Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Does X-23's relative popularity mean there's demand for a young mutant team book?
    Pretty sure it indicates people like Wolverine in drag.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    I don't know if the set-up needs to be students, but I do think Young X-Men in training might work well.

There seems to be quite a fan-base for former New X-men stars like Surge, Hellion, Dust, Armor, Pixie, Anole and Rockslide.
    But also others like Glob Herman, mercury and even Indra seem to have fans. So I think a set-up a la New Mutants used to be, might work perfectly. This current generation needs their own generation of X-Men, just like the New Mutants and Gen X generation got theirs.
    Mercury is actually from New X-Men as well. Armor is NOT (she's from Astonishing X-Men from the same era). She only joined the team in Messiah Complex, just before the book was cancelled.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Mercury is actually from New X-Men as well. Armor is NOT (she's from Astonishing X-Men from the same era). She only joined the team in Messiah Complex, just before the book was cancelled.
    Armor wasn’t really in the book but she’s still a part of that generation.

Fantastic Member

The Kyle/host New X-Men do have exp fighting Nimrod, maybe they’ll be in wave 2?!?
    Pls Surge, Mercury, and Dust

Fantastic Member

I know I'd like to see the former New Xmen/Academy X kids have their own squad. Seeing all that they went thru I'd say they should strike out on their own with the premise of stopping and preventing problems before they start. Seeing Hickman's use of Destiny solidified even further my thoughts of maybe using Blindfold to be the catalyst using her visions to give the team missions if you will. The team would be: Hellion. Surge. Dust. Mercury. Rockslide. Anole. X23. Pixie

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    What are you trying to say X-23 is an example of?

Does X-23's relative popularity mean there's demand for a young mutant team book?
    Marvel leadership 1 :Teen books don't sell "well".
    Marvel leadership 2 :Let's put X-23 in it to boost the sales. She is our most popular teen character. We should build around her
    Marvel leadership 1 : Nah (that would be making effort to sell), Let's think of another idea
    Marvel leadership 2 : How about using Prodigy,Surge, Hellion, Anole, Pixie who pretty good last time and Maybe some of the other popular choices like Armor or Oya. Some combination these characters should sell well
    Marvel leadership 1 : I have a better idea what about Eyeboy, Morph, Hindsight, Nature Girl, Bling and Quire
    Marvel leadership 2 : Sigh whatever okay let's put Wolverine or Cyclops as mentor and put them as one of the main book to show fans we are serious about the characters.We had solid sales with that set up before
    Marvel leadership 1 : Nah I have a better idea instead of Wolverine or Cyclops or Big name X-man, We are going to use Jubilee and Chamber. And instead of Main book we are going to call it Gen-X
    Marvel leadership 1 : I have no idea why teens book don't sell

People are throwing out the case teen books don't sell but the books have been a set up for failure .Only Bendis young 05 team used X-23 over that decade period plus you mentioned. I am fine with books not selling with Champions I can at least say they gave their best effort. With X-men that is not the case they have been two things that have work for teen books

1.Teen book as part of the main books with the X-men label and strong adult cast aka Wolverine and X-men or Uncanny X-men Cyclops leading Triage,Hijack, Tempus, Cuckoos, Goldballs, etc

2. Taking your full pool of Teen characters and putting the best ones on a team aka New X-men. New X-men Academy was floundering they cut back from big school concept to basically the All stars and it work. Which is why you have Childhood's end volume 1-5. Every teen book since has stuff like Young X-men,Gen Hope or Gen X which is most new or c list characters.

Simple logic would tell you that at some point behind 2008 (when New X-men ended) and 2019. They would put the highest profile group of teens they had and give them infrastructure of a book like Wolverine and the X-men or Bendis Uncanny. No book has done these two things things together. The close thing is All new X-men which feature the young O5 and then they add Oya, X23 and Genesis. Yeah the books don't sell they have been ignoring what works from our perspective.

Fantastic Member

I think for a teen/school book the concept could still work somewhat although I do like the Avengers academy idea and maybe taking that and applying it to government or even a corporate sponsored team like what Peter David had and the old Xfactor wards idea. If its the school setting thenIve always felt that Jubilee, Chamber, Husk and Kitty were perfect for that. Add Cece Reyes and Dazzler along with Bobby and Beast and Cypher and even use the Cuckoos in that role and I think you have the teachers/instructors. My roster would be the young newly manifested and future Exhumes and XSE members like Hecate, Daemon, Linqon, Amazon, Trace, Sureshot

It would only work if they use the kids from the generation of New X-men, make them a junior team and have one or two A-list X-men be part of it.

