Thread: Steve

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Steve

Writers have had trouble with Steve. What can they do to make him interesting? I mean come on. Your telling me that with all the time Steve and Diana spend he wouldnÂ’t have give knowledge on certain magical things or Diana teaching Steve to fight like a amazon? Steve using any magical weapon to try at least fight some of her foes. We can get a good version of Steve itÂ’s happened.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What can they do to make him interesting?
    Giving him a personality would be a good start.

I think the key to making Steve work isn't in his skillset but in his personality.

He's already a badass soldier who's worked with Argus and the League. Sure, some Amazon training would make him even more effective and unique and there's definitely some appeal to a "military battle mage" sort of direction, but that's not gonna get you very far outside of action sequences.

No, what Steve really needs is character development. We need to see what his hobbies are, what his favorite music/food/vacation spot is. We need to see what he does when he's not at work and not with Diana. Does he play an instrument? Does he like art? Play video games? Baseball? Hunting? Fishing? How does he fill his hours? We need to see his family and friends, his own supporting cast beyond Diana (the Oddfellows are a great start, but again, tied up in Steve's military aspects). We need to know what his character traits are; what are his flaws, his goals, his hopes, his virtues, etc, and those need to go beyond the basic archetypes of "love interest" and "good soldier."

And all of that takes time to develop, especially when comics these days spend more time on the main plot and action and less time on the characters' down time.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

One thing in the early days is he did like cooking, did like working with children. He loved to travel and work with people. The two best example of Steve are movie Steve and LoWW. He is wide eye, adventurous, quick to act. His flaws could be he is also loyal to his job at times despite what the military has done. Now outside of military flaws can be who be truth and maybe he is bias toward certain things not something racist just a little bias. Something like when he works with his sister he often he is bias towards the softball team because he has trained his niece
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 08-11-2019 at 08:14 AM.

One thing in the early days is he did like cooking, did like working with children. He loved to travel and work with people. The two best example of Steve are movie Steve and LoWW. He is wide eye, adventurous, quick to act. His flaws could be he is also loyal to his job at times despite what the military has done. Now outside of military flaws can be who be truth and maybe he is bias toward certain things not something racist just a little bias. Something like when he works with his sister he often he is bias towards the softball team because he has trained his niece
    I definitely think the idea of Steve being a spy works well in conjunction with Diana's whole "truth" shtick. It works for creating tension between them since they view the world differently (and the movie played on that very well). But as important as it is for Steve to have traits, hobbies, and beliefs that compliment and/or challenge Diana's, he also needs opinions and views that aren't based on how they'll impact his girlfriend but are "his" alone. If that makes sense?

Back in the day, a lot of his hobbies (like cooking) seemed to be taking female social roles (keeping in mind the era these were written) and putting them on a guy. And honestly I think that still works today, just to a much lesser extent. It's not weird anymore for a guy to enjoy cooking or taking care of kids. But it does add to his character and it does play against traditional gender roles, which might not be as firmly set as they once were but are still in the public consciousness, and that helps balance his "military alpha male" archetype and makes him a little more rounded.

But I think you need to go further than that too. Steve can't just be a soldier who likes "womanly" things. What's his favorite sport? Does he care about sports at all? Who's his favorite team? Does he have an eye for art or an ear for music? Does he pay attention to politics or does he just follow orders? What are his political views? Is he left, right, or centrist? Stuff like that, which is "gender neutral" needs to be included too, I think.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Maybe he is a baseball and basketball type of guy. He like classical, jazz, rocks and blues kind of guy. He tries to be neutral on political views. But hates when the military or government going after the innocent people despite being illegals l. Maybe another big thing is his religious views

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Giving him a personality would be a good start.
    Word.

Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

All-New Member

Writers have had trouble with Steve. What can they do to make him interesting? I mean come on. Your telling me that with all the time Steve and Diana spend he wouldnÂ’t have give knowledge on certain magical things or Diana teaching Steve to fight like a amazon? Steve using any magical weapon to try at least fight some of her foes. We can get a good version of Steve itÂ’s happened.
    The thing is, I don't want Steve to use magic or fight like an Amazon. Anyone who's asking for that is falling into the same old trap of wanting to "power him up" to either make him more "interesting" or "deserving" of Diana. I think he functions just fine as a non-magical mortal. There are so few relationships with female superheroes and civilian male love interests as it is, and I enjoy Diana and Steve's dynamic as it is. I also don't want Diana to train him to "fight like an Amazon". He's a man. He's never going to be an Amazon, and shouldn't fight like them. Instead, Diana should save that training for one of her female proteges.

But wouldn't that should a bridge being built? I mean the amazons weren't just women but men to. The Amazons did have spouses.

All-New Member

But wouldn't that should a bridge being built? I mean the amazons weren't just women but men to. The Amazons did have spouses.
    Are you referring to the Nu52? Wasn't the majority of the Nu52 WW mythos retconned out of existence?

Anyway, my point still stands. The Amazons are a race of warrior women who in some iterations (Post-Crisis, Rebirth, Legend of WW) are the reincarnated spirits of women who died by men's hands. In Pre-Crisis there was a whole deal with Hippolyta getting tricked by Heracles into giving up her golden girdle (hence her apprehension of Steve and Diana falling for him). Marston even created an origin story for the Bracelets of Submission: The Amazons were women enslaved by men who eventually broke free and founded their own women-only society, but kept wearing the bracelets as a reminder to never allow men's dominance over them, or they lose their power. With such a radical origin story, it's hard for me to believe men belong anywhere among the ranks of Amazons. The "Sons of Themyscira" thing is some serious BS.

I do believe Amazons can still be champions of truth and justice and build a bridge to Man's World (in some versions, that is exactly WW's role, to serve as their Ambassador). But to allow men to live and train like the Amazons? That's a hard no.

And no, the Amazons are definitely, 100% originally created as an all women club. No men there. Steve Trevor is already an honorary citizen or whatever. No need to take it any further than that IMO.
    Last edited by TheAnn; 09-13-2019 at 07:23 AM.

In the animated movie. I don't know. What would be wrong if the amazons yes we're all women? But was an egalitarian society. Men started living there too. It wasn't just a women’s city or country. There were men soldiers fighting as Amazonian soldiers?

actually in Marston’s they didn't lose their powers rather go into a rage mode. I think that can be returned.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnn View Post
    do believe Amazons can still be champions of truth and justice and build a bridge to Man's World (in some versions, that is exactly WW's role, to serve as their Ambassador). But to allow men to live and train like the Amazons? That's a hard no.
    I gotta agree. I really don't think that works. I mean, in a lot of versions isn't Diana's mission to spread Amazon philosophy among mankind? Because our ways aren't good enough? Themyscria is not comfortable with Man's World, in a lot of versions they get involved with us because they don't have a choice, and I imagine training a man in their ways would be seen as sacrilege of the highest order.

Beyond that....I like to think that Steve's capable enough on his own. He'd definitely benefit from learning some moves, but he's a highly trained soldier; he should already be a pretty damn good fighter. Not Batman or anything, but still very capable. Some Amazon training would help but it's probably not going to make a huge, drastic change where he's capable of taking on Killer Croc in a brawl. Nor *should* it; Steve's not meant to be super human. I think that while the Amazon fighting style has superior technique, the real difference between an Amazon soldier and a human one is the amount of time they've trained. Amazons have spent centuries learning to fight, humans have mere decades. Learning the Amazon technique is not going to make Steve as capable as an Amazon.

I wouldn't be against Diana giving Steve a weapon or two, something to give him a edge; an enchanted pistol or Amazonian blade or shield. That's be one thing. Sharing the secrets of a culture built on the bones of male violence? Might as well spit in Hera's eye.

~ Black Panther.

I mean shouldn't that also share she trued Steve? The Amazons aren't perfect either. I kind of wondered what if the Amazons are given a choice? That the gods didn't influence it? That a few amazons voiced enough of the Amazons staying on the Island?