Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve

Other than the film reason. Why should Steve want to join the military? Should he just come from a family or rather he feels he can make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Other than the film reason. Why should Steve want to join the military? Should he just come from a family or rather he feels he can make a difference?
    I'd personally avoid the over-used "military family" troupe. And I wouldn't go with some noble reason either; no sense of duty or serving his country or anything. I'd give Steve a "real" reason for joining, one that is more in-line with most soldier's reasons.

You could say he joined for college money (I'd perhaps make him an aspiring art major, or something else not considered alpha male macho) but once he's in the service he decides he likes it and abandons his ideas of being an artist/whatever.

Perhaps he joined to learn a trade, but quickly ended up doing more exotic things than mechanic work or filing papers in an office?

My personal favorite is that Steve just wanted to travel and see the world. That plays into his adventurous spirit, he ends up getting more than he bargained for when he crashes onto the Island, and it's one of the most common reasons I've heard for people to sign up (though that was twenty years ago, who knows why people join today?).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I don't understand why so many people want to nerf Steve and make him softer and gentler? How does that add anything to the mythos? The Wonder Woman book should challenge conventions and preconceived notions. He's best as a he-man master spy/soldier that's completely comfortable with a woman more powerful than him, someone with a noble soul and progressive political leanings normally reserved for an artist or poet. It's that dichotomy that makes him interesting. That said he shouldn't be constantly tied to Wonder Woman, he should appear in several books as head of A.R.G.U.S. and be DC's premier expert on espionage and the superhero community.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't understand why so many people want to nerf Steve and make him softer and gentler? How does that add anything to the mythos? The Wonder Woman book should challenge conventions and preconceived notions. He's best as a he-man master spy/soldier that's completely comfortable with a woman more powerful than him, someone with a noble soul and progressive political leanings normally reserved for an artist or poet. It's that dichotomy that makes him interesting. That said he shouldn't be constantly tied to Wonder Woman, he should appear in several books as head of A.R.G.U.S. and be DC's premier expert on espionage and the superhero community.
    Agreed. What should be his skills? Not just his military skills but in general. I mean DC forgets many times Steve is a full character. He has likes and dislikes. I mean what should he get from being around the Amazons and Diana? One thing that also forgets is despite Diana being stronger than him/ How should Steve deal with Diana's stronger rogues? If Diana couldn't get there in time. I wouldn't mind at times Steve can somewhat slow the enemy down.

I think he was in Event Leviathan, so there's that. At least he showed up somewhere that kinda gives him something to do other than wait around for Diana to come home.

I keep thinking. What if one reason is because Steve felt protesting wasn’t enough? That Steve went to join the US military was to also fight corruption in the US military? Yea he wanted to see the world. I also feel due to this he should know some languages

I keep thinking. What if one reason is because Steve felt protesting wasn’t enough? That Steve went to join the US military was to also fight corruption in the US military? Yea he wanted to see the world. I also feel due to this he should know some languages
    That would explain his switching branches, he wanted to make as many changes from within as he could.

Should Steve make any changes to what branches he is in? Maybe he joined Argus not only because he is one of the best but also to keep an eye on Waller?

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

What teams do you guys think Steve would fit well in?

Astonishing Member

I agree. To broaden his appeal this is the way to go. To do the opposite would make him an even more difficult character for fans to latch on to. This is very similar to the way Pine portrayed him in the movie. He seemed pretty capable on his own, but also had no hangups about letting a woman he knows is far more powerful than he is take the lead.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

He started off has a air pilot. So how long should he be that until he goes to argus? Or should he already be in training to be a Argus members?

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    What teams do you guys think Steve would fit well in?
    I liked him as the Argus liaison to the League. Seemed a valid position for him where he could make a difference and get in on some of the action without stepping completely up into "super human" realms of badassery.

But I'd be quite satisfied if Steve was used as the "face" of Argus (or whatever military group he's a part of). Whenever Argus shows up in any book, it should be Steve on the page. That'd help expand his exposure and apparent importance in the DCU. When things go sideways and the government has to send soldiers in to secure a situation, Steve's the guy they send because they know he can navigate those waters.

He started off has a air pilot. So how long should he be that until he goes to argus? Or should he already be in training to be a Argus members?
    Depends on how Argus recruits I suppose. Are they like other special forces groups who recruit from the standard branches? If so Steve could have a solid career as a pilot before joining Argus. But if Argus is more like a "regular" branch he could have joined up straight out of high school.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think maybe it’s better if it’s specialize branch. To deal with the JL. JSA was a bit different. But due to many heroes the government has wanted to check. So Argus is both serves as a ally and balance. Steve due to hanging out with Diana can handle that well

I think maybe it’s better if it’s specialize branch. To deal with the JL. JSA was a bit different. But due to many heroes the government has wanted to check. So Argus is both serves as a ally and balance. Steve due to hanging out with Diana can handle that well
    I'd handle Argus as less a counter specifically to the League and more as just a response to super humanity in general. Like, when people started to use boats, nations developed a navy. When people started to fly, we built an air force. When people start getting powers capable of blowing up buildings, nations respond by building new military structures to compensate and counter that. Yeah, Argus has plans and runs war games to prepare for a League gone evil, but what if Dr. Polaris decides to attack Portland, Oregon? No heroes live there. So the US sends in Argus. When the skies go Crisis red, Argus is deployed around the country to help deal with looting, riots, panic, medical care, etc. They're "the army as a superhero" yknow?

~ Black Panther.

Makes sense. In this regrade. The fact Steve is working with Diana. It makes me wonder. How much on magic should he know? I mean with the Amazons knowledge how much should Steve being into on healing or other things?