Wolverine and the Young X-Men sound good. Throw in Emma and then the new X-Men/ Academy X generation.

I will throw it out again School= Superhero college level training course , Teens= Young adults (17 to 19) , Teachers = Combat Trainer Instructors with only specific few to academics. This is proven formula this is the set up of a lot shounen anime Naruto, MHA, etc. To tweak to work for the X-men and American audiences you have to age up the setting. People are hearing school I guess they thinking boring academics,The school setting is only there for interpersonal drama between the students.

The best example I can give you in American setting is the show The Magicians which is a Magic college show. The show has had 4 seasons with upcoming 5th one and other than couple of early episodes there has been in "class work" the school but most things take place outside of the school setting. People need to think X-men superhero college not x-men high school. Then you just need to have "the elite class" aka the future members of this class "might" become X-men. Since they are college students them doing mission like real X-men isn't issue. Them not aging fast isn't a big deal because they are adults already. Current system doesn't do anyone any good character stuck as teens who can't do anything functionally in US society is annoying.

I loooooove the Youth focused titles/narratives. I do. Unabashedly so.

I love that Strain's Generation X title explored the idea that NOT EVERY MUTANT YOUTH ASPIRES TO BE A COMBATANT/SUPERHERO.
    Community and finding your tribe and bonding over shared experience and learning from each other is all VERY important and that's the value I see in youth based titles.
    It reminded me of House of M -- when young mutants weren't ALL groomed for battle. Some were learning to be ambassadors, educators, applying their skills toward peaceful resolutions, etc etc. while others (yes) were fitted toward defense and other more action/combat oriented scenarios.

I loved that.
    I'd love to see more of that.
    Not everyone needs to be a GD NINJA, you know? lol

Sometimes you're a linguist. Sometimes you're an empath. Sometimes you're a nature-whisperer. Sometimes you can curb stomp a terrorist piece of **** with your brain. Or travel at impossible speeds. Or even absorb ambient static electricity and redistribute it. Does that mean you should be electrocuting people? I mean, maybe. But you could also find other functional and beneficial methods to all that snap crackle pop too.

Paige wants to help people by way of psychology. That's beautiful.
    Dust is taking on terrorists alongside the Champions. That's rad AF.
    Hindsight would like to live life without wearing gloves or getting punched in the face. Preach.

Gimme more. I love it. I want it. Maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

I love that Strain's Generation X title explored the idea that NOT EVERY MUTANT YOUTH ASPIRES TO BE A COMBATANT/SUPERHERO.
    Community and finding your tribe and bonding over shared experience and learning from each other is all VERY important and that's the value I see in youth based titles.
    It reminded me of House of M -- when young mutants weren't ALL groomed for battle. Some were learning to be ambassadors, educators, applying their skills toward peaceful resolutions, etc etc. while others (yes) were fitted toward defense and other more action/combat oriented scenarios.

I loved that.

Sometimes you're a linguist. Sometimes you're an empath. Sometimes you're a nature-whisperer. Sometimes you can curb stomp a terrorist piece of **** with your brain. Or travel at impossible speeds. Or even absorb ambient static electricity and redistribute it. Does that mean you should be electrocuting people? I mean, maybe. But you could also find other functional and beneficial methods to all that snap crackle pop too.

Hindsight would like to live life without wearing gloves or getting punched in the face. Preach.

I could see Emma teaching a "Take advantage of your powers to become who you want to be, but in a ethical way" kind of class. Like you said, it would be neither Xavier’s or Magneto's lesson but it would be something for kids that just want to be something else besides heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

I loved that.

I love that idea, It is hard to pull off in American superhero genre but at worse the some X-men should have non combat jobs. And one of the good things about Kraokoa X-men set up, If Mutants have a society that means mutants have to fill roles and jobs.

Shortpack was born to teach. he spent a lot of time trying to get Mystique to pay attention to his powerpoint presentations.

True that not every student should be looking to become an X-man and not every mutant needs to be a hero but then that raises the problem of "why have them in the main cast?"

If they're not going to be part of the hero thing, they're mostly likely just supporting characters. And I for one don't want my favorites reduced to just supporting cast since that just boosts the chances of them getting killed off or something. They'd probably have to create new characters to fill those supporting roles and that just loops back to the problem of writers creating a bunch of random Eye-Boys and Sprites that take up space.