Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
If you're including me in that, I've never said the Amazons should welcome men to their island. But look at their history; yes they're a flawed imperfect people and that's not a bad thing. I think the flaws in their society are pretty clear, honestly. I mean, how can anyone *not* see them?
Not everyone is on the same scale on how they think the Amazons should be depicted and how to handle them, that's why I said "tendency".

Because I don't view the Amazons refusal to let men to their island (possibly outside very circrumscribed situations) as a flaw. A flaw implies an error or something that should be fixed. But from the viewpoint of the Amazons, it is Man's World that is far more deeply flawed.

To add to what Tzigone said in 115, within science fiction and related fields (and superhero comics is part of those) there is a long tradition of creating expies for various real-world conflicts. Mutants as an analogy for either queerness or racism; blue-skinned aliens instead of black people, all-female societies instead of patriarchy. They have usually been defended as ways to explore the corresponding real-world issue. But I think experience has shown that they fail at that. Instead of teaching the reader how to see and understand racism or homophobia or patriarchy, they learn how to externalise or even confirm their own biases.

To put it another way, you cannot discuss patriarchy via the Amazons by making all the discussion about the Amazons about men, because it places them in an androcentric narrative context. Instead of really examining their society (which some writers have done, like Simone in The Circle), it becomes All About The Men.