Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve

......Im drawing a total blank on what Perez did. Been a very, very long time since I read any of his WW run. Refresh my memory?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Diana Trevor(Steve’s mom) much like her son crashed landed. She helped the Amazons fight doing the doom gate and died. Due to this Hippolyta names Diana due to Steve’s mom

Oh yeah, that's ringing a bell now, thanks for the reminder.

Yeah, hard pass from me on that. I generally dislike it when connections are retroactively added into a character's backstory. I tend to really hate the whole "Oh, you thought it was this, but all these years you never knew it was actually that!" or the "here's the childhood friend you've never heard of before who was always there but somehow off-panel and now they're a villain! Oh noes!" stuff.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The only reason why I said that is I actually think it would be nice not to have Diana name after a God but someone the Amazons respect. But yea. Also, I do think Steve should hold his own on some of Diana's foe. Maybe even surprise Cheetah a few times. Not winning but just hold his own. For example, Diana gave Steve some of her magical items. He trains with them and uses them on her. I mean what if Steve uses the atlas sandals or a few others.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Giving him a personality would be a good start.
    Word.

Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

It's difficult to give a supporting character long-lasting development in today's stories, especially since Wonder Woman hasn't been given a strong foundation compared to the other two in the trinity of heroes. They keep half-assing Diana's development, so they'll do even worse with Steve.

So far rebirth has avoid the trope of rebooting her every time a new writer comes in

Delete post
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 08-20-2019 at 07:58 AM.

If Steve is to be a conservative. What would some of his views be? Especially if it’s to conflict with Diana’s?

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve never known a conservative with a personality I’ve liked personally

I’d start with the qualities that Diana admires in him and go from there. He’s a normal human willing to fight for noble causes. Superman does the same thing, but Steve has the edge over him because he doesn’t have super powers. Unfortunately, that doesn’t do much to differentiate him from someone like Batman, who also doesn’t have super powers (plot armor notwithstanding). Steve doesn’t have the wealth, the high level knowledge of various academics or fighting styles, and isn’t the playboy the ladies lust after. How would you make him different than that?

I want the focus on Steve to be that people in the future more naturally associate he and Diana as an item, rather than pursuing wonderbat or superwonder ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    Unfortunately, that doesn’t do much to differentiate him from someone like Batman, who also doesn’t have super powers (plot armor notwithstanding). Steve doesn’t have the wealth, the high level knowledge of various academics or fighting styles, and isn’t the playboy the ladies lust after. How would you make him different than that?
    Ummm...no. Just no.

Women don't 'lust after the guy who has money and sleeps around.' Guys want to *be* that guy (Batman), but for women? That's a male fantasy that women really 'want' that kind of man.

Batman is a dark, paranoid brooding man who is obsessed with justice to the point that he neglects his normal life. Steve couldn't be more different as he's generally shown as being the 'average man who became a hero.' If you were to compare him to another hero, Captain America is more on the right track. He's much more positive and upbeat, doing what he can to help others despite the obvious risk to himself *without* all the armor/toys/vehicles that Batman uses.

Batman doesn't leave time for a love life while Steve makes the time for Diana. He genuinely cares for her and loves her and doesn't bury his feelings in his obsessions and gruff, don't-give-a-damn personality.

Given a choice between a wealthy playboy or a compassionate monogamous hero? It's the nice guy every time

I wonder if we want Steve to be more flesh out, his family needs to come back. He had a sister and a niece. His hobbies outside of the military were cooking and helping children. We need more of him just interacting with normal people. I still think him learning Amazonian training would be nice. The first man in modern history.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    If Steve is to be a conservative. What would some of his views be? Especially if it’s to conflict with Diana’s?
    I posted a bit on the idea of Steve as a conservative on the first page....but views that conflict with Diana's?

I imagine if Steve were a fan of small, non-intrusive government that would likely seem very odd and counter-intuitive to Diana. Her background as the heir of a matriarchy, and the way her mother ran the Island, probably leaves her feeling that rulers/leaders should involve themselves in their subject's day-to-day to ensure their lives are productive and happy. Steve's desire for government to stay out of everyone's lives would definitely put them at odds on the topic.

I've never given Diana's thoughts on abortion any consideration at all, but just as a knee-jerk reaction I'd guess she's pro-choice, due to women's rights if nothing else (not to mention the multitude of complex, unique, and personal reasons a person might have to go through this...but I may be projecting my bias here). If Steve followed the conservative line on the issue that'd put them at odds there too.

Given that most Amazons are trained in combat I don't see Diana having a problem with the 2nd, though she and Steve might disagree about where, precisely, you draw the line with gun control. But I see both of them being *mostly* in agreement on the issue; people should be able to defend themselves but some kind of control needs to be put in place to keep weapons out of the wrong hands. Still, they could likely argue about the details, whether the issue actually is a mental health problem, etc.

If Steve lands close to the current party line he and Diana may also disagree about wealth inequality and the rights of the poor. Diana, obviously, is all about charity and lifting others up, and while Steve is too he might be a little closer to "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" than our incredibly compassionate Diana. However, like with gun control I suspect these two would agree with each other in large part, and just disagree on the specifics.

Given her connection and reverence for nature climate change *could* be a point of contention between Diana and Steve too.....but I don't think Steve is stupid enough to deny it's happening.

~ Black Panther.

Going with golden age Steve he did a lot of charity work also. With the wealthy, I feel both of them should fall in the same line. That there is too much of it. Just how to stop that. I agree at first with climate change until Steve is in a situation. Maybe he went somewhere has a kid but comes back and due to climate change, much of what he loved is ruined. If we being the advance amazonian tech than Diana would know how the amazons use tech only has last option or just to harm never to kill.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 08-22-2019 at 10:04 PM.

The Steve in the 2017 film said, in response to Diana asking him why he was fighting in World War I, that he had 'tried doing nothing', and that it didn't work for him.

Was he the scion of a wealthy American family, who had left behind a life of leisure, a paradise of the capitalist sort, ..to confront evil in the larger world? Was it an American dynasty with dark secrets in its past? Was this Steve's family profiting from the manufacture of weapons, being used in the war, ..and what did that compel Steve to do? What or whom in Steve Trevor's backstory makes him want to believe in angels - corrupt father, brother, mother? In that moment, there was the suggestion of depth and of history...just a suggestion, but brilliantly done!

I think the Steve in the comic needs a similar backstory and motivation. Is 'Steve Trevor' (it can't be) even his real name? Might it be Cale, Domaine, Rich ..or Brilyant? What context (meaning) does Steve's backstory set up for his relationship, with Diana? Might there be a brother, who happens to be a sinister industrialist, big-game hunter, politician or high-ranking military official? Might Steve and his brother be rivals or enemies? Steve needs a backstory for the comics...

Cuz he's wa-aay boring, right now.

In defining Steve, it might help to bring back Keith Griggs, who was his rival in the 1970s. Keith liked Diana's smart, resourceful secret ID, preferring her company to Wonder Woman's.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-23-2019 at 03:51 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!