stuff in the future beyond what the Future State stuff.
    That's good news.

Incredible Member

I'm ecstatic about both. As I've said before on this board, Wonder Woman is a worldwide hero to me, so her supporting cast and villains should be just as diverse as the world.

I like your idea of Mala as Indian, and I would also love to see some of the Villainy Inc. members reimaged as different ethnicities and races, as well.

I hope both Nubia and Yara become incredibly successful.

The original set up had a lot of things that were far less plausible than racial diversity.
    What was the original set up? I know Perez did the well of souls thing but what was the set up before that?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    What was the original set up? I know Perez did the well of souls thing but what was the set up before that?
    As I said before

The original comics never explained where they came from in any real detail and the reboot have them as women who were raised from the dead so there isn't any reason why they'd all or mostly be white. Even if they'd come from Greece, not everyone in Greece was white due to immigration, trade and slavery. The Amazons being racially diverse isn't close to the strangest thing about them.

Perhaps, the Amazons should just show up, looking like different races or involuntarily mutate, from one race to another, as one of their many imagined, mystical powers. This could be a glorious side-effect of living with the Purple Ray! I'm imagining a scene, where Diana returns to Paradise island to find that Mala, now, looks like an Indian woman, ..and both being amused, excited and delighted by it--even feeling blessed by it, as Mala is so notoriously optimistic.

I think they would laugh, like little girls, and we would laugh with them! The right writer would make us happy for Mala and excited about what undreamt of new destiny this transformation was portent to.

I am also excited about the creation of Yara, who happens to be indigenous, South American. She comes to us, without swapping out beloved characters, who happen to be or look black, white or Asian - Euboea, Nubia, Io. That, to me, feels like how true diversity in comics should work.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 11-10-2020 at 11:36 PM. Reason: clarity

Perhaps, the Amazons should just show up, looking like different races or involuntarily mutate from one race to another, as one of their magical powers. This could be a glorious side-effect of the Purple Ray. I'm imagining a scene, where Diana returns to Paradise island to find that Mala, now, looks like an Indian woman, ..and both being amused, excited and delighted by it--even feeling blessed by it, as Mala is so notoriously optimistic.

I think they would laugh, like little girls, and we would laugh with them! The right writer would make us happy for Mala and excited about what undreamt of new destiny this transformation was portent to.
    I cannot emphasize how this would be a profoundly horrible idea especially in light of Psylocke and real life context of Rachel Dolezal.